The Chosen Two Archive
A Buffy/Faith Fanfiction Community

The Chosen Two Archives

BROWSE BY:

Relationship [279]
Season [232]
Character
Genre

Archive Links:

Twitter
Awards
Tumblr
Links

Site Info

Members: 1539
Series: 20
Stories: 290
Chapters: 1551
Word count: 7910064
Authors: 59
Reviews: 2554
Reviewers: 156
Newest Member: evesock
 

Search





Wishing Changes Everything by declan4

Chapter notes:

Another very short chapter, still working on the pacing, and I'm gonna have to wait at least a week for the next part.

And I couldn't leave you guys hanging for that long...

 

Right, now a little request. Anyone interested in doing me a banner for this story?I know its a little late but I do like me a story with a banner.

I would be very grateful, and send out positive vibes in your general direction for ever and ever if you did. :)

It would also cure my cold, really it would.

 

 

Bad Girls: Part 4 (The Way It Could Have Gone)

 

 

Buffy, heart in her throat, raced over to Faith as she crouched over the downed man. His body laying slumped and limp against the dumpster. Willow stood stock still; her eyes followed Buffy as she squatted down by the other side of Finch. Buffy’s mind was frozen by the simple, searing fact that it had happened again.  In spite of everything she had done, everything Faith had been through, this horrifying moment had been repeated, and Finch had been slain at Faith’s hand.

 

Except... when she looked down she didn’t see any blood on Finch’s lips, or any gaping chest wound. Buffy saw that even though Faith’s stake was pressed hard against Finch’s chest there was no blood. Then Faith gently moved her hand back and prodded his torso with the end of her stake. The blunt end. The sharp end was hidden in Faith’s fist.

 

“It’s just some dude.” Faith said evenly, her breath shaking a little from the adrenaline.

 

“You didn’t..? I though you were going to...” Buffy didn’t say anything else; her chest seemed to seize up.

Such a powerful wave relief washed over Buffy that for one brief moment she felt like laughing, she actually felt the giggles building up in the tightness of her chest. But she focused and stopped herself; maybe she should just give Faith a big hug instead.

 

Willow was sympathetic. “That was a close one, Faith. I mean, what kind of guy goes around grabbing strangers in alleys, anyway. Big, dumb... man.”

 

Faith shook her head slightly. “Felt something was off when I kicked him. Way too soft to be a vamp. So I didn't get all stake-happy.” She prodded him again, “Think I knocked him out though, he banged his head pretty good.” She sounded a little guilty.

 

That was when Buffy laughed, huffing out big snorts of delight. She couldn’t help herself. Finch was alive and Faith was worried that she’d made him bump his head. Life was wonderful.

 

Faith gave Buffy a puzzled look. “Y’know, B. When they say laughter is the best medicine, they mean it for the one who’s actually in pain.”

 

Willow spoke up quietly. “I don’t see any other vampires nearby. But still, not the best time to get the giggles, Buffy.”

 

Buffy waved a hand in apology as she cupped her other hand over her mouth and tried to control her breathing. “I’m sorry. I just...it’s just all the adrenaline. I’m fine, really.”

 

Faith seemed to be considering something. “Yeah, well. What’re we gonna do with him. We need to get to the warehouse now before they realise their guards are toast.”

 

“You took out the last of them. They’re unaware, for the moment.” Angel spoke up from the shadows. Willow let out a small eep of surprise.

 

Buffy stood up and looked over at him. “Angel, glad you could make it. But this guy isn’t just anybody, it’s the Deputy Mayor.”

 

Faith leaned over to grab her discarded bow before standing as well. She shrugged. “Politician, huh? Well, makes me feel better about kicking him.”

 

Angel crinkled his forehead. “So he’s important. The question is; what was he doing in this part of town?” He asked pointedly.

 

Buffy stared hard at the prone man. “I’m thinking he was looking for us. No way is this coincidence.”

 

Willow thought about it. “Hey, maybe he just wanted to give both of you a-a...good citizen award or something. Because of all the, y’know, good deeds and stuff.”

 

“And the dark alley at night was what? Just t’add mystery?” Faith shook her head, “Guy’s up t’somethin’. Or maybe he’s in trouble and needs our help.”

 

Buffy looked around. “We can’t just wait around wondering. We need to move.”

 

Faith nodded. “’Kay, this guy’s comin’ with us, so we can keep an eye on him. Red and I’ll find a ladder, get up somewhere high.” She handed her bow to Willow, “You and Angel kick in the front door, and make some noise, and I’ll be there t’back you up.”

 

Angel nodded and gestured over his shoulder. “There’s a fire escape on the north side that leads up to a back office. It should be a good enough place to stash your friend there.”

 

“Be careful, both of you.” Buffy watched Faith as she easily hoisted the limp but breathing form of Finch onto her shoulder. With a slight smile and a wink at Buffy she headed off into the shadows, Willow quickly followed leaving Buffy and Angel alone.

 

Buffy tried to ignore all the giddiness and relief that she was feeling about the near miss and focus on Angel and the upcoming battle. She moved cautiously towards the front of the warehouse and waited there for a few minutes, readying her sword. “How many of them are in there.”

 

“Eight or so, and something that used to be Balthazar.” Angel seemed a little hesitant, “Did I, ah, hear you laughing back there?”

 

“Uh...yeah, it was a thing. But relax; wacky Buffy’s taking a break.” She stopped by the front entrance and inclined her head towards it, “Anything else I should know?”

 

Angel thought about it. “Do you know any fat jokes?”

 

Buffy nodded. “Quite a few actually.”

 

Angel gestured at the front door. “Then you’re good to go.”

 

Buffy quietly opened the door and heard Balthazar’s grating, angry voice echoing through the warehouse. “...you will find them all! The Watchers and their allies. You will bring the slayers to me!”

 

Buffy spoke up in a puzzled voice. “But I’m already here. Oh, do you want me to go over there so you don’t have to shout so loud?”

 

“Slayer!” Balthazar squawked from a prostrate position in his water tank. The group of vampires that surrounded him turned as a group to face her, a couple of them drew swords.

 

Buffy held up a hand. “Please, don’t get up.”

 

The fat demon burbled angrily. “You have something that belongs to me slayer, and I will have it.”

 

Buffy began to close the distance, slowly moving towards Balthazar. “Okay, so how do you want to do this? Oh, lemme guess, you want to win it from me in some sort of...pie-eating contest?” She said brightly. From the corner of her eye Buffy saw Faith appear from the upper shadows, readying her bow.

 

“Very droll.” Balthazar barked, “But no, I will simply pry it from your cold dead hands...when they are brought before me.”

 

Angel stepped forward, his face demonically twisted in preparation for the fight. “Actually, in that case, you’ll want my cold dead hands.”

 

“Enough. I’m already bored. Kill them!” Balthazar roared and the vampires rushed them both.

With a small nod of satisfaction Angel charged three of the group, driving them off into one corner of the warehouse, while the other five fanned out to try and flank Buffy. But she didn’t stay still; instead she swiftly went at one of the assassins, swinging her sword to drive him back and to the side so that she could leap up onto the loading dock and took the high ground before they had a chance to surround her.

The vampires all changed their direction immediately, one vampire quickly clambering up over wooden pallets to land next to Buffy. Another of the lead vamps paused to briefly touch his chest in puzzlement, his fingertips brushing over the tip of the arrow that had appeared there before disintegrating to ashes.

 

Buffy delivered several stinging jabs to the vampire to her left, driving him back, and then lashed out to kick another vampire in the face as he tried to climb up after her. She then  ducked the returning vampire as he charged, sweeping her sword down to trip his legs so he sprawled onto the solid concrete ground as he went past.

Across the warehouse Buffy saw Angel backhand one vampire across the face before kicking the other in the crotch, slamming a hard knee into his downed opponent’s face so he tumbled away before head butting the first vampire back into a stack of packing crates. He then grabbed an attempted kick by the third vampire before yanking him forward into a brutal clothesline that slammed him to the ground.

 

Buffy kicked one vampire back into his companion, slammed a boot down onto his ankle so he dropped to one knee in agony, she then sliced her sword crossways at the vampire behind him, smiling grimly as her blade caught him at neck height and beheaded him.

Another vampire, charging in behind her, screamed in pain as he burst into a moving dust cloud. Faith was making her shots count.

Buffy blocked a downward hacking blade before punching her assailant under the chin, elbowing him in the throat, then grabbing and twisting him around, throwing him through the air so he slammed hard against some nearby oil drums.

Buffy now turned to face two vampires, one of which busily pulled an arrow out of his neck and threw it to one side; his face was a grimace of hatred and pain

Suddenly he was smashed off of the raised group and impacted hard down onto a packing crate, Buffy saw Faith drop to the ground next to her, hands letting go of the rope she’d swung down on, and then she pulled out a hand axe from her jacket.

 

Faith grinned at Buffy. “Always wanted t’do that.”

 

“Glad you decided to drop in.” Buffy smiled, “Get it? Drop in. Boy, tough warehouse.”

 

Faith shook her head even as she eyed up their remaining opponent. “These guys haven’t got that much to smile about, B. Let’s put ‘em out of their misery.”

 

“I’m cool with that.” They then both moved forward swiftly, weapons clashing together as the slayers surged off of the high ground, driving the vampire down onto the warehouse floor. Buffy caught her foe under the chin with a brutal knee, before catching him in the side with a snap kick and then a roundhouse to the head then sent him flying.

She saw Faith viciously punch another vampire as it surged at her from behind a crate; she caught him hard in the face with a one-two combination before grabbing him by the hair and spinning him around, and then redirected him so he flipped onto his back. She brought her axe down in a gleaming arc to chop him at the neck and finish him.

Buffy snapped a look to Angel who was handily dealing with the last of his opponents; another two unconscious figures lay about him. Buffy’s vampire was the last one and he fought back like he knew it, attacking her with a strength borne of desperation. Buffy ducked under a frantic swing of his sword to kick him in the back of the knee, smashed the pommel of her sword into his face as he twisted for balance and then spun around, blade extended at head height, to neatly decapitate him.

 

Buffy turned to smile at Faith but her victory was short lived. With a gasp of surprise Faith was lifted through the air and sucked back by a wave of rippling, distorted air, which seemed to paralyse her even as it dragged her backwards into Balthazar’s waiting grasp. His podgy hands coiled firmly around Faith’s head, his grip strong enough to ignore her as she struggled to get free.

 

“Now, slayer. You have no choice. You or your vampire will GIVE. ME. MY. AMULET!”

 

Buffy froze, eyes darting over to the overhead light fixture she’d pulled down the last time, but it was too far away. She tried to stall him.

“Right....your amulet. What did it look like again? Was it gold, or, y’know, is that too flashy for a demon that clearly has body issues...”

 

But then she saw Willow. The redhead was standing on the overhead catwalk, hefting an axe over her head then she swung it against a support cable. There was a small burst of electrical light as sparks flew and then the overhead lamp dropped down into Balthazar’s tank of water.

The demon roared hideously and dropped the struggling Faith to the ground. He flailed and splashed as arcs of electricity coursed over his bulging, glistening flesh. The skin smoked and reddened and a sickly sweet odour filled the air. With one last, surging cry, Balthazar heaved his last, his skin blistering and splitting as he did so.

 

Buffy scrambled over to Faith as the dark haired girl picked herself up, shaking her head slightly. “What the hell was that?”

 

Buffy caught her under the arm to steady her. “Some demon-y superpower. So, was it better or worse than heat vision?” She said lightly, relieved.

 

Suddenly the waters around Balthazar surged as he righted himself, his eyes fixed themselves on Buffy and Faith as they turned to him, startled.

“Slayers...” He growled, his voice hushed and liquid sounding, “You think you’ve won?” He gave a harsh, gargling chuckle, “When he rises....You’ll wish I had killed you all.” With a wet rasp he breathed his last, his hideous features twisted in a smile.

 

“Cryptic last words.” Angel replied dryly as he joined them, “You two okay?”

 

Faith shrugged. “Little woozy...I’m cool though.”

 

Buffy nodded before looking upwards. “Uh, Willow?”

 

The redhead waved down from her vantage point. “Hey guys, you all good? That’s good because after that just happened I’m going to go now because I think I’m going barf.” With that Willow hurried along the gantry towards the exit.

 

Faith blinked slowly a couple of times. “I should go and fetch that guy...”But Angel put a hand out to stop her.

 

“I’ll do it.” Angel said, “You shouldn’t go clambering around high places any time soon.”

 

Faith didn’t argue and let Buffy lead her out of the warehouse.

 

 

*~~*

 

 

“What’s happening tonight?”

 

The fresh-faced politician squirmed in his seat, the personification of nervousness, and clearly uncomfortable being the centre of attention. Buffy stood next to him while Willow, Oz, Xander and Cordelia sat round the table, looking at him warily. Wesley and Giles were half-glancing through the documents Finch had taken from the town hall.

Finch swallowed. “He calls it... the dedication, it’s, ah, v-very important to him. I’m not really too clear on the details. He mentioned something called an Ascension and, uh, a hundred days.”

 

“That’s one creepy sounding boss you got there.”Faith commented dryly. She was sitting cross-legged at the end of the table, examining her fingernails.

 

“And you’re certain of the fact that this ritual takes place at midnight tonight?” Asked Giles then more thoughtfully, “That tends to be a very auspicious time for castings, especially powerful ones.”

 

“That doesn’t leave us much to work with though, what, four hours at most.” Angel said as he paced back and forth across the library.

 

“Well, it could be this is how the Mayor maintains his ageless appearance as we discovered in the historical records.” Commented Wesley, “An immortality spell linked to lunar cycles could very well...”

 

“It’s nothing to do with the moon.” Oz said firmly.

 

Wesley turned to him. “Are you sure? My calculations...”

 

Oz gave a wry smile. “Trust me, its not.”

 

“It’s his hobby.” Willow smiled and patted Oz’s arm. Wesley looked bemused.

 

Buffy turned back to Finch. “What else can you tell us?”

 

Finch shifted slightly. “Well, after your attempted...that is, the break-in at the town hall, security was heightened. About ten or so guards’ are on the grounds day or night, with another four armed guards on the second floor at all times. Plus, there are some... mystical enchantments. I wasn’t privy to any of those.”

 

“Our tax dollars at work.” Xander snarked before asking Finch, “How can you stand to work for this guy?”

 

Finch shrugged. “It was all...necessary, to begin with, trying to keep a lid on the town’s more unhealthy aspects. Trying to protect people from things that...they wouldn’t be able to deal with. We were doing good. But...all of this year, um, things have been different. He’s been more concerned with something else.”

 

“And I’m guessing it not election time.” Buffy said, “That tribute-sacrifice thing in the sewers, that was big. Plus he’s obviously afraid of Faith and me interfering. This is more than just a stay young and pretty kinda deal.”

 

“’Dedication’ is a rather vague term.” Replied Wesley, though he did glance in Giles‘direction. Giles, though, seemed preoccupied with his own thoughts and didn’t add comment, “Most likely an appeal to a demonic patron for power or protection. They can be rather...tricky to perform, or so I’m lead to believe. ‘Ascension’ is even more of an odd term.”

 

Finch gestured to the folders that had been in the back seat of his car. “What about the documents I brought, will they help at all?”

 

Giles, who absently flicked through a few more of the pages, nodded. “Yes, this is all very detailed. Judging from these notes the Mayor has obtained quite a few, ah, esoteric items over the years.” He looked over at Buffy, “With some research we should be able to narrow down possible spells, counter-measures he has in place. And, ah, find a way to counteract them.”

 

“Good, because whatever this deal of his is, it’s not happening.” Buffy turned to Finch, “The Mayor, I’m guessing he’ll want you there tonight.”

 

“W-well yes.” Finch swallowed and nodded, “But now I’m here, you can protect me, right?”

 

She shook her head. “No, you’re going to go back to him. You say that you saw Faith and me fight and kill Balthazar, but it took a lot out of us. We got injured. That should help him relax a bit before his big night.”

 

“I’m not sure that’s a good idea, B.” Faith spoke up, “Ol’ Finch here doesn’t look like the ‘cool under pressure’ Donnie Brasco-type. He’s gonna squeal.”

 

Xander tapped the table. “Yeah, I second that movie comparison.”

 

Oz looked thoughtful. “Guys, depending on how twitchy the Mayor is, we might not have a choice.”

 

Buffy looked around at the other slayer and at her friends as she explained. “Agreed. If Finch doesn’t show tonight then the Mayor will be even more paranoid, and I don’t want him to see us coming until its too late.”She then gave Finch a hard stare, “I’m sorry, but we haven’t got another option, you have to go back. But only until we get there, then you get out as fast as you can. ‘His honour’ will be too busy with us to worry about you.”

 

The younger man blanched at the thought. Maybe Faith was right, but Buffy couldn’t see another option. They needed anything to get the Mayor Richard Wilkins to lower his guard just a little. They needed a little surprise on their side.

Finally Finch nodded. “If I have to do it, then I should go now. The sooner the better and put any suspicions to rest...and I’ll tell him about Balthazar. Good news always makes him, uh, very chipper.” Reluctantly he got out of his chair and looked over at Buffy, “Thank you for doing this.”

With that he made to leave the library.

Buffy watched him go. He was a weak man, a man complicit in the deaths of who knows how many others, no to mention the evil schemes of a truly horrible person. But he was also somebody who, ultimately, had wanted to help them before it was too late. He hadn’t deserved what happened to him the last time.

But then again, neither did Faith, there had been two victims that fateful night, and in a way two lives had ended.

 

Angel moved over to Buffy. “I’ll help him find his way back, and stake out the town hall in the process. See if I can get a sense of their security patterns, locate a weak spot. When you show, I’ll find you.”

 

Buffy gave him a nervous smile. “Be careful.”

 

Angel simply nodded and left in Finch’s footsteps.

 

Wesley gathered up Finch’s papers before speaking up in his most commanding tone. “Mr. Giles and I will see if we can’t uncover something more about this dedication, and what it could be regarding.”

Buffy watched as Wesley and Giles went into his office. She frowned; Giles had been a little too quiet, like his mind had been on other things. She thought about trying to get him alone and ask if he was okay, but there really wasn’t the time.

 

Xander looked over at Willow. “So, you burned a demon. You’re becoming quite the stellar witch there Will.”

 

“Technically, I boiled him.” Willow said glumly, “With an electrical thingy, not a fireball.”

 

Cordelia held up her hands. “Oh, please don’t mention the smell again, or the anything else about that story ever. I think you’ve put me off hot-tubs for the rest of my life.”

 

Xander looked upset at that. But Willow just shrugged. “Well, all I know is that I’ll never want to eat bacon again...or ever really, cause of the whole Jewish thing. But still, it was so horrible.”

 

Buffy gave her friend a comforting smile. “That’s the perils of field work there, Will.”

 

Oz stroked Willow’s shoulder. “And if it’s any consolation, the way you tell it, that demon guy sounded really rude.”

 

Xander nodded in agreement. “Yeah, like French rude. He so deserved to be fried.” He turned to Buffy, “So, Buffy. Tonight, what’s the plan of attack? D’you have any thoughts on stratagems or blueprints and stuff.”

 

“I do,” Buffy nodded and looked over at Willow. “How about it. You up for some juicy hacking to take your mind off of other things? We could do with you getting some blueprints from...”

 

Willow interrupted excitedly. “...From the water and power mainframe. I’ve hacked that before, it’s a sinch.” With that she moved over to her laptop and started to power it up, all her bad thoughts lost for the moment.

 

Buffy looked at Xander. “Okay, Xand, I need you to get together all your walkie -talkies from your Nighthawk days. We’re gonna need them for a coordinated strike.”

 

Xander stood up. “They’re back at my place. I’ll go fetch and slip into something a bit more commando-y while I’m there.”

 

Cordelia got up with him. “A lot more commando-y actually. You’re wearing a Snoopy shirt.”

 

Xander paused to think about it. “You could come with, help me pick something out. If you wanted.”

 

Cordelia smiled widely. “Okay.”

 

Buffy sighed and called after them. “Guys’ don’t be too long, okay.”

 

“We’ll be real quick.” Xander said. Cordelia raised an eyebrow at him, “Actually, forget I said that.”

 

Buffy watched them go before turning to Faith. “So, what do you think; me, you and Angel in a frontal assault, with the others, Giles, Willow and Xander, going in by the roof. Then they can disrupt this ritual thing before it gets going.”

 

Faith shrugged, seemingly a little distracted. “Sounds solid. ‘S long as I get to pound somethin’ I’m good.”With that she slid off the table and made her way over to the weapons locker.

 

But Buffy stepped in front of her and caught her eye. “Are you okay, any, uh, side-effects from the fight?”

 

Faith just shook her head.

 

Buffy smirked. “Then what’s up? Impending violence not doing it for you these days.”

 

Faith sighed. “It’s nothin’. It’s stupid...it’s The Rustic Inn.”

 

Buffy tried to follow. “The...Rustic Inn, is stupid? What did they ever do to you?”

 

Faith chuckled a little. “Nah, it’s just...today while you were out I called ‘em up. They’re out on the edge of town, great views, and private cabins near the woods. All snugly but kinda expensive.” Faith shrugged awkwardly, “Anyway, they had a free cabin...and, I guess, I booked it... for tonight. I thought, after Balthazar, we could, y’know, relax. Now that’s a bust.”

 

Buffy, pleased, smiled a little. “You booked somewhere for us, already?”

 

“What can I say blondie, you make an impression.”Faith shook her head, “Anyways, its stupid, what with all this evil stuff goin’ down. I guess that’s more important.”

 

Buffy thought about it. “Okay...so how about you go and phone these people up, you explain that you’re going to be arriving late, because car trouble or whatever, and that it’s going to be past midnight when you get there, but you will get there.” Then Buffy reached and took Faith’s hands, “They’ll understand if you call ahead. And they’ll save you the room. Then after all this is finished...we can celebrate and have a long Sunday.” Buffy looked up at Faith through her lashes.

 

Faith gave her a searching look before smiling widely. “You sure?”

 

“I’ll tell Mom I’m bunking at Willow’s and having a non-slaying day.” Buffy smiled at her. “And what can I say, you make an impression too.”

 

Faith grinned and quickly moved over to the book cage, seemingly energised. “In that case, I’ll get the weapons organised, thinkin’ nothing too fancy; plenty o’ stakes, holy water, crossbows for the Scooby’s. And maybe we can use Oz’s van as mass transport, all of us gettin there together, plus a quick getaway.” Faith turned and nodded determinedly, “this Mayor-guy isn’t gonna realise what hit him. Bank on it.”

 

Buffy blinked a little in surprise. She smiled, a little impressed. “Look at you, getting all commander-y.”

 

“Yeah, well, I’ve got the best motivation.”

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter end notes:

If you enjoyed , let me know.


Chapter Views: 1531




Please note: If you are using IE (particularly IE9) and having problems with the review form, try turning off text editor. Otherwise, try a different browser.