The Chosen Two Archive
A Buffy/Faith Fanfiction Community

The Chosen Two Archives

BROWSE BY:

Relationship [278]
Season [231]
Character
Genre

Archive Links:

Twitter
Awards
Tumblr
Links

Site Info

Members: 1528
Series: 20
Stories: 289
Chapters: 1547
Word count: 7905728
Authors: 58
Reviews: 2554
Reviewers: 156
Newest Member: BRBonobo
 

Search





Vacation Girl by Bobbi
[Reviews - 8]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +

                                  Vacation Girl

 

When Giles heard the commotion outside his office window, he put down his pen and swiveled his chair to see what was happening. The sight that greeted him was basically what he'd expected: Buffy and Faith were roughhousing in the pool. They were yelling threats and laughing as they splashed seemingly half its contents of the pool out onto the surrounding deck, and as he watched, Faith got the best of Buffy. She shoved her head under the water, then began swimming like an Olympian for the stairs. He smiled because both he and Faith knew she had absolutely no chance of escaping, and sure enough just as she began exiting to safety, Buffy had her.

She yanked Faith off the first step, and with a few quick moves held her cradled at the water line like a mother introducing her baby to her first swimming pool. Faith began talking a mile a minute, her eyes big and her considerable charm turned on to maximum effect. It appeared to do the trick as Buffy leaned down to kiss her, but just as Faith began to respond, The Slayer made her appearance. Giles chuckled at the openmouthed look of surprise on Faith's face as she sailed high into the air, splashing down hard in the deep end and wondering where her kiss went.

By the time she broke the surface and coughed out a few gallons of water, Buffy was already stretched out on a lounge chair, her sunglasses and large hat in place as she relaxed in the sun. Giles saw Faith laugh, her hair straggling around her face and hanging down over her eyes before she dunked under again and slicked it back neatly against her head as she emerged. She hoisted herself out of the pool, then angrily stalked – if one could angrily stalk while smiling with total love and admiration – the few necessary steps it took to place her within range. She stood there dripping water all over Buffy until Buffy began smiling and pulled her glasses down to look over them at her. She crooked her finger and Faith wasted no time in leaning down to deliver a kiss which this time was fully returned, no tricks included.

Faith sat on the chair with Buffy and picked up the can of Diet Coke sitting on the table next to them. She made a disgusted face as she swallowed, and Buffy said something that made Faith scowl before hooking the front of Faith's bikini top and pulling her down for another kiss. Faith's smile nearly outshone the sun as she stood and made her way to her own chair. She sprawled out, rested her head back, then linked her hand with Buffy's to bridge the slight distance between their chairs. Giles smiled as he spun around to his desk, but instead of getting back to the task at hand, he found his mind staying put with his two favorite Slayers.

Buffy and Faith. A couple in love, something that had seemed so impossible at the start and yet now seemed right as rain. It hadn't been easy for them, finding true love seldom was for anyone, but then they were Buffy and Faith and doing the impossible was – "Right in our wheelhouse, G-Man."

Indeed it was and he'd seen that proven time and time again by both girls. As he leaned back comfortably in his chair, he recalled a time when all had not been so – "peachy with a side of keen".  He couldn't help but feel proud of the role he had played, because although they were certainly the ones who had done all the work, Giles had ended up being the catalyst that propelled them forward to where they now were.

"Good show, Rupert."

***************

"Would you like to?"

"Sure, could use a fifteen second workout."

Willow used her cheeriest voice:

"Hey, guys? Maybe we could focus on…"

"Are you're planning to perform a miracle? Because you have never, ever been able to take me."

"Well things change, Blondie. Picked up some new moves playin' with the big girls in the joint."

Xander took his turn:

"Good points, Buffster, Slay Gal. So now that we've got that out of the way, why don't we all just…"

"Oh, you're so cool, Faith! Hey, maybe you can wrassle an alligator for us after the meeting."

"Yeah, maybe I can. Still give me plenty of time to pull that cork outta your ass."

Giles was right on cue and hitting his mark perfectly:

"Might you two please be quiet and let us discuss the impending apocalypse?"

He waited a beat to see if the peace would hold, then satisfied that it would, he carried on.

"Willow, does the Coven feel our timeline is accurate?"

"We are right on the money, so we need to be in place anywhere between midnight and two a.m. for the spells to work. Cassandra thinks two Slayers to start, then we can add three more. That should be just the right balance of our good versus their big evil. Any more than that and we're going to have an essence overload, so not something we want."

Xander paused before taking another bite of his sandwich:

"Then after the Slayer essence, it's just mano a mano with our manos?"

"Yep, along with a little witchy mojo, which should give us a huge advantage."

Buffy leaned over to take a sip of Xander's drink and then grabbed Willow's chips.

"So then it's me and Faith at the start?"

"No B, it's you and Andrew."

"Shut up, Faith. I was just clarifying."

"Yeah? Well I'm sick of how your clarifying always makes me second string."

With that said, she snatched the bag of chips off Buffy's lap.

"Um, guys? I'm not really done with those yet."

Buffy sat back with Xander's drink in her hand.

"That's just stupid. Stop looking for something to make a thing about."

"I don't gotta look, you screw me over left and right."

"Uh, Buff? I still need liquid, so could you give me back my drink?"

Buffy didn't hear him as she looked around the room with exaggerated concern:

"Does anyone see it?"

"What kinda bullshit are you slingin' now?"

"I just want to be ready with the violin for your daily pity party."

Willow tried, but she couldn't quite reach her chips:

"Faith, could I maybe have a couple of…"

But Faith was already tipping her head back and shaking out every last crumb. She tossed the empty bag onto Giles' desk, much to his displeasure.

"Nothin's ever on you, is it, Princess? Tell you what: why don't you take Kennedy with you, you're such a fucking hotshot."

"Me? I'm the hotshot? You're the one who's always: 'No back-up needed, G-man', then you're dragging back here with your arm torn off."

"It's called dislocated and that happened twice. Least I'm not in everybody's business and jumping down my throat whenever shit goes sideways."

Giles' glasses were off as he rubbed a hand over his face:

"For God's sake, will you two stop this incessant bickering?"

Buffy threw Xander's empty drink container into the trashcan across the room.

"So what, Faith – I'm just a nagging bitch for no reason at all?"

"Shoe fits so perfect, Blondie, you couldn't pull it off if your life was at stake."

"How about I give it a wicked try and then shove a stake…"

"Be quiet! Both of you!"

They jumped in their seats and stopped talking.

"Need I remind you that this is a serious meeting about, yes, saving the world? Do you think you could perhaps put aside your childish squabbling for five minutes and concentrate on the important task at hand?"

"I didn't start it, Giles! She's always pulling this crap and I'm…"

"Wanna shut it down? Then tell Ms. High and Mighty here to…"

"ENOUGH!!! Not one more word from either of you!"

He could feel the beginning of a headache and squeezed the back of his neck.

"Now then, I have your…yes, here they are…recommendations. As usual, you both agree when it comes to the actual slaying part of things and have selected Vi, Cho-Ahn, and Jackie to form the second wave. While the first two are to be expected…"

"Jackie's ready, Giles. She just needs some experience and she can't get it if she's never included."

He nodded at Buffy and looked to Faith.

"Last couple of months, she's advanced like crazy, 'specially after B gave her a few weeks of one on one. Definitely deserves a shot."

"That's fine. Willow, what time should we meet tomorrow night?"

She'd retrieved her empty chip bag and was staring at it longingly.

"What? Oh, we need to leave by 10:30 so we'll have plenty of time to get there and get set-up."

"And Xander?"

"I've already got the van fully stocked and loaded, but I'll want to double check and you know how Will always has some last minute surprise."

"Do not."

"Do too."

Giles picked up his glasses and began cleaning them with his handkerchief:

"It seems we have everything well in hand.  Buffy, Faith, please inform the Slayers you've selected as to the requirements of the mission, and let them know there will be a Watcher/Slayer meeting at noon tomorrow. All five of you are off duty tonight, please make sure they understand that. Anything else we need to go over today?"

There was nothing and Giles happily put his glasses back on:

"Splendid! Meeting adjourned."

They left, Xander rather loudly proclaiming he was going to die if he didn't get a drink and Buffy and Faith arguing about who was going to tell which Slayers. He let out a sigh of relief when he could no longer hear them and leaned back in his chair. It reclined comfortably with him, and now in the lovely silence, his headache was already beginning to dissipate, even though his mind was still trying to puzzle out just what in the devil was going on.

Why Buffy and Faith seemed of late to be engaged in a nearly continuous battle was a mystery to him as well as to everyone else. While it was certainly true that they had a long and mostly unpleasant history between them, they had managed to work together while remaining civil during the last days of Sunnydale. That civility continued, seeming to indicate that with enough time an actual friendship might eventually develop between them.

They'd certainly gotten off on the right foot. The day after their escape from Sunnydale, Giles had called for a lunch meeting in his hotel room. They were only in L.A. as a temporary stop until they could figure out what their next move should be, and Giles wanted to put some sort of plan in place as quickly as possible. When the meal was finished, he reached for his notepad:

"Right then. Last night I wrote out a list of some possible…"

"Giles, could you hang on a sec? Before this gets started, I'm wondering where I belong. Rather not go back to prison, I'm thinking I can do more good out here. But I get you guys might not see it that way, so you want me to turn myself in, consider it done."

He could still see her huge smile when Buffy answered without delay:

"No jail. You fought with us, held the line every time we needed you to. You belong right here."

They settled in Cleveland, the presence of a Hellmouth making that decision for them. Once Willow managed to gain access to The Council's coffers, money was not an issue and likely never would be again. They purchased an old abandoned hotel situated on several acres, bought up all of the surrounding land, and got to work on gutting and revamping the entire hotel. Having everyone involved made everything so much easier, and Giles was hugely relieved that Buffy had decided to stay.

The lingering tension that had arisen during the Fall of Sunnydale was resolved fairly quickly. The explanations had been given, the effects of a wide open Hellmouth had been discussed, and the apologies had been offered and accepted. With a speed that amazed even those involved, everyone was back on solid ground, safeguarded by Xander's promise for the future:

"Nobody needs to worry, I'm going to be keeping an eye on things."

Buffy had always thought she wanted out, but then when her chance for freedom came, she realized she had no desire to take it. All she really wanted was a long vacation, a chance to relax and laze around, to maybe sleep for a month straight, and do a little sightseeing whenever the mood struck her, safe in the knowledge that the world was continuing on just fine without her. In twelve weeks she was back – her time in Miami leaving her tan, rested, and healthy with some much needed meat on her bones. She looked younger than she had in years, and it was plain to see that she was happier and more relaxed than any of them had ever seen her. Buffy was home.

All roads still led right to her, she was still in charge, but it was clearly no longer a burden on her. The Potentials had talked among themselves and now that they were no longer terrified every minute of every day, they finally understood what they just couldn't grasp when they were in the thick of it: Buffy Summers was The Slayer.

They had all seen the blood spattering down her shirt to her jeans, had all seen her hit the ground as the pain roared through her. They had all seen her third death fast approaching, had seen The First wearing her face as it taunted her about her final defeat that was just minutes away. It was over. Her troops were overwhelmed, she was mortally wounded, and the world was lost.

Until Buffy Summers got to her feet.

The First's chosen face revealed its confusion, then its terror…There was no way she could be getting up. But the girl who had broken all the rules right from the start still refused to follow the script, and the surge of power that burst through them was hers. They fought with renewed strength, charged with her essence, and then The Slayer taught them again.

The vampire only she had believed in, the man she had trusted without a doubt suddenly blazed forth with everything in him, and he had made all the difference. Buffy had given him her body, her pain, her love, her friendship, and her protection, and he had repaid her by simply saving the world.

Buffy Summers deserved their respect and she got it. She was their leader, their role model, the woman who did the impossible time after time. She had her Watcher, her Scooby Gang, and now she had them. This group of Slayers, formerly known as The Potentials, were now onboard all the way and always would be.

She also had Faith – The Dark Slayer, as Andrew constantly referred to her, much to her aggravation:

"Listen up, you little freak. I hear it one more time, gonna show you how dark I can be."

Everything was fine at first. Faith was an enormous help and she fit in with everyone, including Buffy. But as time passed they suddenly began picking at each other, pushing buttons in the other that only they could see. They argued over everything and nothing, teasing each other relentlessly until someone invariably went too far, and then they were off to the races. The only time they never fought was when they were slaying. Then they were totally in sync, two different styles somehow meshing together to form an unbeatable team. They trusted each other completely, neither girl ever seeming to entertain even a sliver of doubt when it came to her partner. They put their lives in each other's hands on a regular basis, no questions asked, but answers given every single time.

After a particularly good slay, they'd be in a great mood for days, laughing, teasing, and hanging around together like long time pals. But all too soon they'd lapse into the poking and prodding relationship that came to them so easily, and the tension would be back with no real explanation of why.

He was pulled from his reverie by the ringing of his desk phone:

"Hello?"

"Giles, will you please come tell this stupid delivery man that I do have the authority to sign for deliveries?"

"Why is there any confusion? Is he new?"

"He is totally mint condition."

Giles wasn't quite sure he understood, but he knew better than to ask for an explanation. He was already on his feet.

"I'll be right there."

"Thank you, you're a peach."

Giles headed to the kitchen:

"Aren't I just?"

***************

The knock came right on time and Buffy was ready. She knew Willow was the Queen of Punctuality, even when they were just going out like tonight to celebrate their victory. She grabbed her keys and some money off the coffee table, then opened the door.

"How impressed are you that I'm ready, Will?"

"Hey, B. Red got hung up downtown, so I'm your ride."

"Oh."

With just one word, Faith's hackles began to rise.

"Look, if it's such a problem, catch a cab."

"What? No, it's not a problem. God, do you always have to make a thing?"

"Me? You're the one lookin' like I just shit in your cereal."

Buffy rolled her eyes:

"No, I'm lookin' like I'm surprised you're not Willow."

"Ya want a ride or not?"

"Are you taking your bike?"

"Was gonna 'til I got 'Her Highness' duty. Now I'm stuck with a company car and…"

Buffy shoved Faith backwards and stepped out into the hallway with her, closing the door as she went.

"Shut up, Faith. I just wanted to know if I needed to tie my hair back."

They walked without speaking down the stairs and outside to the SUV parked in front. Faith opened Buffy's door with a sarcastic flourish and Buffy got in, yanking the door from Faith's hand and slamming it shut. Faith got in on the driver's side and gave her own door the same treatment before peeling out of the driveway, skidding slightly and spraying gravel as they went. They drove through the countryside in a silence thick with tension for several minutes until they reached town and stopped for a red light.

Faith blew out a big sigh, then turned to look at Buffy who was staring out the passenger window.

"I'm sorry, Buffy. We're supposed to be celebrating and I didn't mean to…I don't know why I always…ya know?"

It took a beat, but then Buffy's eyes met hers:

"I know. We're way too touchy with each other and it's stupid. We need to move on and just let the past be the past. It's different now."

Faith grinned and spat in her hand before she offered it to Buffy:

"Deal."

"You expect me to touch your spitty hand? Voluntarily?"

"Yeah, it's how you seal the deal, B."

"With saliva?"

Faith rolled her eyes:

"Look, I didn't invent it alright, so enough with the ball busting. Shake."

Buffy reached out, her grip firm and true. As they let go, she wiped her palm on Faith's jeans. Faith laughed as the light turned green and she hit the gas.

***************

The Slayer Peace Accord didn't last for long and all too soon they were back at it, arguing over any and everything as everyone around them tried their hand at solving the problem. Willow finally stepped up to the plate, convinced she had a surefire winner.

"Okay, so here's how it works. Every time one of you says something mean about the other, you have to put a dollar in the can. We'll keep track in this Hello Kitty notebook and at the end of every week, I'll tally up who's said the fewest insults and they get to keep the money, unless you want to donate it to a good cause."

"Will, this seems a little on the excessive side. If Faith would just learn to shut up before she…"

"Me? You think this is on me? You got a fuckin' mouth that could…"

Willow rushed to intervene before they got out of hand:

"See? So you'd each owe a dollar, but we'll give you those as a freebie because we're still in the explanation phase. Okay, so I'll put the P Can right here on Giles' desk for easy access. Of course you'll be on the honor system when none of us are with you, but I know we can trust you guys."

Faith stood up, digging in her pocket as she headed for the door. She dropped in two twenties and a ten as she passed by:

"There, that oughta cover me for a coupla days. Better toss a Benjamin, Blondie."

"Go to hell, Faith."

Her voice was easy to hear from the hallway:

"Already there."

The Penalty Can didn't do a thing to slow them down, so all that remained was an intervention. Giles, Willow, Xander, Dawn, Kennedy, Vi, Cho-Ahn, Rona, and Andrew were determined to present a unified front as they listed out specific examples of how The Chosen Two's fighting had upset them.

Xander was nominated to bring Faith to Giles' office, and he had proven to be more than man enough for the task:

"My wallet's got to be here, Faith. It'll just take a sec and then we can get going."

"Well, hurry up. Wanna make sure we see the trailers. They got the new Dark Knight one…Hey, what's everybody here for?"

There was no time to reply as they heard Buffy approaching with Dawn, who had also proven herself to be more than woman enough:

"No, Dawn, I don't think he's cute. He looks like a werewolf."

"It's called a beard, Buffy. Lots of guys have them."

"True, but not all complete with the slobber he….Uh, what's going on?"

Everyone was seated on the couch and chairs in the sitting area off to the side of Giles' desk. Willow sprang up when the Slayers got closer and took them each by the arm, guiding them to the two empty chairs across from everyone else on the opposite side of the coffee table.

"Here Buffy, you sit here and Faith you sit here."

She was smiling, but Buffy could tell that she was nervous.

"What's going on, Will?"

Her quick change of expression revealed her panic as her gaze searched for Giles. He was right there and ready:

"Girls, please be seated. We need to speak with you."

Faith sat first, casually slinging her leg over the arm of her chair.

"Must be big since Red's eyes are rollin' like a scared horse."

Buffy sat as well, although she couldn't pretend to be relaxed like Faith was. She thought she knew what was happening, she'd been involved in one before, twice kind of, if she counted their general disapproval when it came to Spike.

"What's with the dire, guys?"

Everyone was quiet until Giles cleared his throat and began:

"We've asked you here because…well, because this is an intervention."

Faith's laughter rang out loud in the room:

"So B's hittin' the sauce hard? What's she up to now: half a beer?"

"Shut up, Faith. It's obviously you and your three-ways with Sam Adams and Jack Daniels."

"I don't have a problem! Just 'cause I don't gotta have an umbrella in every..."

Xander interrupted:

"Nobody drinks too much, okay? What you're doing right now is what we're here for."

With that, the intervention began in earnest and it didn't go too well. First it was Willow with her "I" statements:

"I feel like you guys argue too much." 

Then it was Kennedy's turn to do the apparently girlfriend ordered "I" statements:

 "I feel like I can't stand either of you at any time, and when you argue I want to kill you both."

Andrew spoke up next, clearly jumping his designated spot in line and speaking up way too soon. In hindsight it was clearly their fatal mistake, derailing the intervention before it ever really got going.

"Three days ago you guys came into the kitchen together. You seemed so happy, but then…

Giles did his best:

"Andrew, perhaps now is not the time for you to…"

"No, Giles! Let me get this out!"

He wiped at the tears trickling down his cheeks:

"But then there was only one cannoli left and I said you could eat it together and enjoy the moonlight like Lady and The Tramp. But that image was ruined because you guys got mad and started arguing. It made my tummy rumble."

There was utter silence until:

"Are you fuckin' kidding? Breathing in and out makes your tummy rumble."

"We're sorry, Andrew. We know you're nervous and get upset easily, so we'll try really hard to stop arguing in the kitchen. That goes for everybody…not the nervous or the kitchen, although that too if that happens, but the stopping doing and the upset…Right, Faith?"

Faith stood up:

"Like I got a clue what the hell you're saying. Anyways, yeah, I'll tone it down. Later."

And just like that she left and all eyes turned to Buffy.

"Good talk, guys. Message received loud and clear, although who knows with Faith, right? She's not exactly the poster girl for reasonableness, but she does love your cannoli, Andrew. I think I'll turn in early. Night!"

She was gone and after a few seconds of stunned silence, Xander began clapping:

"Okay, hats off to us for the lamest intervention ever! Giles, have you seen my…"

Giles handed him his wallet and dismissed them all.

***************

"Alls I'm sayin' is, there's other ways to do it."

Buffy had promised herself that she wouldn't let Faith get to her, but after counting in her head to maintain her patience, she felt more than justified in at least rolling her eyes as she reached six hundred and sixty-six.

"Yes, Ms. Lehane, I 'm sure there are, but this is the way we're doing it today."

Faith was already shaking her head:

"Great, but if you're in a sitch where you can't be on the level…"

"We're not teaching Advanced Sitches, we're demonstrating the basics. Girls, pick a dummy and line up in front of it. We'll…"

"I'm thinking it'd be better if me and you did it."

Buffy smiled her best fake smile:

"Ms. Lehane, may I see you in the hall for a moment?"

The class tittered and giggled, craning their necks to see what was going to happen, but Buffy shut the door firmly, taking them out of sight and making the soundproofing of the workout room complete.

"What with the time wasting, B?"

"What the hell are you doing, Faith? In case you didn't know, this is my class. You're just supposed to be observing, not butting in and disagreeing with everything I say."

Faith shook her head in disagreement:

"No, I'm doin' a guest spot and making great suggestions you, as usual, don't wanna take."

"Listen, I don't know why you thought coming here was a good idea, but I'm being gracious by letting you sit in."

"Man, if this is your version of gracious, you seriously need to pull your head outta your ass. From the second I got here, you've been a bitch. And here I thought we agreed to cool it after the intervention?"

Buffy wanted to knock the smile right off of Faith's smug face:

"So you stroll in with: 'Alright, nobody overreact. The real teach is here, so let's get to it!'"

Faith laughed.

"Oh brother, now Little Miss Tightly Wound can't handle a joke either?"

Buffy's eyes narrowed:

"I can handle jokes just fine, especially when they're funny. The problem is you're not trying to be funny, you're being a jerk because you're mad."

"Is that right, Buffy?"

"You know it is, Faith."

"No, what I know is I'm all done playin' games with you. Now if you'll please excuse me, Your Fucking Highness."

She banged hard into Buffy's shoulder as she headed for the classroom door, and Buffy saw red. She grabbed onto Faith arm and spun her around until they were face to face again.

"Faith, you're not going back in there and don't touch me again."

"Yeah? Or what?"

They stood there glaring at each other, then the smirk that never preceded anything good appeared on Faith's face. She raised her finger slowly and deliberately, and then she poked Buffy's shoulder.

"Touch."

Buffy punched her backwards into the door and the loud thud alerted Buffy's students that something big was going down in the hallway. They struggled to pull the door open, a tougher task than normal since the frame was damaged from the impact. They eventually wrested it open, then crowded in the doorway to get a look at the Original Slayers duking it out. They were squared off –Faith with a bruise already forming on her cheek and Buffy's ponytail pulled half loose and a spot of blood on her lip. Shouts went up, bets started being hollered, and then just like that the fight was over.

Willow had heard the commotion and poked her head out to see what could possibly being going on. Her eyes saw it, but her mind could hardly comprehend what she was looking at. She magicked them apart instantly as she stepped fully out of her classroom, sending each of them sliding along the linoleum until they crashed hard into the wall several doors down. A groan was heard on impact from both ends of the hall, but Willow spoke quickly over the sounds:

"Hey, let's hear it for Ms. Summers and Ms. Lehane! What a great job of acting!"

Willow led the clapping that was tentative at first, but then began picking up speed.

"Your assignment, due tomorrow, is to write up your observations, including when you think everything first started. Explain how a Slayer always has to be prepared for the unexpected, as well as be aware of all the little details, no matter how crazy the circumstances are. Class dismissed!"

The students filed out, talking excitedly:

"I told you Ms. Summers never loses her temper. What an act!"

"Yeah, and Ms. Lehane's way too much fun to be such an irritating jerk!"

"Big deal, I knew what they were doing the whole time."

Willow turned back to her own class, some of whom were also out of their seats and staring into the hallway.

"Okay guys, let's get started on all the known indicators that various spells are at work. Susan, please go to the board and write down any suggestions from the class. I'll be back in a jiff."

She closed the door and stood waiting as Buffy and Faith slowly made their way over to her. Neither said a word and Willow quickly got tired of waiting:

"Are you two out of your minds?"

Both Slayers were focused on the floor, two little kids being scolded by their teacher.

"You think it's okay to fight in front of your class?"

Buffy saw her opening and took it:

"No, Will, of course not. That's why we were out here!"

Willow's expression was not at all reassuring.

"Are you hearing yourself, Buffy?"

"Yes, I mean no! I mean, I had no intention of fighting until she started it."

"Me? You were the one who got in my face and practically dared me!"

Willow shook her head in disbelief.

"Are you both five years old? Giles is so not going to be a happy camper when he hears about this."

"He doesn't need to know, Will, it'll just make him mad."

"Yeah, no sense gettin' G-Man all riled. Let's just keep it between us."

"Keep it between us? Faith, you do know that at least half the school already knows by now, don't you? Even if they bought my cover story, which most probably didn't, you two were going at it full Slayer in the hallway. Giles is definitely going to hear all about it."

Faith turned on the charm full force and Buffy watched hopefully.

"Hey, Red…So maybe you could, I don't know…maybe magic the class so they kinda forget what they saw. I know you got some wicked mojo and know how to use it, so…"

"Oh I see. You're beautiful with dimples a girl could get lost in, so I should use dangerous magicks to get you out of the trouble you've created by acting stupid? Right, Faith, I'll get right on that."

They were both back to staring at the floor.

"I don't have any more time to discuss this right now. I'm actually being a grownup and teaching a class. My advice to you guys is to go tell him right now, maybe he'll be less mad if he hears it from you first."

She shook her head and paused before she opened the door to her classroom:

"If this is toning it down, Goddess help us if you two ever ramp it up."

***************

"Buffy, Faith, please have a seat."

He gestured to the two chairs in front of his desk and they sat down trying to hide their nervousness. The scuffle during Buffy's class had happened nearly six days ago and in all that time Giles hadn't said a word about it. They'd been on their best behavior since then and were just starting to feel confident that they'd gotten away with it. But now there was this weird and unexpected meeting with just the three of them, and they were suddenly no longer sure.

Giles' next words put them both at ease:

"I've made up the schedule for next month, and I'm going to be trying something new. I was hoping to get your input. Tea, Buffy?"

She gave him a happy smile:

"That would be great."

"Root beer for you, Faith?"

"Yeah, definitely hit the spot."

He took a bottle out of the small refrigerator behind his desk, handed it to Faith, then picked up two copies of the schedule.

"If you girls would please look these over whilst I prepare the tea."

Faith unscrewed the cap and sailed it into the trashcan across the room.

"What kinda changes, G-Man?"

He came around the desk and gave Buffy her tea, then leaned back against his desk sipping his own.

"I've switched a few assignments around and…"

"Hey, what the hell is this?!"

"Giles, you made a mistake on mine."

He held up a hand to silence them.

"Let me respond to you as one, shall I? What the hell this is, is most definitely not a mistake. You are each assigned, as you both so charmingly refer to it as – 'Newbie Patrol'. That's all night, each and every night."

"What?!"

Said in a perfect unison of horrified outrage.

"You will not be slaying in any other capacity and if you'll further consult your extremely personalized schedules, you will find the majority of your daily activities are also booked solid with weapons maintenance and the grading of all written tests and papers for a wide variety of classes. Consider these schedules to be in effect for the foreseeable future."

"G-Man, come on now. Let's not get our nuts in an uproar."

She smiled her biggest, friendliest smile, the one that made her look slightly insane, but Giles didn't flinch.

"All of my anatomy is completely calm, I assure you."

Buffy rolled her eyes at Faith while looking at Giles. Her intent was to band them together against the idiot sitting next to her, but instead the effect made her look like a serial killer.

"Giles, while I totally agree that we should have come to you and that Faith probably needs to be taught a lesson, I'm sure we don't need to throw the baby out in my bathwater."

He nodded, then took a sip of his tea before speaking:

"Yes well, all cheery mangling aside, Buffy, you both insist on behaving like children. We've tried several options and yet the two of you persist. Therefore I am now forced to take this rather extreme action in an attempt to resolve what has become a rather serious problem."

"But Newbie Patrol? Every night? Grading papers and whittling stakes every day? Giles, I'll go nuts!"

"Too late."

"Shut up, Buffy."

"If you've a complaint, I'd suggest you take it up with the members of The Watchers' Council."

"You're the only one on the fucking Council!"

Giles removed his glasses and began cleaning them:

"Yes, I suppose that's rather unfortunate for you in circumstances such as this."

"Giles, we'll be good from here on out, we promise."

Faith nodded, clasping Buffy's hand in her own and then holding it aloft:

"Forget promises, B! We pledge our allegiance to…to Slayer solidarity or some other stup…important shi...crap"

Buffy's smile was radiant:

"Yep, boy have we learned our lesson, Giles! It's stuff just like this that makes you the best Watcher ever! You always know when a scare is just as effective as really doing something."

Giles finished his tea and picked up Buffy's nearly full cup, placing them on the sideboard before sitting down behind his desk.

"Girls, all this flattery, as well as your promises and pledges, are pointless. The assignments stand. We'll review your progress each month and decide then if we need to make any adjustments or simply stay the course. I suspect that course staying's gonna be the fuckin' deal, for quite some time."

They released their hands and went into sulking mode, and Giles wanted to laugh out loud. Both had their bottom lips thrust out, their arms folded across their chests, and were glaring a hole through the floor. He let them stew for a couple of minutes, then let out a rather theatrical sigh:

"Oh all right, perhaps there is some room for compromise."

Two heads shot up eagerly.

"Anything, Giles!"

Name it, ya got it!"

"You shall meet with one another twice a week, during which time you will share a meal and talk to each other in an attempt to understand where this rancor is emanating from. You will both give a hundred percent effort, there will be no physical altercations of any kind, nor will either of you attempt to avoid the difficult topics."

"Jesus. Okay, how long we gotta talk for?"

"Well, since you shan't be slaying on those nights, shall we say until the time when your patrol would be over?"

Buffy's was incredulous:

"Giles, what could we possibly talk about until 3:00 or 4:00 a.m.?"

He had an answer ready for her:

"Considering the fact that the two of you simply can't shut up in the daytime, I assume you'll have plenty to discuss."

The Slayers sat in silence looking like they'd just received a life sentence.

"Buffy, Faith, surely you understand why I feel this necessary. You are both wonderful Slayers and even better human beings. This animosity between you is not only painful to watch, it makes absolutely no sense. You've both changed so much, these people you insist on fighting no longer exist. You would see that if you'd only give the other a chance. If you won't do it for yourselves, then please do it for me."

The delay stretched out to nearly a minute.

"Fine, Giles."

"I'm in, G-Man."

He smiled, a little properly applied guilt could be quite effective

"I was going to have Willow perform, for lack of a better term, a 'lie detector spell' on both of you, but if you'll each give me your word you'll adhere to the conditions I mentioned, I think we can dispense with that step."

Buffy nodded:

"I promise, Giles."

Faith spit on her hand and held it out:

"Me and B spit swore once, but she just blew it off. Mine's good as gold."

"You are such a liar! You're the one who couldn't keep our deal going."

He raised an eyebrow and cleared his throat:

"Girls, this is not exactly the start I was looking for."

"No worries, just takin' that freebie Red said we had coming."

***************

The thud was right on time, a surprise to both of them. Buffy opened her door and saw that Faith apparently had food from every restaurant in the area. She took the most precariously situated bags from her and headed for the dining room table.

"Wow, did you buy everybody out?"

Faith followed, kicking the door closed behind her.

"Yeah, well we never talked about what you wanted, so I figured I should get some of everything."

"That was thoughtful, thanks."

Faith dumped her load next to Buffy's.

"Got my moments. You get the drinks?"

"Yep, I stocked up as well, even though I'm hoping this doesn't last more than three or four meetings."

"With ya there. Guess just the one's too much to ask."

They walked into the kitchen, Faith heading directly to the refrigerator.

"'You 'Piss in a Canning' it?"

"I would like a Diet Coke, yes."

Faith unscrewed the top of a Sam Adams and took a long swig.

"Nice and cold. Thanks, B."

Buffy carried plates, silverware, and napkins to the table and both girls took a seat. They talked sparingly, focused mainly on the meal.

"This lo mein is really good."

"Yeah, lasagna's rockin' it too."

When they were done, they carried the leftovers into the kitchen. Faith got out some containers and handed them to Buffy, who packed like a pro. She began moving things around in the refrigerator, while Faith rinsed off their dishes. She stacked them neatly in the sink, wiped her hands dry, and then let her eyes roam until they stopped at the small kitchen table against the wall.

"B?"

"Uh-huh?"

"This cake in play or you saving it for somethin'?"

"What? No, I forgot! That's for us, I picked it up at Bettycakes this afternoon when I was downtown. Go sit and I'll bring it in."

"Cool. Meet ya there."

Buffy put the dishes in the dishwasher, then pulled out two new plates and forks. She cut Faith a generous slice – which meant half the cake when it came to Faith, and a large one for herself. She poured two glasses of milk, snatched a couple of paper towels off the roll, and put everything on her seldom used serving tray. She knew Faith was going to make fun of her, but it had been a gift from Willow and Buffy loved the pretty floral pattern.

"Let her laugh, it'll be the least of our worries tonight."

Faith was on the couch, her booted feet surprisingly on the floor. She was tapping either nervously or with anticipation on the armrest of the couch. Buffy sat the tray down on the coffee table in front of her and Faith sat up straight.

"Yes, the bigger piece is yours."

"Thanks, B. Which milk…"

"It's a theme, F. Take the Godzilla glass."

Faith grinned and picked up her plate and fork.

"You fucked up. Forks are the same size."

"I can't always be perfect, now can I?"

Faith had already shoveled in a huge bite, but Buffy could understand her comeback easily:

"Nope, hardly ever."

***************

"Jesus fucking Christ, did I say that?"

"Quit yelling at me! And yes, you did!"

Faith was up and pacing as she had been for the last fifteen minutes.

"No, I didn't! I said it was fucked up, not that you were!"

"When you consider I'm the one who did it, does it, then that's exactly what you're saying!"

"Yeah, maybe in Buffyspeak, but in real English, no. Fuck, you're annoying!"

Now Buffy was on her feet:

"Me?! You cannot be serious. I've sat here quietly for half an hour and let you act like a big jerk, which I know for you is standard operating procedure, but…"

"Right, like you haven't been eye rolling and sighing at every goddamn thing I say!"

"Oh my God, I so want to smash something!"

"Go ahead, stupid. We're at your place, bust up all your own shit!"

"Over your head!"

Instead the lamp hit the wall adjoining Faith's room.

"B, c'mon now."

"No, you come on! Nothing is working!"

Buffy prepared to hurl the serving tray, but Faith took it out of her hands.

"Don't wanna break this, B. It's pretty and you love it."

"Fine, then let's just beat each other up."

"No can do, we promised G-Man no violence."

"Whatever."

Buffy walked over and looked out the window. The wide expanse of grass that ended by bumping into the woods always brought her some measure of peace. Although its effect was minimal at the moment, she could feel her frustration and anger easing off when Faith's arms slid around her waist.

"I'm sorry, B. This whole forced talking sitch is my fault. I was being a baby and I screwed up. I get why the intervention freaked you out and I understand why you thought we had to be extra careful."

"I wasn't trying to play games, Faith. I just…"

"I know and I shouldn't have said that. I was just frustrated and took it out on you."

Buffy turned to face her:

"It's not like I was happy about it either, but when I saw them all together, I panicked. I thought for sure they'd found out about us, and all I could see was the Angel intervention and the way they acted when they found out about me and Spike. It feels like we just got over everything that happened with The First, and I don't think I could take it if they…"

Faith pulled her tight.

"Buffy, you don't have to explain, alright? I freaked too. I mean, here I am the newest reformed bad guy doing their Golden Girl. Doubt they're gonna start hangin' streamers at the news, and I like being liked. I don't wanna lose it if I don't gotta."

"Okay good, we're still on the same page then. So what are we going to talk about?"

Faith nuzzled into Buffy's neck:

"You think we should spend this time to talk? Not sure if we're even in the same book."

Buffy smiled and kissed the side of Faith's head.

"Well, I didn't say I'd rather talk, but I don't want us to make things worse."

Faith let her tongue trail along Buffy's neck before she responded.

"B, how can we possibly make it worse? We're fighting during your class and getting demoted to grading papers. We're all tied up in knots 'cause it's been three weeks, fuck, we're even making Andrew's tummy rumble!"

Buffy laughed, she loved when Faith was like this – easy, relaxed, fun. It was like everything else just dropped away from her and the real Faith came out to play.

"I suppose you've got a point and getting to spend time together with basically a no interruption guarantee…"

Faith kissed her hard and Buffy met her with equal passion. As so often happened, they each fought for control and just when Buffy thought she was winning, Faith lifted her into her arms.

"No chance, Slayer."

Before Buffy could respond Faith's lips were on hers again, cutting off any possible argument. She walked blindly into Buffy bedroom, placed her down on the bed like she was delicate cargo, then stepped back to remove her own clothing. In just seconds she stood naked before a drooling Buffy, grinning and not the slightest bit embarrassed.

"Like the view?"

"It's a great one, but I'd like it even better up close and personal."

Faith jumped and landed on all fours straddling Buffy.

"Close enough?"

"No. Not personal enough either."

"Not sure what I can do for ya, B."

Faith saw the warning in Buffy's eyes, but there was no way she could react in time. In a blur of motion, Buffy flipped Faith, then pinned her hands above her head, her lips hovering just out of reach.

"Don't you worry, F, I can take care of it all on my own."

***************

Buffy was awake, but Faith was still sawing logs. She was sprawled out on her stomach, facing away from Buffy with one arm and leg flung off the bed and the blankets down by her waist. Her hair trailed behind her on the pillow, then spilled over onto the mattress. It was still raining pretty steadily, although not the torrential downpour from earlier. Faith had laughed when the rain began:

"Here's hoping Kennedy's picking up our patrol."

Buffy ran her hand down Faith's hair, veering off to let her touch graze along the soft, smooth skin of Faith's back. She never even moved, her breathing slow and steady as Buffy's caress lingered at the small of her back. It was a sensitive spot for Faith, it drove her wild, and Buffy visited there whenever she could. Her breasts rubbing against it, her fingers trailing along lightly, her tongue tasting every inch, her breath tickling out promises of ecstasy to come…and yes Faith did, every single time Buffy wanted her to.

 Buffy turned her head to watch the water rolling down the windowpane in several different paths, each at its own speed. Some fast and direct, some just leisurely meandering, while others glided sensuously…

"All right, Buffy, five times isn't enough?"

She spoke softly not wanting to disturb her bed hogging partner, although after what Buffy had just done to her twenty minutes ago, it seemed unlikely that anything short of a pack of hellhounds traipsing through the bedroom would disturb her. That was fine with Buffy, in fact she considered it a point of pride. She'd always been a good lover: generous, inventive, adventurous, eager, and filled with Slayer strength and stamina. She loved that she could satisfy Faith, could basically knock her out with pleasure, and she very much enjoyed that Faith could turn the tables on her and provide the same service. There was no doubt that they were perfectly matched as lovers, and Buffy smiled remembering how it had first started. It had to be the biggest surprise of her life.

She was on vacation. Taking a sabbatical. Catching some down time. Off the clock and loving it. She wore a skimpy green and white bikini while relaxing on a reclining Adirondack chair beside a deep blue swimming pool. In her hand she held an ice cold glass of yellow lemonade that she sipped through a multi-colored straw, while above her the white clouds sailed with no destination in mind across the light blue sky. In front of her the tan sand and the gloriously vivid blue water of Miami Beach stretched out as far as the eye could see. It was paradise: the colorful surroundings, the warm sun on her skin, the back and forth of the waves and the cry of the seagulls as they floated on the breeze, the tangy flavors of the food and drink she consumed, the fragrance of tropical flowers everywhere she turned, and Buffy immersed herself in every bit of it.

It had been almost ten weeks and Buffy still hadn't gotten over the view. It was breathtakingly beautiful, the same day in and day out, yet shifting constantly. She loved when the storms appeared on the horizon, the dark thunderclouds turning a deep purple as the white bolts shot downward to the water in a distant and silent show. Eventually she would hear the rumbling approaching, faint but deep as she felt the wind picking up to push the storm along. She would watch closely, disappointed when the breeze would sometimes drift the clouds off to the side before they got anywhere near her. But at other times the rumbling began to close in, driving her inside to the living room where she would watch from the relative safety of the couch.

The house's electricity would flash on and off, the wind wildly blowing the palm trees this way and that, the day gone dark as if night had arrived. She could feel the power of the lightning, the windows rattling in their frames, the pictures shaking on the walls, the air heavy as the energy crackled all around her. The thunder sounded out loud, the blasts sometimes happening one after the other with little time in between. The metallic smell charging the air when the storm was right on top of her, no "One Mississippi" between the flash and the sizzle. Then it would pass, moving away, the ominous rumbling receding in the distance and threatening someone else with total destruction. For her the sun came out and the wind once again became a gentle, balmy breeze. It was glorious.

She heard the roar of a motorcycle on the street out front, but didn't pay much attention to it. Even though her across the street neighbors were elderly, maybe they had a son visiting who just couldn't let it go until he absolutely had to. She took a sip of her lemonade, put the sweating glass down on the table next to her and let out a sigh. She leaned her head back and closed her eyes, a nap sounded just right. She listened to the sound of the waves lapping at the shoreline before they rolled out again, lulling her into a…

A shadow suddenly fell across her and Buffy flipped off her chair, spinning in the air as she landed in a fighting stance.

"Whoa, stand down, Slayer! Just me."

"Faith, God, you almost gave me a heart attack!"

"Me too. Didn't figure on you being all badass."

Buffy sat back down, her heart rate slowly returning to normal

"What the hell are you doing here?"

Faith grinned as she looked out at the ocean:

"Damn, that's some view. Private beach?"

"Uh-huh, all fenced off on both ends. It makes it really nice."

Faith turned back to her:

"You're lookin' good."

"Thanks. Is this Giles checking up on me?"

Faith gestured at Buffy's lemonade and at Buffy's nod, she drank down the rest in one long sip.

"Could take about a gallon more of that. Gets hot on the bike with this sun beating down, then I couldn't find the place. It's wicked off the grid."

"Yeah, Will found me the perfect set-up. So?"

"So why am I here? On the job. G-Man got the skinny on some freaky demon diggin' up some freaky gem to end the world. Sent yours truly."

"And you need my help? Okay, let me…"

"Easy, you’re on vacation, just livin' like a person."

Buffy smiled:

"But I really don't mind helping out."

"Thanks for the offer, but I already killed the bastard in Atlanta."

"Wait, what?"

Faith lifted her hair off her neck and let the ocean breeze blow across her bare skin.

"Yeah, fucker lost his head in Hotlanta and I took care of the gem. Figured I'd stop in and say hi since you were so close."

"Um…ten hours is not close."

"Half hour closer than Cleveland. But hey, if I'm crampin' your style, I can get gone, no hard feelings."

Buffy shook her head:

"No, I wouldn't mind the company. You can fill me in on what's going on back home. But maybe you'd like to get out of those clothes first?"

Faith's eyebrows raised, her dimples deepened.

"Damn, never thought I'd hear those words from you, B."

"And you still haven't. There are some new suits in the hall closet that would probably be more comfortable than your jeans."

"Be right back, Blondie. Lemonade for all."

Faith returned a few minutes later, wearing a yellow bikini and carrying two full glasses of lemonade. She handed one to Buffy, then sat down in the empty chair. She took a huge swallow, then leaned back with a loud and contented sigh.

"Girl could get used to this."

"I can't believe Giles is letting you have time off. How much did he give you?"

"None. There's no way he'd ever sign off on this."

"So then how are you…"

"G-Man thinks I'm still looking for the guy."

"What?!"

Faith laughed and ran her glass along her forehead:

"B, ya just said he'd never gimme time off, so I figured – what he doesn't know, works perfect."

"But doesn't he think it's weird the demon just happens to be in Miami Beach?"

Faith shrugged and drained her glass dry.

"Probably would if he knew I wasn't in the backwoods of Georgia."

Buffy couldn't help but laugh. The grin on Faith's face made her look like a little kid who had her hand in the cookie jar, but hadn't been caught yet.

"Faith, you have to tell him. I mean, he's worried about the end of the world and he might send somebody else who could get ..."

"No chance. Gem was the key to the apocalypse, and now that it's gone, so's the threat. Giles is up to speed, 'cept he thinks I'm still tracking a badass demon. Figure I can drag it out a week, maybe two."

"Wow, this kind of thing makes me look like the Scaredy Cat Slayer."

"Just claim it, B. You'll be happier. C'mon, last one in's a melted puddle."

They spent the afternoon poolside, then made dinner together: steaks, fries, salad, and bread. They ate like they'd been at the beach all day and while they chowed down, Faith caught Buffy up on what she'd missed.

"Few weeks ago, I got this new group. I'm tryin' to explain some basics we're gonna work on and nobody's listening to a word. It's like I'm some loser who crashed the cool girls' slumber party. I finally got fed up and asked if they thought they could take me. This dipshit, Brenda, pipes right up: 'I think I can more than hold my own, Ms. Lehane."

"No she did not!"

"Yeah, she did too. So I told her to take her ass over to the Murder Mats."

Buffy's laughter rang out:

"You did not!"

"Hell yeah, I did. She finally clued in and got scared, but I beat the crap outta her anyways. Can bet your ass I haven't had any shit from any of'em since."

"And Brenda?"

"Busted her nose and gave her some sore ribs, but she was fine by morning. Funny thing is, she's turning out to be a good Slayer."

After dinner, they opened a bottle of wine and sat on the couch with the lights off, talking like old friends as they watched the moon rising above the ocean. Faith's feet were resting comfortably on the coffee table while Buffy sat leaning against the couch's arm rest, her legs stretched out just short of touching Faith's thigh.

"Damn, B, that's an amazing view. Moon's really lighting it up."

"There is something to be said for a big wall of window."

Faith topped off both their glasses, then carefully sat the empty bottle on the end table.

"Sure looks like life agrees with you here."

"I think life here would agree with almost anyone, but it's definitely just what I needed. I'm actually rested for the first time in forever and I'm ready to get back to slaying."

"That's great, B. Everybody's gonna be real happy you're home. They missed ya like crazy."

They were quiet then and as Buffy sipped her wine, she sat staring at Faith. She was so beautiful in the silvery moonlight, her face relaxed as she enjoyed the view, the wine, and the company. She had always made such an enticing package, but now sane, mature, and all grown up, Faith Lehane was altogether irresistible.

"How about you?"

"How 'bout me what, B?"

"Did you miss me?"

"Sure, place ain't the same without the Golden Girl roamin' the halls."

Buffy polished off her glass of wine, then sat it on the coffee table before she slid over right next to Faith. She leaned in and placed a barely there kiss on Faith's jaw.

"B?"

"I'm asking if you missed me, Faith."

"Um…Yeah, I did."

Buffy rewarded that answer with another kiss.

"I know this is weird, but is it too weird?"

Her breath tickled along Faith's neck, making her shiver.

"No, it's not too weird. It's just I'm not sure exactly what you're doing."

"Hmm…maybe I can clear that up for you."

A series of kisses laced a path of fire from Faith's ear down to her shoulder.

"Is that helpful?"

"Yeah, makes the meaning wicked clear, but I...mmm…Buffy…"

"You're so beautiful, Faith."

Buffy swung her leg over, straddling Faith and draping her arms around her shoulders.

"Is this okay?"

"It's more than okay, but…"

Buffy leaned back a little and looked into her eyes.

"Too fast?"

Faith laughed at that.

"Too fast? B, this has been coming since I borrowed your stake in the alley."

"Okay, good, yet you're hesitating."

"Yeah, just worried you might be drunk and I can't do this if you are."

"I'm a little tipsy, hence with the lap sitting, but I'm not drunk. I know exactly what I'm doing."

"And you know exactly who I am?"

Buffy kissed the other side of her neck before she answered:

"You're Faith, the 'Get Some, Get Gone' girl. And this is a vacation fling, this…this whatever it is. I guess I'm just tired of ignoring it, pretending it's not always wherever we are. Let's just let it have its way for once, no relationship required."

Faith's hands glided up Buffy's back, slipping underneath the silk Buffy disguised as hair.

"Fuck, maybe I'm the one who's drunk or passed out here."

"No, we're both mostly sober adults, all alone in a crazy romantic setting…and I really want to know what you feel like."

Faith hands entwined in Buffy's hair as she pulled her in roughly, yet the kiss itself was soft and gentle. It lasted a long time until Buffy eased back, tracing the line in Faith's bottom lip with her tongue as she went. Faith shivered, her hands moving down to Buffy's ass.

"You know what I like, F?"

"Plannin' to find out."

"I like when you smile."

Of course that made Faith smile and Buffy gave her a kiss after every word.

"You…have…never…smiled…enough."

"Never had you sitting on top of me before either."

Buffy grabbed Faith's shoulders, twisting and then pushing her down onto the couch, all the while continuing to sit astride her. There was a wicked smile on Buffy's face that Faith had never seen before and it made heart speed up.

"Let's see what else I can make you do."

It was a long night, one that led into the following day and night for the next two weeks. A perfect vacation affair full of fun, sun, and surf that meant the same thing to both of them: the chance to finally act on the sexual tension that had been between them for years and a way to lay their history down and leave it behind them forever.

"Definitely gonna lay somethin', B."

Buffy didn't want a serious relationship, she wasn't ready, and Faith didn't know how to have one and she didn't want to learn. What they wanted was something light, something free and easy, and while neither had ever imagined they could get something like that from each other, it turned out they could and it was a breeze.

They lazed away on the beach or at the pool, played poker, took walks on the beach, at night easily leaping tall fences to extend the distance when they didn't feel like turning back.  They hit South Beach one night: the neon lights blazing, the clubs lively, the music blasting, and the streets packed with cars and pedestrians whose voices called out with the excitement that was practically vibrating through the air.

The Slayers danced and drank, taking in the sights until they'd had their fill of the noisy crowd. They headed home on Faith's motorcycle, Buffy wrapped around her from behind and tormenting her every inch of the way. They barely made it in the front door before Faith slammed her against the wall and took her where she stood, then took her again on the tiled floor where they'd both ended up.

The food was good, the sun was hot, and the sex was even hotter. They did it everywhere in every way they could think of, some days never even bothering to get dressed:

"Faith, don't. I want to look at you all day."

"Yeah, B, 'cause our bikinis hide so much."

"It's not the quantity, F, it's the quality."

The two weeks went by way too fast and both girls were sorry to see it end.

"Had to tell Giles I finally caught up."

Faith was leaning back against the headboard with Buffy snuggled in, her head on Faith's breast and her arm wrapped around Faith's waist as they looked out at the ocean. The smell of saltwater blew in from the open sliding glass doors, the breeze cooling the sweat from their bodies as they caught their breath.

"Where did it happen?"

"Panhandle."

Buffy laughed and shook her head:

"I still can't believe he never sent someone to help you or even just asked me to."

"Nah, Golden Girl's earned her down time, and I made it clear this bitch is mine."

Buffy's hand began gliding slowly over Faith's stomach, circling ever lower:

"Yes, I am, but I do like to think it's tit for…"

Faith's fingers unerringly found what she needed to make her point:

"It's tit for tit, baby, no doubt about it."

Buffy laughed, her hand still moving and beginning to make Faith squirm.

"So you're leaving tomorrow."

"Yeah, figuring on sunrise."

"Well, since we're running out of time, let's make it count."

In the morning they had to have a recount, just to be sure, and by the time Faith had her bag tied to her bike, sunrise had long since turned into high noon.

"Had a blast, B."

"Me too."

"So when you coming back?"

Buffy shrugged:

"I'll let you get home first, then I'll turn up in a few days."

"Gonna be tough to leave?"

"No, I think I used this place up. It's time."

Faith smiled:

"Fuck, what're the odds?"

"Pretty odd, I find, but what are we talking about?"

"Not only am I gonna see my vacation girl again, she's gonna live with me too."

Buffy laughed, but she wanted to make sure.

"We won't have a problem will we, Faith?"

"Finally got it out of our system, laid some demons to rest. It's all good, B."

"Hey, don't forget we laid some Slayers too."

They kissed and as they parted, Faith stroked Buffy's cheek:

"Thanks, B."

"And thank you for dropping in."

"My pleasure."

 "Promise you'll be careful, it's a long drive."

"Slayer's honor, Blondie. See ya soon!"

She roared off and Buffy watched until she was out of sight.

"Okay…Checking off sex with Faith from Buffy's bucket list. Wow."

It had been the perfect ending to the perfect vacation and Buffy felt like a new woman. She stayed for three more days and was joyously greeted upon her homecoming. She really had been missed, that much was clear as she sat on Giles' office couch with Giles, Willow, Xander, and Dawn gathered around.

"Buff, when you get straightened out, there's this new clothing store I found downtown that you're going to love."

"Buffster, I've got some chick flick DVDs just burning a hole in…uh…someone's DVR…Anyway, we've been dying to watch them, but we wanted to wait for you. Maybe a slumber party at your place this Saturday?"

"Buffy, Eric wants to take me…Eric…Eric…Werewolf Boy! He wants to take me backpacking around Transylvania, but if you help me buy a new car, I won't go."

"Buffy, please let me know when you feel ready to return to work. There's no hurry of course, just preparing next month's schedule."

She sat there smiling so big it hurt her face. She was home and all was right with the world.

"So what's got this place hoppin'?"

Faith sauntered in, an old axe in her hands.

"Whoa, look everybody, it's The Slayer."

"Hello, Faith."

"B. Nice you could drop in."

Buffy got the reference right away and Faith smirked at her.

"G-Man, this is what the guy left behind last night. Looks old, figured you'd want a look-see."

He was already examining it, serious face included.

"Yes, indeed, I most certainly do. This appears almost ancient. Willow, could you perhaps…"

"I'm on it."

"Excellent work, Faith. Are you sure you weren't hurt?"

"Nothin' that won't heal. Am beat though, so gonna leave you geeks to it. Let me know if you turn up an address, I wouldn't mind making a special delivery."

She headed for the door and gave Buffy a real smile:

"Glad you're back, Vacation Girl."

***************

Buffy looked at the woman next to her who still hadn't moved a muscle. The only change was that Faith was now snoring softly. The rain had picked up again and Buffy saw the flash of lightning outside her window. It was nothing like a Florida storm, but then any storm in a port. Or something like that.

She turned on her side to face Faith, her hand stroking the thick dark hair as the thunder rumbled in the distance.

"You are so beautiful, Faith."

And then Buffy was asleep, not a care in the world.

***************

Buffy was sitting on the couch in Giles' office, her exhaustion obvious as she slumped back, sinking into the cushions with her eyes closed. She'd delivered her report in a weary voice laced with the occasional yawn; even a Slayer became fatigued when they went nearly three days without any solid sleep.

"I think that's everything. It's going to take me and another Slayer to get it done, even though I'd like to take about fifty of us."

He took off his glasses, lightly chewing on one of the arms as he thought out loud:

"We've more than enough girls here for you to easily assemble a team that size."

"It wouldn't work, our best chance is quick and quiet. We should be in and out before they even know we were there."

He held his glasses up to the light and clearly satisfied with the view, he placed them back where they belonged.

"Perhaps Vi or Rona then?"

Buffy yawned as she shook her head:

"No, I need Faith."

"Damn, been waitin' a lifetime to hear that. Giles, mind clearing out to give us some privacy?"

She walked in grinning as Buffy stood and stretched, yawning again.

"You wish, F. Giles will catch you up, I need some sleep of the serious kind. See you at sunset."

She left and Faith took her place on the couch, sprawling out with a cocky smirk on her face and her boots on the coffee table.

"So, you guys need the best for something?"

"Yes, Buffy has requested you as her partner tonight."

"Damn, never imagined B'd swing that way."

He smiled at her, she really was incorrigible.

"As delightful as your sexual innuendoes about Buffy always are, I take it your bi-weekly meetings have been somewhat helpful?"

"Wait, you sayin' B's bi?"

"Faith…"

"Yeah, we're doing okay. Helps to have dinner first, kinda loosens us up a little."

"Well I must tell you I'm very impressed with the effort you girls have put forth. Your bickering has lessened a great deal and I'm seriously optimistic that with enough time, you two might actually even learn to appreciate one another. "

"Stranger things, for sure."

He picked up the folder on his lap and began sifting through its pages:

"Now if you'll please take your boots off the table, we can begin your briefing."

"No briefs or boxers, I like goin' free."

He turned red, still such an easy target after all this time, and Faith reached for the candy dish that sat in the middle of the coffee table.

"Fuck! Giles, this is the second month in a row without any chocolate ones. Why you gotta keep buyin' grandpa candy?"

"Pardon me, Werther's Originals are not grandpa candy. They are classic, timeless, and…original. I notice you've not let your distaste prevent you from eating three at once."

She tossed the empty gold wrappers back in the dish and returned her boots to the very edge of the table.

"Yeah, well dis taste sucks, so I thought maybe more would make it better. No such luck, they're shit no matter how many I cram in. Next time get some more of those bite-size Snickers. Those things got it goin' on!"

Giles couldn't help but smile even as he scolded her:

"And they lasted all of twenty minutes as you found excuse after excuse to be in my office. Now please remove your boots from the table whilst I fill you in on tonight's…Blast it, I've the wrong file."

He walked over to his desk to retrieve the proper folder and when he turned his back, Faith quickly stretched her legs out on the table.

"Ya know what would take this taste outta my mouth?"

He spun around, a folder in one hand and a bottle of root beer from the mini-fridge in the other. He walked over and looked pointedly at her until her boots hit the floor. She leaned forward to take the bottle, snagging several more candies before she sat back.

"Thanks, Giles. Okay, I'm all set. Brief away and don't skimp on the parts where B wants me bad."

***************

Time flies when you're having fun and before the Slayers knew it, they had thirteen meetings under their belt. Two fantastic nights a week when they didn't have to sneak in and out of each other's rooms or make excuses for not being where they were expected to be. It had been like Heaven, a sexual heaven, and it had really taken the edge off. They had to remember to keep up appearances and argue at least a few times a week, they didn't want Giles to let them off the hook any time soon.

Meeting #14 found them where they often were: in Buffy's bed, the blanket on the floor and the sheet trying its best to get there too. Buffy was on her back, her head resting on a pillow as her breathing finally slowed to normal. Faith was on her side next to Buffy, her head propped up on one hand while the other stroked up and down Buffy's body.

"B?"

"Hmm?"

"I want you."

"So soon? I just…"

Faith sat up, her eyes intense.

"Not like that, although I do."

"Okay, crazy talking lady, maybe you're dehydrated. Or maybe I am?"

"I'm serious, B. I want a real shot at you."

"Faith…"

"Just hear me out, okay?"

Buffy nodded.

"So we had our vacation thing, which was great, just what we wanted. You were still mourning Spike and I was still getting used to being out of jail and around you guys again.  But that was a while ago…"

"Almost ten months."

"…and I wanna go for it now."

"Go for what exactly?"

"A relationship."

"Faith, we already have a relationship."

Faith rolled her eyes:

"Buffy, we're fuck buddies who scratch that after slay itch. Don't act like it's your best case, 'cause it's not even mine. I think we could have something here, something real, and I'm telling you I wanna try for it."

"You're making it sound simple, but there are all kinds of things to consider."

"Okay, so let's consider them. We'll take'em one by one, flip over all the rocks so nobody gets blindsided."

It was quickly turning into a conversation that required sitting, so Buffy scooted up the bed and leaned back against the headboard.

"Are you serious about this?"

"Dead serious. Look, back then we weren't ready for anything else. A fling was just right and it was perfect. Couple months later, shit changes and we decide to help each other out with the after slaying hornies sometimes, which again with the perfect. But things keep changing, B, we keep changing."

"I agree that we're different people now, again, but we're still complicated, Faith."

"Maybe, but I think we can make it work. We're good together, and not just the sex. It's like we balance each other out somehow, like we just fit. Whenever we're together I'm starting to feel like I'm right where I belong, like I'm where I'm supposed to be. Don't you feel it too, B?"

"…Yes, sometimes I do."

"Well, I wanna see what it means."

"Faith, do you have any idea how difficult it can be to have a relationship?"

"Not really and I admit it's probably gonna be mostly me who fucks up. But if you can be a little patient, I think I can do it. I'm used to having responsibilities now, I got people who care about me and that vice is plenty versa. I'm not scared anymore of getting tied down, I already am and I like it. I want you, Buffy."

"Faith, how would this even work?"

"I don't know, I don't have all the answers. I know it's not some fairytale where the shit we wish for just comes true, but I'm willing to work for it."

Buffy rubbed her hand across her eyes and blew out a big breath.

"I didn't know you felt this way and I'm not even sure…and I think I'm kind of scared."

"B, if you don't wanna try, I'm not gonna lose it. I'm gonna be sad and it's gonna hurt, but I'm not gonna start shit or disrespect you. You got a right to play this out however you wanna, but I just need you to understand what I want, what I think would be the best thing ever. Please don't say no, not unless that's how you really feel."

Buffy sat looking at her, impressed in so many ways:

"You know, maturity really looks good on you."

"Yeah? Oughta see me in leather."

Buffy shoved at Faith's thigh with her foot:

"I already have, F."

"How 'bout my birthday suit, B, 'cause I fuckin' rock that thing."

"Looking at you now, I would have to say I agree."

Faith took Buffy's hand in her own.

"Here's how I see it: Giles is making us hook up, right? So that's time together, free and clear with nobody the wiser. Means we can still keep it a secret, but behind the scenes we can try it out, see what it's like."

Buffy was quiet as she thought it over, her fingers playing with Faith's.

"I admit it does make a lot of sense. We could just try it out with no outside pressure, a test run."

"Exactly, and if we do right, it just might work."

"You do know we're going to have to talk, right? We need to get to know each other in a different way."

"Figured that, B. I'm up for it."

Buffy looked her in the eye and pulled her hand free. She smiled, excited and happy, then spit in her hand.

"Deal."

"Really, B?"

"Yep."

Faith looked at her:

"Did you fake spit or real spit?"

"Shake on it and find out, F."

Faith grabbed her hand and pulled her close, kissing her passionately and grinning like a fool.

***************

The flowers were sort of crushed with a few petals missing.

"Had to stuff'em up my back when Red and Kennedy came up the stairs."

Buffy kissed her:

"They're still beautiful."

Dating was going well for them, once they got the glitches ironed out. Even though they had to keep it under wraps, they still managed to do quite a few things. They always went downtown on their dates, making sure to frequent the places that were off the beaten path. Cleveland had a rich and varied nightlife and they never had any problem finding something to do. They loved taking long walks along Lake Erie, only rarely having to slay a stupid vampire who assumed they were just two regular Ohio gals out for a late night stroll.

Staying in was good too. They loved watching movies and TV together all snuggled up on the couch or in bed. They cooked meals, ordered in, listened to music, and talked. Buffy had been positive that talking was going to be their downfall, but Faith hadn't been lying when she'd said she was ready to do her fair share. It didn't always go smoothly, sometimes one or both of them was not at all happy with the topic, but they continued on, determined to get to know each other.

Faith did not like talking about her childhood and Buffy tried hard not to push her to open up. When she did reveal things, it was never a good story even though Faith would start off claiming it was a happy memory. But the things she told Buffy never ended good and they were so far removed from a happy memory, Buffy was confused.

"You only had a Christmas tree once?"

"Yeah, it was a blast even though it didn't last long. My dad got drunk one night and he started fighting with Ma. He tossed it outside after he smacked her around a little, then drove over it as he took off for someplace else. But I can still remember how much I loved to lay on the floor underneath it and just look up at the lights."

Faith spoke freely about her time in Sunnydale and how Angel had basically saved her life in Los Angeles.

"Who'd ever think a vamp I hated would save my sorry ass? I can see why you loved him so much, B, he was a good man. When I did that mind walk thing, I learned so much about him. Here he was all fucked, Angelus beatin' the shit outta him and he takes the time to help me. I always think about how I gotta keep trying to do good, no matter what, for me and for him."

And that topic sort of led into the topic Buffy wasn't so keen to talk about: her relationships with Angel and Spike. Her love for Angel had nearly destroyed the world and her relationship with Spike had started off on such a horrible note.

"I did end up loving him, but never like he wanted me too. I knew he loved me, of course, but when he got his soul for me, that's when I finally understood how deep it went for him. And it broke my heart because I knew I'd never feel the same way about him."

"With Angel, it seemed so much like we were meant for each other, but looking back now I realize he was just my first love, with all the good and bad that involves. It's crazy, isn't it, how when you're young you think you know everything and it turns out you didn't know anything at all. You sure couldn't have convinced me of that at the time. I do know I loved him and always will, but it seems like it all happened to a different Buffy a long time ago."

The talking usually went well now, although either of them could still get upset and stay that way for a couple of days. Faith, in particular, didn't respond well to being pressured, and although Buffy now knew it wasn't an effective strategy, she had had to learn that through some intense trial and error.

"Are you fucking deaf? I said I was done with this!"

"But you said you were open to talking and we need…"

"Talking yeah, you climbing up my ass, no."

"I'm not climbing up your ass, Faith, I'm asking questions because you…"

"Know what? Fuck this and fuck you. I'm outta here."

"Fine, run away like a coward."

Faith lost it:

"A coward? You're calling me a coward? Aren't you the one who's scared shitless to tell your family and friends you're interested in me? Straighten me out, Buffy, because what I see is two grownups who like fucking each other, but gotta pretend it's otherwise because you're a gutless bitch and I'm letting you run roughshod over me."

"Oh what, Faith? You're suddenly not worried anymore that you're not going to be liked? It's just on me, all my fault? Right, sure it is. You go ahead and keep lying to yourself and while you're at it, keeping right on going to hell!"

They didn't speak for a week after that except to argue each and every time they saw one another. The Scoobies ended up leaving the room whenever both Slayers shared the same airspace, and it was Xander who was the last one to get the memo.

"Cyclops, tell Her Highness that I'll slay any fucking way I wanna."

"Uh…Buffy's right there, Faith, so maybe…"

"Oh really? Well tell Ms. Tough Guy she's an idiot."

"Buffster…Hey, maybe you guys should speak directly to each…"

"I know you're the big shit expert on all things slaying…Tell her, Xander!"

"Um…Buffy? Faith thinks you're a great Slayer."

"Tell Faith she can go fu…"

"Okay guys, great talk. Gotta run!"

They made up two days later when Faith found Buffy in her bed after a late patrol.

"I'm sorry, Faith. I shouldn't have pushed. I'll try to stop doing that when it comes to your childhood."

"That mean you're still gonna push on other stuff?"

"I'm afraid so, but look – I'm naked."

Faith laughed:

"Yeah, crazy how much shit that makes right."

After satisfying each other a few times, Buffy was in Faith's arms as they basked in the happiness that they were back together.

"I'm sorry too, B. I shouldn't talk to you like that, not for any reason, and I'll try to stop doing that too."

"Okay! Argument settled, sex still mind-blowingly incredible, your arms still totally one of my favorite spots to be in, and all is right with the world."

"That works for me."

"Want to talk about it, F?"

***************

The street wasn't that busy, but they still didn't see them until it was too late:

 "Buffy, Faith! What are you guys doing here?"

Faith instantly spoke up:

"Hiya, Red and Lame Wannabe."

"Shut up, Faith."

Faith stepped closer:

"Wanna try making me, Silver Spoon?"

Willow slid between them:

"Kennedy, come on, let's not fight."

"Tell her that, Will."

Buffy put a hand on Faith's shoulder and pulled her back.

"How about both of you stop it?"

"Sure, B. I forgot poor Kennedy can't handle anything without somebody else backing her play."

"Fuck you, Faith! You're the one who…"

Buffy stepped between them:

"Okay, that's it. Will, you and your hothead…"

Kennedy was furious:

"Who are you calling a hothead, Buffy? Faith started it and I'm just…"

"If you'd let me finish, I'm calling both of you hotheads, as well as ridiculous. Lunch tomorrow, Will?"

"Yep, you can catch me up on everything then. Bye, Faith. Come on, honey. Let's go home and take a bath."

"I'm not worked up, Will. She just makes me…"

"I know, Ken, but a bath will be soothing and I bought the new bubbles that…."

Their voices faded as Buffy and Faith took off in the opposite direction. They turned the corner and finding the area deserted, they sprinted at Slayer speed until they saw a dark alley off to the side. They ducked down it and Buffy pulled Faith further along into the darkness before slamming her against a brick wall, pressing her body against Faith's.

"Okay, that was quick thinking, F."

"Yeah, all the pistons were firing."

Buffy kissed her hard, her hand finding its way under Faith's shirt, her fingers lightly swirling around the soft skin of Faith's stomach. Her foot kicked Faith's legs wider, and she slipped her thigh in between, making her captive moan.

"We forgot to have a cover story ready."

Buffy began nibbling along Faith's neck, her hand and knee beginning to move.

"Yeah, my girl's gettin' sloppy…B…"

"You are just so good at the distraction thing."

"You…You too."

"Did I ever thank you for messing up their intervention so brilliantly?"

"N…No."

Buffy's lips were at Faith's ear:

"Don't you wish I would?"

"…"

"F?"

"…Huh? I mean…me?"

Buffy laughed, low and sexy:

"I know it was a long time ago, but it's still rude that I never expressed my gratitude. Hmm…I wonder how can I show you how much I appreciated it?"

She didn't give Faith any time to answer, instead kissing her hard and hot, Slayer to Slayer, and Faith's hands went to Buffy's head to keep her where she was. Buffy's hand trailed around to the small of Faith's back, caressing up and down, back and forth, and her leg pushed forcefully, lifting Faith a couple of inches off the ground with every thrust. Faith began moving, riding Buffy's leg and clinging to her everywhere she could. Her yell was muffled by Buffy's mouth devouring hers, and it took a minute before Buffy relented and set Faith's mouth free.

"Fuck, B…"

"I just did, F."

"Yeah, in a dark alley in a strange place."

"At least I knew my partner."

Faith grinned:

"Yeah, guess that's a real plus. And it's so dark, nobody can see us back here."

"See? Turned on Buffy thinks of everything."

Faith kissed her:

"'Cept that there coulda been a vamp down here."

"I was hoping, but no such luck."

"So wanna skip dinner and go back to yours?"

Buffy pretended to think it over:

"Can we order pizza later?"

"And subs."

"Can I get one I don't really like and eat yours instead?"

"Wouldn't be right if ya didn't."

Buffy wrapped Faith's hair around her finger:

"And we'll talk too?"

"Won't be able to shut my mouth."

"Wow, just how good was that orgasm?"

Faith's laughter rang out:

"What can I tell ya, B? You got the touch."

They started walking, Faith's motorcycle not too far away, and Buffy began singing:

"You got the touch…you got the touch…sho nuff do be cookin' in my book…"

"What the hell are you…"

"You know, that Prince song, the one with…uh…Juice Newton."

"Look."

"Where?"

"No, B. It's 'U Got the Look'."

"Are you sure?"

Buffy looked so confused and so adorable, Faith wished they hadn't left the alley.

"Positive. And it's not Juice Newton, it's Sheena Easton."

"Oh. Well, I still like the song."

Faith stopped walking and Buffy didn't realize until she heard the voice a few steps behind her:

"I love you, Buffy."

She turned around, her eyes searching for Faith's:

"What?"

"Wasn't planning to say it now. Figured on being in a romantic setting, but what can ya do?"

"You love me?"

"Yeah, all of you, all the time. I wanna have sex with you, hold you, talk to you, listen to you mangle songs, watch you eat, watch you sleep, hold you when you need me to and even when you don't. I wanna make you laugh when you've had a bad day, I wanna fight by your side, I wanna make you feel good, I wanna be here for you in any way you need me to be. I could go on and on, but I think you get it."

People were walking all around them, some annoyed that the two girls were just standing motionless in the middle of the sidewalk, others oblivious as they veered around them. Buffy still hadn't said a word, but she was moving, walking back to Faith with tears in her eyes.

"I guess this changes things, Faith."

"Doesn't have to. I mean, I want you to love me back, but I can wai…"

Buffy's finger on her lips stopped her in mid-word.

"It does have to change things because there is absolutely no way I'm not telling everyone that we're in love."

Faith had been so prepared for something else, she almost missed what Buffy actually said.

"B?"

"I love you too, Faith.  And just so you know? You already do all of those things and you do them so much better than anyone else ever has. I have never felt more loved, more wanted, so light and happy. I'm not scared anymore, Faith. I'm in love and it's the best thing that's ever happened to me."

Buffy kissed her, right in the middle of downtown Cleveland, right in front of hundreds of people, right where anyone who was looking could see them. When it ended they stayed in each other's arms, both smiling like they'd never stop. Buffy's finger traced along one of Faith's dimples:

"You have never smiled enough, but I'm going to make sure that changes over the next fifty years."

"Better make it a hundred, B. I plan on taking my time with you."

They linked hands and walked quickly to Faith's motorcycle. They wanted to get home.

***************

The light coming in through the windows in Giles' office was bright and sunny, and as far as Buffy was concerned, it was setting the scene just right. Everyone was there, including Andrew even though he hadn't been invited. Willow, Dawn, and Xander were seated on the couch and in a wingback chair that had been dragged over, Giles sat with a book in his lap. Buffy had claimed one of the two chairs facing the couch and the other was still awaiting Faith's arrival when Andrew walked in.

Once he knew there was a meeting going on, there was no getting rid of him:

"Come on, Buffy, I'm part of the Scooby Gang, right?"

She couldn't bear to hurt his feelings, so she lied:

"Of course you are, Andrew. I just thought you were too busy planning dinner."

He squeezed in happily between Xander and Dawn, smushing everyone together uncomfortably.

"No, brave Slayer. I am as always, ever at your service."

Buffy knew Faith wouldn't mind. She had an inexplicable soft spot for him, despite the fact that he annoyed her like no one else. She was also amused that out of everyone, it was Andrew who had always seemed to sense something between them:

 "That fuckin' Andy. Guy knows and doesn't even know, ya know?"

"So Buffster, how much longer? I've still got some repairs in the dorms that I need to get to."

"Yeah, Buffy, Eric is coming over soon to study…Eric…Eric…Werewolf boy!"

Willow spoke up:

"Guys, come on. Buffy wants to talk to us, so let's try to be a little more patient. I'm sure Faith will be here…"

"Right now! Sorry I'm late, you guys. Little sitch on the course."

Giles closed his book:

"Is everything all right?"

"Yeah, nothing I couldn't handle, but it took a few."

She had to stop herself from kissing Buffy before taking her seat next to her, and she desperately wanted to hold her hand because Buffy was so tense, Faith was sure she could bounce a quarter off of her. When Buffy just kept sitting there motionless, Faith nudged her shoulder.

"You're up, B."

"What? Oh, right, yes, we're all here now, okay. Um…I've got some really big news to share and I'm really hoping you guys are going to be as happy as I am about it."

The room was silent with anticipation and Buffy swore she heard herself swallow.

This must be what stage fright is like. I'm going to screw this up and Faith's going to be mad and think I don't love her enough to tell them.

She decided to look at Faith and when she did, she turned right into the full force of Faith's smile. Buffy felt her fear evaporate just like that and she reached over and linked their hands as she got to her feet, pulling Faith up with her.

"Faith and I are in love."

The silence continued, everyone in various states of surprise or shock or something. No one said anything for several seconds, and then all was bedlam.

"Buffy, I'm so excited! How did this happen?"

Willow shot up like a cork as she fought her way free from the jam packed couch. She slammed into Buffy with a ferocious hug, then treated Faith to the same.

"This is the best news ever! We can go on gay double dates now and…Faith, are you growling?"

Xander slung an arm around each of their shoulders and pulled them in close:

"Buffster, look at you! And Faith, look at you too! Let's look at both of you, you hot, sexy, gay Slayers!"

Dawn hugged Buffy first and kissed her on the cheek, then went right to Faith. She gave her the same affectionate congratulations before quickly moving on:

"Welcome to the family, Sis. Hey, have you ever co-signed for a car loan before?"

Giles gave them a somewhat awkward wave from his chair, but the smile on his face made it clear he was happy for them.

"This is wonderful news! Truly splendid and I assume we can expect a bit less animosity between you girls now? I must say, that shall be a relief."

Andrew was the only one who was quiet, his expression one of total confusion:

"I don't understand. Didn't we already know Buffy and Faith were together?"

Everyone had a million questions about how the Slayers had not only managed to find common ground, but love as well. Willow suggested they have a party to celebrate "the most shocking, yet natural, because duh, past sparkage, and yet still totally surprising romance in the history of the human race" party.

"Is that the official title, Will because it seems a little long to me."

"It's a spontaneous title, Xander. We'll just use an acronym."

Dawn was busy writing it out:

"TMSYNBDPSAYSTSRITHOTHR. Totally banner ready."

Andrew came up with what he considered an idea worthy of this "historic occasion".

"I give you……The Chosen Two cake! One layer white, representing Buffy Summers, the Slayer who stands in the light, and one layer black, representing Faith Lehane, the Dark Slayer whose tortured path led her to seek redemption…"

"Andrew!"

He scooted out of the room as Faith got to her feet, his voice still telling the tale as he ran down the hallway to safety:

"…a redemption found only in the arms of The Chosen One: Buffy, the Vampyre Slayer."

She let Buffy pull her back down.

"You know how he is, F. He just has to weave a story about everything."

"He's a little freak."

"But he's our little freak."

"You keep him, B. If I gotta, I'll waste him."

They all sat around laughing and talking, still marveling that Buffy and Faith had fallen in love. They didn't give out the full story – parts of it seemed like just theirs and besides, Giles was so proud that his forced bi-weekly meetings were the sole cause of them getting together, well, there was no way they were going to take that away from him.

"Yes, well sometimes I get one right."

Eventually everyone drifted away until all that remained were the Slayers and Giles, and that didn't last too long.

"Gotta motor. Taking some on-the-fencers out, see how they handle it."

"Do you want me to come?"

Faith's grin told Buffy the proper answer to that question, and Buffy turned red even though Giles probably didn't get it at all, thank God.

"Nah, got Rona and Vi on the escort. I'll cut out early, so wait up, yeah?"

"I will."

They kissed and Faith gave Giles a nod:

"Later G-Man."

"Be careful, Faith."

"Middle name, Watcher."

And then she was gone, leaving behind just the two of them.

"Well, Buffy, I must say you look enormously happy."

She smiled at him:

"Giles, you have no idea. She's so perfect, and I've never been so happy or so sure of anything in my life."

He sat back, cleaning his glasses.

"It does make one ponder the question of soul mates or at the very least destiny, doesn't it?"

"You mean like: were we always supposed to be together?"

"Yes, there does seem to have been something powerful between you nearly from the moment you met. Given everything the two of you have gone through, it seems impossible that today you stand here together and in love…Ah, never mind, just the fanciful thoughts of an old man."

Buffy laughed and took a candy from the dish:

"I guess Faith and I are old men too then. Hey, the…"

She looked at the wrapper:

"…Werther's Originals are back. These are so much better than those bite-sized Snickers.  Those never last, but you can suck on these and they're delicious too."

"My thoughts precisely."

"And with that Slayer/Watcher candy synchronization, I should probably go. I can get a little work done before Faith gets back."

"Okay, I probably should go. I can do a little work before Faith gets back."

He looked at her as he had a million times before when he knew she was lying:

"Please Buffy, we both know there is nothing but a bubble bath in your very near future."

She stood, stuffing a handful of candy into her pocket:

"Maybe, but you can't prove it."

He got to his feet as well and headed to his desk, his hands full with a tray of tea cups and saucers.

"Have a lovely evening, Buffy."

"Giles?"

He sat the tray down on his desk and turned to her.

"Yes?"

"Thank you for always looking out for me. You’re the best father a girl could ask for."

She hugged him tight and was out the door before he could reply.

You have a father's love for the child.

"Bloody right, I do."

******************

"G-Man?"

"…."

"Giles?"

"What? Sorry, bit lost in thought down Memory Lane."

Buffy and Faith stood in front of him, Faith with a towel wrapped around her and Buffy in Xander's overly large Sunnydale t-shirt. She had stolen it from him years ago and he knew it, but couldn't prove it. Buffy never wore it in public unless he was out of town, as he now was.

"We were just wondering what day our surprise party is on."

"I'm afraid I've no idea what you're referring to, Buffy."

"Give it up, G-Man. You look guilty already and this interrogation hasn't even started yet. Make it easy on yourself."

"Yeah, Giles, just tell us. We have some plans of our own, so we want to get everything lined up. We won't let anybody know you told us, will we Faith?"

"Nope. Slayer's honor, Watcher."

Giles was clearly torn, but with both Slayers staring a hole through him, he caved.

"Fine, your party is the day after your anniversary. Willow convincingly made the case that the two of you would wish to celebrate the actual day on your own."

"Right she is. Me and B got some wicked…on our own plans."

Buffy blushed and smacked Faith:

"Don't start. We'll be ready, Giles."

"I'm ready now, B."

Said with an eyebrow wiggle that left nothing left to the imagination.

"Stop it. Okay, Giles, we'll see you later, okay?"

"Yeah, don't call us, we'll call you. Me and the old ball and chain gotta…OW!"

Buffy grabbed Faith's wrist and dragged her out of the office.

"G-Man, help! My wife's beating me."

"I'm going to beat you for real if you don't stop."

"That a promise, Mrs. Summers?"

"God, five years and you are still so sexy."

"Lifetime supply. Bein' a wife don't mean you gotta lose it, but then you already know that, Vacation Girl."

"Shhh, Mrs. Summers."

He heard their laughter fading as they ran up the stairs, and then all was quiet again. He swiveled back to stare out the window toward the deserted pool, noticing how the light was different now, falling in patterns that indicated a change of season was almost upon them. Summer was quickly giving way to autumn, and all too soon the Ohio winter would have its way. It wouldn't be much longer before Xander was winterizing and then closing the pool, and wherever did the time go?

The Slayers had kept their affair a secret for all these years and Giles assumed it was for the same reason he'd kept his: it amused him. He had known Faith was lying the moment she said the demon had gotten away and that she would have to track it. One of his southern informants had called in to report that he had witnessed a Slayer decapitating a Durses Demon in Atlanta.

"Mr. Giles, she done killed it like it weren't no trouble at all. She just reached out and took his own sword from him. His head was rollin' in less than five seconds and her eyes…Lord, Jesus, I won't never forget them eyes. That is one scary ass Slayer."

"Yes she is, you'd do well to avoid her. Thank you for notifying me, Lester."

Despite their general proximity, it hadn't occurred to him that she would seek out Buffy. He had assumed she merely wanted to blow off some steam, not settle unfinished business. But when both returned home, the easiness of their friendship led him to suspect that they had finally acted upon the sexual tension that had always existed between them. He was happy for their success – they'd obviously let go of their past and had somehow reached a new understanding that was actually going to last.

But then all too quickly things changed, and the tension they thought they'd done away with reared its head with a vengeance. They didn't understand what the true problem was, but Giles did. He had seen the possibility back in Sunnydale, had suspected then it was the cause of almost all their troubles, but now that they were older, any doubts he'd harbored were long gone. Buffy and Faith were madly in love with each other.   

He tried to stay out of it and let them find their own way, but as he watched them bicker and agree, push and pull, become ever closer and further apart, he realized they could go on as they were for years. And despite promising himself he would never again interfere in Buffy's personal life…Well, what good was it being the resident authority figure if he didn't ever exercise his authority?

Clearly they needed help and so he gave it to them, disguised as mandatory meetings twice a week. Dinner and then "just talking", as if, and it had worked like a charm. Five years ago this week he had walked them both down the aisle, and today, although it seemed impossible, they were even more in love than they had been back then. Impossible? Perhaps, but then they were Buffy and Faith, and doing the impossible was right in their peachy with a side of keen wheelhouse.

Giles smiled to himself as he turned back to his desk, opening a book to begin his research:

"A Watcher's work is never done."

The End


Chapter Views:




Please note: If you are using IE (particularly IE9) and having problems with the review form, try turning off text editor. Otherwise, try a different browser.