The Chosen Two Archive
A Buffy/Faith Fanfiction Community

The Chosen Two Archives

BROWSE BY:

Relationship [278]
Season [231]
Character
Genre

Archive Links:

Twitter
Awards
Tumblr
Links

Site Info

Members: 1535
Series: 20
Stories: 289
Chapters: 1550
Word count: 7908585
Authors: 58
Reviews: 2554
Reviewers: 156
Newest Member: Bablezmith
 

Search





Broken Souls: And The Stars That Guide Them by AKLehane
[Reviews - 24]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +

This can’t be happening. This cannot be happening. How did I let this happen? Jesus, okay, maybe she didn’t really pick up on anything…right? I mean I just said that her chemistry stuff was awesome, since when was that a pick up line? Okay I seriously need to calm down, she totally doesn’t know. Yeah, it’s fine, it’s cool. I’m totally relaxed.

Jesus Fuck!

What if she knows? I mean she’s so smart, why wouldn’t she figure it out. But then she didn’t know before. Oh my god, this is so not my brain, I don’t even think like this! Since when do I think like this? Okay, maybe I need to stop, and figure out where to go. There’s newbie’s walking round all over the place. I need to slay. Maybe I’ll get lucky and accidently slay Kennedy. Now why the fuck did I think that? Who thinks shit like that? Well at least I know it’s still my brain!

I’m just standing here like an idiot. The latch to the basement just moved, I’m guessing Sam’s giving me a heads up. I can hear chattering round the corner, yep definitely a heads up.

Okay, basement it is.

Faith sat down on the bottom step inside the dark basement with her head in her hands. She looked up quickly as she heard a glass bottle rolling on the ground towards her until it hit the side of her foot. She bent forward and picked it up, smiling at the beer.

“Thanks Sam…That’s kind of what I named you by the way.” Faith said as she looked around, half expecting a response. Faith stood up and looked around the dark basement. There were tubs of paint, plasterboard, and a couple of six packs of beer sitting in the corner. She vaguely remembered Xander saying he wanted to build a games room somewhere in the castle.

“I guess Xander and Andrew have been making a start on this place huh?”  She sighed before absentmindedly kicking an empty Bug spray can on the floor, then slowly walked back over to the bottom step and sat down again.

“I hope you’re cool with that, I dunno if this is like you’re little dark hang out?” Faith twisted the top of the beer with ease and took a long sip before wiping her mouth with her sleeve, “Not that I’d blame you, I see it’s appeal.”

Faith sighed before looking down at her beer, “I don’t suppose you saw what happened with me and Red right? Or do you just only hang here?” Again, silence.

“Okay, we gotta figure out some kind of communication, how bout you tap once for yes,” Faith tapped the step next to her as if to demonstrate, “and twice for no,” and again demonstrated by knocking on the step.

“Okay, so…Do you just hang in the basement?” Faith waited patiently but heard nothing, scoffing, she took another long sip of her beer then stood up to leave, “Well if you’re not gonna talk, then I’m not gonna hang, thanks for the beer but I gotta-“

Suddenly she heard two knocks, smiling she sat back down. She finished off her beer and put the bottle down beside her.

“Cool, so you go all over the place. I guess that’d make sense. You’d have to be some seriously depressed ghost to just wanna hang out in here all the time…Did you used to live here?” Faith nodded as she heard one knock, “That’s gotta suck, I mean having your own place then sitting back and watching as people you don’t know move in…You know what we are right? Slayers, Witches, and Watchers, oh my?”

Faith stood as she heard another single knock, she walked over to the six pack of beer, “I don’t think Xander’s gonna mind,” She said as she helped herself to a second bottle, twisting the cap off she leant against the wall, before sliding down to sit on the floor with her legs bent in front of her. She looked down, and squeezed her eyes shut, willing the tears not to fall, “…I want her so bad Sam.”

 

---------------------------

 

Willow blew on the hot cup of coffee before slowly taking a small sip.

“So, come on, what’s got Willow all upset?” Buffy said as she joined Willow at the table in her small kitchen. Very few of the bedrooms in the castle offered up an apartment style luxury, Buffy was one of the first to claim one as her own.

Willow bit her lip and stared off into the space in front of her, “I spoke to Faith, about an hour ago.”

Buffy looked surprised, “I thought you were going to leave that to Kennedy?”

“I was, but she hasn’t really been forthcoming with information, she just keeps shrugging me off,” Willow said as she placed her coffee on the table.

“Maybe she hasn’t had a chance to speak to her, have you noticed how Faith’s barely come out of her room for the past couple of days?” Buffy said as she looked at the table.

“Yeah, I have.”

“That’s gotta mean something though right?” Buffy asked hopefully, “I mean, maybe she feels really bad for what happened with Kennedy, and so she can’t face anybody? Something must have triggered it.”

Willow bit her lip again, before making eye contact with Buffy, “Faith has bruises. The other day, when the attack happened, did Kennedy mention hitting Faith?”

Buffy’s eyebrows knitted together in confusion, “No, not that I recall, the way she told it, she could barely defend herself.”

“Yeah…That’s what I thought too,” Willow said quietly.

“What are you saying? That Kennedy’s lying?”

Willow looked up at Buffy, “No, that’s not…I don’t know.” Willow rubbed at her forehead, “Buffy, I have to tell you something, and you can’t tell anybody about it. I might be wrong. But I don’t think I’m wrong, because I’m usually quite good with these things, that sounded really conceited didn’t it? Like oh, look at me, I’m so good-“

“Will.”

“Sorry, but really Buffy, can you keep this to yourself?”

Buffy leant forward and put her hand over Willows in a reassuring manner, “Absolutely Will, what is it?” Willow looked at Buffy before taking a deep breath.

“I think Faith has feelings for me.”

Buffy looked stunned at the revelation, “What?”

“She already admitted that there’s someone she likes, a girl. That was a while ago now.”

Buffy was quiet for a moment before responding, “How do you know it’s you? I mean it might not be…There’s a lot of us here, it could be…anyone” Buffy finished as she looked back up at Willow.

Willow stood up and walked to the refrigerator to get some more milk, “There’s been all these clues, that I’ve only just picked up on.” Willow sat back down at the table, “She started avoiding Kennedy a while back, out of the blue, for no reason. Plus what happened a few days ago.”

“That doesn’t really mean she has feelings for you Will, maybe she just has a problem with Kennedy? I mean…” Buffy shook her head trying to make sense of the new information.

“There’s been other things too, the way she looks at me, holds my gaze.” Willow said.

“Like how?”

“Like…I don’t even know how to explain it, just intense.”

“Faith’s always been kind of intense.”

“Which is exactly how I’ve been explaining it to myself, but it’s different. God, I could be so wrong, I just…I don’t think I am.”

Buffy found herself staring into her coffee, “Right…” She said quietly.

“Buffy, are you okay?”

“Sure, I’m just tryna figure this out.” Buffy responded with a half hearted smile.

 “Well anyway, I already tried talking to Faith about the Kennedy incident, she didn’t really bite, so I was thinking maybe, if you could try? But calmly, I can’t stress that enough!”

Buffy smiled before softly replying, “I’ll stop by her room a little later.”

“Are you sure you’re okay?”

Buffy looked up at Willow, “I’m fine, I’m just tired. I’ve had trouble sleeping the past few days.”

Willow stood, “Okay, well I better leave you to get some rest.”

“Oh no, I didn’t mean-“

Willow smiled down at Buffy, “I know you didn’t sweetie, but I promised Dawnie I’d help her look through some candidates for some on site doctors tonight. I was meant to be in the meeting room ten minutes ago.”

Buffy stood to walk Willow to the door, “Get some sleep, I’ll speak to you tomorrow,” Willow leant forward to give Buffy a hug, “And remember-“

“Not a word” She said smiling at Willow as she left. Buffy closed the door and walked over to her couch, she sat down and grabbed a cushion. Holding it close to her, she stared off into the space before her, before finally breaking down in silent tears.

 

--------------------------

 

Faith had just dusted the second of the two Vampires she had encountered that evening. Looking down at her watch she realized she should probably get back to the Castle if she was going to slip back to her room undetected. She began her walk back to one of the black cars she had taken for the night.

 

When she finally got back to the castle, she was relieved that all the lights appeared to be off. Getting back to her room quickly, she closed the door behind her, and kicked off her boots. Suddenly her light was switched on.

“What the fuck!” Faith said as she spun round, there standing by the light switch near her bed was Buffy.

“Where have you been?” Buffy asked

“How did you get in my room?” Faith replied confused

“Don’t change the subject”

“I’m not changing the subject-“

“Do you know what time it is?”

“B, why are you in here?” Faith said as she begun taking off her jacket and undoing her leg holster with her stake. Buffy walked around the bed and over to Faith near the entrance to the room.

“I just needed to speak to …” Suddenly Buffy sniffed close to Faith, “Have you been drinking!?”

Faith rolled her eyes and moved around Buffy, to her bed, “I’m a big girl B, what’s your deal?”

Buffy looked over at Faith as if she’d grown another head, “What’s my deal? You took one of the cars tonight! You can’t drink and drive Faith!” She then pointed at the stake in the holster which had been flung on the chair, “You went slaying! You got drunk, drove a car and went slaying!”

Faith lay back on the bed and looked up at the ceiling, “I guess I did.”

Buffy shook her head in disbelief, “You are so irresponsible it’s unreal, you could have been killed Faith.”

“Yeah well, it comes with the job, hey could you switch the light off,” Faith said sleepily.

Buffy walked over to Faith on the bed and grabbed hold of her foot, then with one quick motion pulled Faith off of the bed and onto the floor, “Get up!”

Faith stood up and faced Buffy, “You know, you’re really starting to piss me off B.”

“Oh I’m shaking F?” Buffy said as she pushed Faith back

“You should be,” Faith replied, getting back into Buffy’s space.

“Why? What are you gonna do? Beat on me like you did with Kennedy? Then go hide in your room feeling guilty for a week!” Faith looked confused before Buffy continued, “I guess it’s a step up from hiding in basements.”

“What are you talking about?” Faith said.

“You, beating the crap out of Kennedy.” Buffy replied.

Faith sighed before turning around to sit on the bed, “Jesus is that why you’re here? You got it wrong B, we were sparring. Ask Ken, she’ll straighten it out.”

“Why did you do it?”

“Do what B! I told you, we were sparring, what the hell is-“

“Why did you get drunk, and then put yourself in danger Faith,” Buffy said, this time with no aggression.

Faith looked up at Buffy, “Cos.”

“That’s not an answer.”

Faith looked down into her lap and was quiet. Buffy walked over to the bed and sat down next to her.

“Did ya ever want something so bad, but it’s too far outta your reach?” Faith finally said without looking up,  “I have, a couple of times at least,” Faith continued as she looked up and met Buffy’s eyes. Faith suddenly broke eye contact and stood, “B I’m tired, I gotta sleep.”

Buffy looked up at Faith who was now stood at an open drawer half heartedly and slowly rummaging through it.

Buffy took a deep shaky breath before replying, “Faith, maybe some things aren’t as far out of your reach as you think” She stood from the bed and walked over to Faith, who had her back to her, and gently put her hand on her arm. “Maybe if you open up a little more, make it a little clearer as to what it is you want, then things might fall into place.”

“Yeah cos that works every time,” Faith said as she gripped the sides of the drawer.

Buffy gently turned Faith around to face her, “What are you so afraid of?”

Faith looked at Buffy, “Why are you here B?” She said softly.

As if the words snapped her out of a trance Buffy took a step back, “I just, I heard you were out, I was just worried-“

Faith scoffed at this, before walking over to the door, “Yeah well thanks for the totally weird concern, but as you can see, I’m five by five. So…” Faith trailed as she held the door open for Buffy to leave.

Buffy looked at Faith, before quietly leaving the room.

 

-------------------------

 

Willow looked around the room at all the faces staring at her expectantly. She sighed as she realized Faith was missing.

“Okay, so, as some of you know, Andrew, Xander, and I have been working on a neat little security necklace,” Willow said as she put her hand on the box in front of her.

“Like a protection spell thingy?” Dawn asked.

Willow opened the box and pulled one out for everyone to see, “Kind of, only way more effective, and only effective in and up to a radius of a mile around the castle.”

“I don’t get it, how does it work?” Kennedy said as she took one out of the box to study more closely.

“They’re chipped,” Andrew said excitedly, Kennedy looked closer at the cross pendent, “You can’t see the chip silly, it’s tiny!”

“Its all to do with the security center, it connects back to the castle, which is why we only have the lame one mile radius,” Xander added, “There’s also witchy magic involved.”

Kennedy passed the pendent to Buffy then looked at Willow, “Why didn’t you tell me you were working on this?”

Willow looked back at Kennedy and tried not to look annoyed, “…I did.”

“Okay, so it’s chipped and it’s magic, what does it do?” Buffy asked

“It’s a no violence spell, they had something similar set up when I was in LA, we’ve just tinkered with it.” Willow smiled as she watched Buffy put it on, before standing up to look in the mirror.

“Ooh pretty.” Buffy said smiling.

Kennedy walked up to Buffy and threw a punch at her jaw, knocking Buffy over a couple of chairs. “It doesn’t work,” Kennedy said casually.

Everyone immediately got to their feet and prepared themselves for the worst.

“What the hell is wrong is with you!?” Willow shouted at Kennedy.

“I was just testing it! Jeez!”

Willow shook her head before turning to Buffy who was already on her feet again looking like she was trying to keep herself calm, “Buffy are you okay?”

“I’m fine,” Buffy replied whilst looking at Kennedy. Everyone began to relax again as soon as it was clear no fight was about to break out.

Willow quickly rubbed the side of her head and decided to finish the meeting quickly, “It didn’t work so to speak, because it only works on demons, if it stopped humans from fighting then you’d all have problems when you’re training here in the castle. If you had let me finish, you would have known that,” directing the last part at Kennedy.

“Anyway, they’re not completely finished, I just wanted to show you guys what we had so far, and the general idea of it,” Willow began packing the necklaces back into the box before handing it to Xander.

Willow walked out of the meeting room, leaving Dawn to explain the upcoming arrival of their first on site doctor.

“Will, wait up.”

Willow stopped and turned to see Buffy catching up with her.

“I think it’s a great idea you know,” Buffy said

“Thanks, I’m not really sure if it’ll be successful, we’ll have to trial and error it,” Willow replied as the two girls began walking towards the stairs, “I’m sorry about Kennedy.”

“You don’t have to apologize for her, she’s a brat, an annoying brat,” Buffy stated

Willow remained silent, which prompted Buffy to continue “Sorry, I know she’s you’re girlfriend, it’s just…”

Willow shook her head, “No don’t be sorry,” she looked around to make sure they were alone, “To be honest Buffy, she’s getting on my nerves a lot lately…I’m thinking about breaking it off.”

Buffy nodded, “Not gonna lie, I’ve seen it coming for a while.”

Willow pushed open the door that led to the stairwell, “ I just haven’t got the energy to deal with it anymore, I’m like a sink,” Buffy raised her eyebrows as she looked over at Willow, whilst they slowly began to climb the stairs.

“Say what now?”

Willow stopped and sighed before taking a seat on one of the steps, “I’m a sink,” Willow repeated looking up at her best friend.

“Erm, are you talking about like…a bathroom-“

“Tara used to fill me up, Kennedy just drains me.”

Buffy sat down next to her friend, “You will find someone like that again Will, I promise.”

“Yeah, maybe, or maybe I just need to be on my own for a while.” Willow said slightly downcast.

Buffy smiled then nudged Willow with her shoulder, “Hey, being single isn’t so bad, look at me and Xander! We hang out and watch movies in our pajamas, you could join us.”

“When do you guys do that?” Willow said not looking convinced.

“Friday nights, after patrol, there’s popcorn!”

“Really?”

“Yep, it’s not as depressing as it sounds, we have a strict rule, the only movies allowed are the ones that are so bad they’re brilliant!”

“That actually does sound like fun,” Willow smiled.

“It’ll be like old times, before things got so complicated, with things like, oh I dunno, our memories being altered to accommodate Dawn, my multiple deaths.”

“Me trying to destroy the world, and trying to kill you guys.”

“All of us destroying Sunnydale, the only place that ever felt like home.”

“Yeah…It’ll be fun.”

“Yeah…Fun.” Both girls sat for a moment before Buffy broke the silence.

“Wouldn’t you technically be the water?”

“I’m the sink Buffy” Willow stood and held her hand down to Buffy to pull her to her feet, before they continued up the stairs.


Chapter Views: 7719




Please note: If you are using IE (particularly IE9) and having problems with the review form, try turning off text editor. Otherwise, try a different browser.