The Chosen Two Archive
A Buffy/Faith Fanfiction Community

The Chosen Two Archives

BROWSE BY:

Relationship [279]
Season [232]
Character
Genre

Archive Links:

Twitter
Awards
Tumblr
Links

Site Info

Members: 1539
Series: 20
Stories: 290
Chapters: 1551
Word count: 7910064
Authors: 59
Reviews: 2554
Reviewers: 156
Newest Member: evesock
 

Search





Wishing Changes Everything by declan4

Chapter notes:

This chapters short and sweet...without the sweet.

Pain all around on this one.

 

 

Helpless: Part 2 (What’s Right About This Passage Again?)

 

 

Buffy limped into sight of the school just as she finished picking the last of the leaves out of her jacket with her free hand. Her other arm was still cradling her ribs after their sudden encounter with a tree branch.

She’d gotten away from Trick and his men, but not cleanly. She felt sore all over, arms and shoulders aching from breaking her fall, head and neck from the fight in the town hall, and a badly sprained ankle from a poor landing.  In action movies they always show people parachuting or jumping into a tree line like its no big deal. Lying pack of Hollywood liars.

Forgoing the main exit, she didn’t want to explain her battered appearance to any late-night janitor’s; Buffy opted to enter the library through the back. Hissing every time she put her weight on her foot Buffy made her way as quickly as she could across the grounds, she knew Giles was still here; his car was in the faculty lot.

 

 Buffy wasn’t worried about her physical injuries, although the fact she was being beat up more this year than last ‘year’ was kind of distressing, but she would heal.

Some of the pain from her head and ribs was already fading, and in a couple of days she’d be good as new. But mentally, getting all waverey and lightheaded was far worse. Slayers who got dizzy right before a slay had a short shelf life like, some sort of fruit, a pear maybe? Buffy never knew when those things were ready to eat.

 

She’d even checked both her arms for fresh injection marks after fleeing the town hall, but nothing, no holes or bruising. So she didn’t think Giles was responsible, big relief.

 So Buffy would tell him, ask him for any thoughts he might have and then take the rest of the night and tomorrow off, ice-scapades beckoned. She needed some TLC from her failed infiltration mission, and since the mayor now knew that he was on her radar he’d be much more wary next time.

 

Buffy passed through a couple of side doors and ended up in the stacks at the back of the library, pausing in the gloom she slowly made her way forward.

As she did so she heard voices, Giles talking with someone, seemingly in sympathy.

 

“There, all done. Now that wasn’t so bad now was it?”

 

“I guess not.” The other voice was Faith, sounding pretty grumpy.

 

Buffy sped up a little, perhaps she’d missed the sword fight and Faith had somehow lost. She sure sounded upset about it. It would’ve been pretty surprising as well...but didn’t Faith say that she was coming down with something? Maybe it was a cold.

Buffy suddenly got a bad feeling and stopped, deciding to just listen as the conversation continued.

 

“So when is this stuff gonna kick in? Shouldn’t I be feelin’ better?” Faith asked Giles.

 

“The effects should take about half an hour to make themselves known.” Giles said reassuringly, “After that your strength and reflexes should start coming back.”

 

“’S good, cus’ I’m really off my game...barely gettin’ by. Like my games’ become...Lacrosse or somethin’ lame like that.”

 

Giles’ tone was conciliatory. “Well, I’m aware that you started you training before your calling, that must have standed you in good stead.”

 

Faith grunted. “Barely, though Xander and Red watchin’ my back was a big help, y’know?”

 

“I did tell you to forego patrolling until you were feeling better.” Giles admonished, “It was lucky nobody was injured.”

 

“Nah, we had a system down, it’s all good.” Faith chuckled dryly. “Maybe we should use this super-juice on the Scooby’s so they can help out some more.”

 

“Yes, well I wouldn’t recommend it...Some nasty side-effects.” Giles seemed to be moving around and putting stuff away, “Now did you bring your weapons like I asked?”

 

“Sure, everything I could fit in a bag. What’s up?”

 

Giles sighed, he seemed reluctant. “We’ve discovered the source of a new rash of undead activity in the area. It seems a vampire is busily siring left and right, trying to swell the surrounding vampiric population for an untold dark purpose.” He coughed slightly, “We’ve located his lair.”

 

Buffy could here Faith’s doubt. “Who’s we?”

 

“Buffy and I, we’ve been tracking attack patterns you see, looking for the source.” ‘Oh have we now...What the hell is Giles doing?’

 

“So where’s Buffy?” Faith asked.

 

“Uh, oh I would think that she’s probably waiting for you. I told her to scout the vampire’s location; fortunately he seems to occupy a nest all on his own.”

 

Buffy heard a chair scrape as Faith stood up. “Then where is she, I’ll head there now.”

 

“She’s near an old boarding house on Prescott Lane. If she’s not outside...she’s probably waiting for you inside, you know how she is.”

 

‘Oh, hell no... Kralik, he’s sending her after Kralik and using me as bait! This ends right now.’

 

Buffy stepped from behind the bookcase she’d been standing near for these long minutes, and immediately felt the familiar sense of vertigo kick in. She swayed and clutched the edge of the bookcase for support, she could still hear the conversation continuing, but the words echoed and distorted so much that couldn’t make out distinct words. She tried calling out but she felt queasiness rising in her stomach so she stopped.

Buffy gritted her teeth and fought back rising the nausea as she pressed her forehead against hard wood and musty books, fingers strong and steady but her legs felt numb. She could feel her vision swimming behind her eyes, and a sensation like water sloshing back and forth in her ears. What the hell was this...?

 

She heard approaching footsteps. “Buffy...” Giles’ voice, soft with surprise.

 

Buffy opened her eyes, still feeling queasy, and not just because of the dizzy spell. “You bastard.”

 

Giles was standing at the top of the stairs, not looking particularly pleased with himself. “How long have you been...?”

 

Buffy tested her legs by moving away from the bookcase. “Long enough,” She said glaring at him before calling out, “Faith! Faith!”

 

Giles looked around. “Faith left about five minutes ago, Buffy.” He spoke softly and with sympathy.

 

She turned on him. “You said you weren’t going to do it. You just stood there and lied to me, again!” Buffy said coldly, “You sent me on a suicide run and then used it as cover to send Faith somewhere to get killed. What the hell are you doing?” She started towards him but stumbled, she stopped herself from falling by hastily grabbing the banister.

 

Seemingly for the first time Giles took in her injuries, how she moved. “Buffy, what happened? Are you alright?”

 

Buffy grimaced as she swayed. “Like you care. How did you do it, huh? It couldn’t have been needles because that’s the first thing I checked.”

 

“Checked..?” Giles frowned, “Buffy, I didn’t do anything to you. I gave you my word...But the council, the preparations were already in motion and with Faith’s birthday having just passed...”

 

“What? You Watchers thought you’d get her a present?” Buffy gave a harsh laugh, “What do you get for the slayer who has nothing.”

 

Giles face was a mask of sorrow. “Every slayer must face the Cruciamentum. If it wasn’t to be you then it was to be Faith. I’m sorry, Buffy but in matters of protocol I must answer to the council.”

 

Buffy sneered at him. “So you betray her, the girl with trust issues and impulse control problems. That’s real smart.”

 

Giles sighed and took off his glasses. “You’re more right than you know.”

 

Despite herself Buffy asked. “What do you mean?”

 

Giles looked at her, his eyes tired. “Faith is…an exceptional slayer, but she does have faults. Her first instinct is to always attack, sometimes without thinking. I have tried talking to her but she’s too stubborn. She’s also reckless and overconfident and that…that I fear will eventually lead to her death. Or perhaps the death of somebody else.”

 

‘Alan Finch…’ “So you’re saying this is what, for her own good? …No, that’s bullshit. That’s just the council’s ‘she’ll come out stronger’ company line. She’ll come out hating you.” But Buffy’s voice sounded unsure, even to herself.

 

“You think I don’t know that.” Giles snapped, “But it will keep her alive longer and I have to believe that the risk is worth taking.” Giles sighed as his voice softened again. “…I didn’t want to do this Buffy, but I had no choice. You must know that.”

 

Buffy felt her anger growing again. “You want to know what I know…I know that your beloved superiors royally screw up this test thing. That Kralik escapes and murders his handlers before turning one of them. That’s what I know.”

 

Giles eyes widened in shock. “But you didn’t say…”

 

“Because you lied to my face and told me the test wasn’t taking place at all! I thought that was it. Done. But now everything…” Buffy froze as she thought of something, “Giles, did the Watchers know where Faith was staying, did they know that she was staying at my house?”

 

Giles nodded. “Of course, but why…Good lord, Joyce!”

 

Buffy made her way down the stairs and over to the front desk. “He’s gonna take Mom again, use her to bait Faith. He has a thing for Mothers, that’s what he told me last time.”

 

Buffy grabbed the phone and dialed her house, waiting an eternity as the phone rang and rang. ‘C’mon Mom, please…’

No answer, the machine got it. And Mom should be back from the gallery this late.

 

Buffy turned to Giles. “I don’t care about your ‘rite of passage’ bullshit; I’m going after them both. Now.”

 

Giles nodded understandingly. “Of course Buffy, but…your injured, badly. How did you come to…?”

 

“Tell you later, but Faith is not facing Kralik alone. She might not be able to…” Buffy shook her head but didn’t finish.

 

A new voice spoke up from behind her. “That is the point of the exercise, Miss Summers.”

 

Buffy turned to see Travers standing at the library doors. “You.”

 

Travers regarded Buffy sternly. “Miss Summers, you are forbidden to interfere with the test.”

 

She flexed her fingers and smiled dangerously. “I’d be kinda curious to know how you’re going to stop me.”

 

“Mr. Giles, control your slayer.” Travers kept his voice firm, “Before she does something you’ll both regret.”

 

Giles fumed. “The test is over. Kralik has escaped and by now either Blair or Hobson will have been turned. This whole thing has spun impressively out of control. Quentin, I’m appealing to you to stop this at once.”

 

Travers nodded somberly. “I am…aware of the situation. It changes nothing.”

 

Giles just stared in disbelief as Buffy glared at him. “That maniac has my mother.”

 

That seemed to give Travers pause. “Then…in that case you must rely on your fellow slayer to rescue her, just as you would trust her with your own life, night after night.”

 

Buffy stepped forward but stopped herself just in time. “I am seriously considering hitting you.”

 

Travers didn’t even blink. “A slayer must be more than physical prowess, Miss Summers. She must have cunning, imagination, and a confidence that comes from self-reliance. Believe me when the exercise is over your friend will be stronger for it.” Travers looked at Giles, “You’ve told me of this girl…her talents. That combined with Miss Dormer’s notes…”

 

Buffy had had enough; she hurried over to Quentin and grabbed him. “This isn’t an exercise, moron. This is people’s lives you’re playing with.” She then shoved him hard to one side and raced out of the library, she’d lost enough time talking with that crusty old idiot. At least Giles understood the dangers now, but the question was did Faith?

 

 

*~~*

 

 

The boarding house loomed before Buffy, doors closed, windows boarded and bricked up. A house of death with Faith and her Mom trapped inside.

Despite the pain in her chest and limbs, her weakness, the light-headedness that faded in and out, Buffy hadn’t hesitated. She’d pushed out all those sensations, including the seeping feeling of helplessness that threatened to overcome her.

She’d pressed herself onward, sprinting over to this place as fast as she could, as nightmare after nightmare reeled through her head, of her Mom tied up and helpless, of hearing Faith calling out her name in fear and panic, of not being there in time.

 

Now with focused anger she kicked at the sturdy front door, feeling solid wood and lock tear away from the door jam, the noise was jarringly loud in the quiet of the night.

Buffy stepped cautiously into the house, its dilapidated surroundings coming back to her in eerily clear detail. But there were some differences, scattered across the foyer floor were a few weapons, splintered stakes, a dropped dagger, even a small axe embedded in the wall opposite, like it had been thrown.

But what caught Buffy’s eye and made her insides freeze was blood.

Large droplets scattered across the floor, trailing to the stair case, like somebody was steadily seeping blood as they moved. Buffy reached and snatched up an intact stake, looking left and right towards the murky shadows. Nothing.

 

Buffy walked forward, heading for the foot of the stairs when she heard a creak from behind her. She turned to see a vampire lunge at her from behind the front door, its growl mixed with a snarl of pain as it had tore itself loose of a crossbow bolt that had pinned it to the wall.

Buffy dodged backwards and kicked out on instinct, her foot connecting low and making the vampire stumble past her. She twisted the stake as she spun and lunged at its back but, quicker than she had thought, the vampire turned and seized her exposed wrist. He slammed a fist into her sore ribs before throwing Buffy around and across the room with deceptive strength. Buffy stumbled forward as her foot connected with something heavy and she crashed hard against a crumbling sofa.

That’s when she heard the female scream coming from upstairs, one not of fear but of pain. Buffy struggled to get up, cursing the sluggishness in her limbs as she was grasped around the back of the neck and hauled up.

 

“I’m getting real tired…” Without looking she jammed the stake backwards directly into the vamps heart, “Of grabby men.”

She turned and walked through the exploding haze of dust, quickening her pace as she neared the foot of the stairs. The screams had stopped; all that greeted her as she ascended was ominous silence.

Despite her better judgment Buffy cried out. “Faith! Faith, hang on!”

Halfway up the steps Buffy paused to step over bits of broken banister, spotting a discarded penknife she recognized as belonging to Faith, as well as curious wood shavings littering one of the steps. Faith making new stakes? And where the hell was Kralik?

 

A voice from above answered her last question. “Well, what do we have here? Dessert? And I haven’t even finished my main course.” There was a dry chuckle.

Buffy gripped her stake as she looked up into the darkness, she saw Kralik descending, almost casually, and he held his pills in one hand. “Hey, you wouldn’t have some water would you? I just hate dry swallowing…it, heh, drives me crazy.”

 

Buffy readied herself, her legs tensing. “I’ve got something that’ll make your pain go away for good, it’s a regular cure-all.” She looked into his eyes as they caught the half-light, “Where’s Faith?”

 

He grinned and almost giggled. “I killed her.” Buffy’s heart almost stopped.

 

And that’s when he struck out with a leg at Buffy’s face, her eyes flickering with uncertainty, catching her solidly under the chin and sending her flying forcefully back down the stairs. Her back crashed hard against the hand rail, splintering old dead wood as it disintegrated under the force of her weight. The impact sent white-hot pain spiraling across her back, Buffy came to moments later on the floor in the lobby, shattered spokes and broken bits of wood lay all around her. She scrambled for her lost stake.

 

Suddenly Kralik brought his boot down on her searching hand, heel crushing painfully against her fingers. Buffy cried out as he clutched at the back of her neck and pulled her upright. She struggled against his strength, shooting an elbow into his stomach. He barely grunted, ignoring any pain, before swinging her around and face first into the newel post. Creaking timber exploded on impact as Buffy barely got her arms up in time to protect her head, she tumbled away onto the floor and rolled forward, partially blinded and feeling wetness on her face. She scrambled as she tried to get some space, a doorway between herself and Kralik so she could regroup.

 

Buffy pushed herself up and wiped her hand across her eyes, pushing away any fragments of wood. She saw a door up ahead, maybe the one to the basement?

But Kralik was relentless, seizing her shoulders in a vice-like grip, his voice a sing-song rasp in her ear. “Someone’s in the basement. Let’s go see.”

 

With that he flung Buffy headlong at the door which shattered as it impacted against her. Stairs flew up to meet her as Buffy bounced down them, twisting and tumbling end over end as the floor hammered her body, ribs blaring out in strident agonizing chords as she crashed in a heap at the bottom. Her head swam as the dust settled; her brain was being filled with a chorus of painful signals. Something liquid trickled down into her ear, she wasn’t sure if it was blood or sweat.

Buffy’s limbs felt leaden but still she managed to pull herself up, blinking to clear her vision she sensed Kralik at the top of the stairs. She crawled across the floor, through the rubble and debris that was scattered everywhere.

 

Buffy saw her Mom, still gagged and tied to a chair to one side, held as a terrified prisoner. To her left stood Faith, battered and bloody, she looked at Buffy, her face grim. There were scratches on her forehead, bloody smears on her neck where she looked like she’d been bit, her bottom lip was split and her left cheek was beginning to swell. Faith didn’t react to Buffy, or how she looked. Her jaw was rigid with tension, her cheeks pursed, her mouth clamped shut and her eyes unreadable. In her right hand she held a crossbow; the left was curled protectively against her side like it was hurt.

 

Buffy felt a hand clutch at her leg before she was hauled back into the shadows, hearing her Mom’s panicked cries through her gag. Buffy tried to resist but her muscles wouldn’t work, her limbs felt like useless dead weight and her nerves trembling with soreness. Kralik effortlessly pulled her upright.

 

He held Buffy rigid against himself, shielding himself from Faith’s aim. “Now little girl, let’s make a deal. I cast aside this...tasty meal when you toss your weapon. That sounds fair, hmn?” He chuckled darkly, his hand clamped on Buffy’s throat.

Buffy tried to shake her head, to speak or make a sound but his grip was too tight, and she was too weak. It seemed like everywhere that didn’t hurt was dead and numb.

 

She tried to read Faith’s eyes, but all she saw there was fear.

Faith didn’t say anything, didn’t hesitate, she just threw the crossbow so it clattered between them. Buffy watched as her Mom’s eyes widened in terror.

Buffy felt Kralik sigh and then toss Buffy like a rag doll, she slammed hard against an old industrial washing machine, she huffed out a painful breath as she hit the floor, and her head slumped. Blearily with her eyes she willed Faith to try and retrieve the crossbow.

 

But Kralik was walking towards Faith at a predatory stroll, and had already stepped over the discarded weapon. His hands held high. “See, I’m a man of my word. I’m not a monster...Well; actually I’m a monster of my word, but you get the idea.” He glanced between Faith and Buffy’s Mom and then tapped his chin thoughtfully, “I’ll tell you what... after I turn you, you can decide which one to eat and which one to turn. One big happy family. How does that sound?”

 

Faith still didn’t speak; her lips were pressed firmly together. But Faith’s throat seemed to flexing involuntarily, her wide eyes fixed of Kralik as her right arm went behind her back before quickly pulling out a crucifix and brandishing it at Kralik.

 

Buffy’s eyes widened in despair. ‘That won’t work, he’ll get past it and... hurt her.’

 

Her eye’s searched frantically across the floor before spotting the crossbow nearby, its bolt having skipped the groove and rolled to within reach of Buffy. She flexed her fingers, feeling a twinge in her shoulder as she did so, but she managed to scoot a little and close her fingers around the wooden bolt. She tested to see if her stiff legs could move. Trembling with effort she managed to pull them under herself. As she did so Kralik stepped to within a foot of Faith.

 

His teeth were bared at the cross, his body trembling with tension before he suddenly seized Faith’s wrist and pulled her close, laying her hand and the crucifix against her skin. “Ah, that’s...nice, a little lower. That’s it.” Smoke rose from his chest as he moved Faith’s hand around, “This holds no fear for me, little girl, it’s just wood.” He leaned forward against her trapped arm, his mouth wide and smiling, “What are you afraid of?”

 

And the then Faith smile.

 

And spat.

 

A long stream of water came from her mouth, arching directly into Kralik’s face and open mouth, splashing against his lips and blistering as it did so. Kralik screamed and choked in agony as his face and throat were engulfed in sizzling smoke. “Aaarrrggghh!” Kralik screamed, clawing at his throat and mouth, eyes wide and bulging. He released Faith’s hand and she jerked the crucifix away and pulled it back.

“Ain’t afraid of you asshole.” Faith plunged the crucifix down into Kralik’s face, its long stem sinking deep into his eyes socket. His screams and bellows became louder and higher pitched as he staggered and fell backwards onto the floor, his body writhing and jerking in agony. Faith followed him down, straddling him.

Faith snarled as she pulled the cross back, revealing that the long stem had been sharpened to a point. “Stake’s just wood too, dumbass.” She plunged it down, her face twisted in savage glee as she stabbed at his throat, again and again. Burning, holy wood punctured through undead flesh, burning and crisping as it did so. Kralik writhed in agony, parts of his neck and lower jaw were now smoking constantly from the burning holy water, almost beginning to blacken and melt.

Faith brought her hand back in a wide arch before stabbing down once more with full force, straight into Kralik’s chest, and then the smoke was curling up from nothing but dust, Kralik’s cries were silent and the basement was eerily quiet again.

 

Buffy pulled herself to her knees. “Faith! Faith...god, are you okay?”

 

Faith slumped back on her haunches, energy seemingly spent. Her voice was dull.  “A little sticky...think my wrists broke.”

 

“Don’t worry we’ll get you out of here...”Buffy stopped as Faith started crying, the brunette covering her face as harsh sobs wracked her frame, her shoulders trembling with a mixture of relief and sorrow. Buffy went over to her and hugged her shoulders.

To her surprise Faith resisted her, and pushed her away. “Where were you? You were supposed to be here...” Her voice was accusatory, “...Giles said you’d be...” She voice suddenly became dull with realisation, now that the terror of her situation was over, she was beginning to realise what had happened, what Giles had done.

Buffy backed off and made her way over to her Mom, concentrating on removing her gag and bonds, and then she could see about fixing Faith.

 

Because she was broken.

 

 

*~~*

 

“Congratulations. You passed.” Travers, with his hands in his pockets, nodded at Faith, “The exhibited extraordinary courage and clear-headedness in battle. The council is very please.”

 

Faith sat at the desk, curled in a chair, her left arm now in a crude splint, her eyes dully watching Travers.

“Well goodie, now I feel all warm inside.” She voice cracked with barely contained anger, Buffy, watching from across the table, could relate.

 

Travers nodded in understanding. “You think the test was unfair?”

 

“I think the next time I see you, you better be moving your tubby ass in the other direction.” Faith snarled.

 

“We’re not in the business of fair, Miss Lehane. We’re fighting a war.”

 

Buffy spoke up. “Actually, we’re fighting it. You’re watching. There’s a difference.”

 

“I’ll get to you in due course Miss Summers; there are consequences for the actions you took.”

 

Giles spoke up from behind Travers. “The test is done Quentin, you should leave. We’re finished.”

 

“Not quite.” He turned to regard Giles, “The slayer is not the only one who must perform in this situation. You lost control of your slayer when you became personally involved.” Travers sighed regrettably, “I have recommended to the council, and they have agreed, that you be removed from your duties as watcher effective immediately. You’re fired.”

 

Giles seemed a little taken aback. “On what grounds.”

 

Travers shook his head in disappointment. “You took the side of your slayer against the council’s wishes. It has become clear that your affection for her has rendered you incapable of clear and impartial judgement. And that is useless to the cause.” His voice was firm now, “It would be best for you not to have any further contact with either slayer.”

 

Giles shook his head. “I’m not going anywhere.” He said firmly.

 

“No, well, I didn’t expect you to adhere to that. However, if you interfere with the new watcher or try to countermand his authority in any way you will be dealt with. Are we clear?”

 

Giles didn’t even try to hide his distain. “Oh, we’re very clear.”

 

Nodding Travers turned back to Faith, smiling softly. “Congratulations again.”

 

“Screw you.”

 

Travers frowned slightly at the disrespect, but shrugged it off as he left. “Yes, quite...Spirited girl.”

 

Faith watched him go before slowly getting up, wincing as she did so.

 

Buffy hurried over. “Faith, don’t move.”

 

She looked at her dully. “Get away from me.”

 

Buffy stopped and held back. “We need to get you to a hospital. We should’ve gone earlier.”

 

Faith glanced between Buffy and Giles. “You don’t seem t’be too surprised by all this, B. Why is that?”

 

“I...” Buffy hesitated, “I didn’t know Giles was going to do this to you, I swear.”

 

Faith eyed her suspiciously before turned on Giles. “Why?”

 

“It’s a council test, Faith. It’s done when the slayer reaches eighteen.” Giles paused uncomfortably.

 

“And Buffy’s eighteenth is comin’ up so I get the short straw, is that it?” Faith limped passed them both, scowling. “Guess it don’t matter. We know who the favourite is anyways.”

 

Giles stepped forward hesitantly. “Faith...”

 

“We’re done,” Faith interrupted coldly, “I see you again, I’ll kill you, I swear. The only reason I ain’t is ‘cause you’re Buffy’s watcher.” Faith tilted her head slightly and smiled thinly, “Although, I guess you ain’t anymore, huh? Well, how ‘bout that. Best watch your back then, Rupert.”

 

Giles held up a placating hand. “Faith, I didn’t have a choice...”

 

“You better stop talkin’ now; otherwise I’m huntin’ ya down when I get my powers back.” Faith’s eyes burned into him, “How didja do it anyhow? I mean, apart from that last injection, obviously.”

 

Giles shook his head, his face miserable. “A muscle relaxant in your water bottle, mixed with sedatives.”

 

Buffy stepped in front of Faith. “Faith, please. I know how it feels. I know how angry you are, but we can get past this, okay? You don’t have to forgive Giles, but we need...”

 

“No, actually you need to,” Faith looked Buffy up and down, “And you don’t know how it feels...to be...t’have everything that makes you special just taken like that. If you knew how it felt... there’s no way you could ‘get past’ it.” Faith stopped as she thought about it. “Tell me, B, if your Mom hadn’t been there, would you even have showed up?”

 

Buffy looked disbelieving. “Of course I...I came to save you!”

 

Faith glared at her. “Well, you’re hidin’ something, I’m sure of that. And I’m done trusting blindly...So until you tell me whatever it is you’re not tellin’ me, we’re through.” She went to move passed her.

 

Buffy moved desperately to stop her, to get her to listen. “Faith, please just stop, don’t do this. I can explain!”

 

“Move it, or we throw down, B. I mean it.” Faith wouldn’t look at her, “Joyce is waiting to take me to the hospital.”

 

Dumbly Buffy stepped aside and watched the brunette leave, she couldn’t feel anything. All the pain of her own injuries was swept away by the terrifying numbness that gripped her heart.

 

Holding her head Buffy slumped down on one of the chairs, dimly aware that it was now past midnight. Her birthday.

 

Giles spoke up softly, hesitantly. “Buffy...You and Faith, ah, is there something...”

 

Buffy spoke in barely a whisper, her throat tight, and her eyes holding back tears. “Don’t Giles. Just, please... don’t.”

 

And through her head, those sentences from Christmas swirled. Echoing back and mocking her.

 

 

‘“It’s strange, don’t you think that the most powerful hate is born out of love. All that jealousy and passion. Not to mention betrayal. It all burns so fierce.”’

 

‘“Faith...that’s not her anymore, she wouldn’t betray me.”’

 

‘“Interesting. You thought I was talking about her...”’

 

 

Chapter end notes:

Oh, no!

Next up, 'The Zeppo'- will the upcoming apocolypse reunite out two slayers?

Will they save the world?

Will Xander still get laid?

All important questions...


Chapter Views: 1644




Please note: If you are using IE (particularly IE9) and having problems with the review form, try turning off text editor. Otherwise, try a different browser.