The Chosen Two Archive
A Buffy/Faith Fanfiction Community

The Chosen Two Archives

BROWSE BY:

Relationship [278]
Season [231]
Character
Genre

Archive Links:

Twitter
Awards
Tumblr
Links

Site Info

Members: 1536
Series: 20
Stories: 289
Chapters: 1550
Word count: 7908585
Authors: 58
Reviews: 2554
Reviewers: 156
Newest Member: elamanuela
 

Search





Apricity by aliceinwonderbra

[Reviews - 5]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Story notes:

*Please do not download, distribute, or post this story anywhere without my permission. That includes saving it and sharing it with others, even if you are not taking credit for writing it.*

Chapter notes:

A brief intermission before our regularly scheduled fuffy...

Totally unbeta'd. All errors are mine.

Réka Szabo is the only known person in history to kill a Bendek demon. She succumbs to her injuries four days later. Alejandra Ortiz Santiago runs into a burning church and rescues five Sunday Schoolers before she is trapped. India Cohen sacrifices her life to save the Watcher she’s in love with. Buffy Summers faces the Master, even knowing he is prophesied to kill her. The next slayer’s death is kind of a let down, as far as heroic exits go.

Kendra Young manages to completely total her car while driving home one night. She’s technically dead for about 20 seconds until the paramedics get her going again with defibrillators. (Actually she was on her way back from a late night run to Happy Burger, which was positively undignified, and she didn’t want anyone to know about it, but there are no secrets from the Watcher’s Council—especially not when those secrets entail a new slayer being called).

Faith Lehane studies the final entry in the latest volume of the slayer diaries, curling her lip. “This chick can’t even drive, and I’m supposed to learn how to slay from her?” She asks, her voice a whisper to keep the conversation private.

From the cramped airplane seat beside her, Diana Dormer gives her a withering look. “You did promise to be on your best behavior.”

Faith nods agreeably. “Sure did. Soon as we get to Sunnydale I’ll be a model slayer.” She grins at her long suffering Watcher. “You didn’t say anything about the plane ride.”

Dormer sighs. “Faith, I know you think you already know everything, and I’ll admit, you are an extremely quick study and you’re progressing very well.”

“But?” Faith frowns.

“But it’s only been a few weeks since you were called, and I think you should take advantage of this opportunity to observe someone who’s been at it a bit longer.”

Faith sits with this for a while, rolling it over in her mind. In truth, she probably would have made a crack about Kendra’s driving skills as soon as she could reasonably work it in to conversation. But when they walk through the door to the Sunnydale library, Faith’s speech capabilities disappear.

A group of people her age is cloistered at the table in the center in the library. The slight redhead is perched on the lap of a small guy with blue hair. A taller boy sits across from them, arguing animatedly with a gorgeous brunette. Faith’s eye passes by all of them, focusing on the figure standing behind the bickering couple. Her hip juts out, leaning against the railing to the stairs. Thick cornrows provide order to the long curly hair captured at the crown of her head. Dark eyes look back at Faith just as curiously, one eyebrow arched in the perfect image of attitude. Her tight abs are on display above a low slung belt. Faith’s pretty sure crop tops are out, but for the life of her, she can’t understand why.

“Ah,” says an older man, entering behind them, “Diana?”

Diana probably turns to look at the man, but Faith can’t quite stop her eyes from wandering. Rounded hips and strong thighs filling out the other girl’s green cargo pants. Bare expanse of smooth brown belly again.

“Faith,” Diana says, touching her elbow. “This is Mr. Giles.”

“Hi,” Faith answers distractedly, moving on to the soft curves of breasts under the tight gray tank. The softest looking mouth she’s ever seen.

“A pleasure to meet you,” the other watcher says.

The goddess at the stairs gives up on the staring contest first. Striding around the table, she approaches Faith and the watchers.

“Kendra,” Mr. Giles says, stepping around Faith’s seemingly frozen form. “This is Faith, the vampire slayer.”

The slayer’s smile is dazzling. “Faith,” she repeats, her accent thick, “hi.”

Faith’s mouth is dry. She nods in greeting, trying to keep her eyes focused on Kendra’s face. This is not an easy task.

Choosing to ignore Faith’s apparent inability to speak, Kendra steps closer, turning so they are both facing the people at the table. “These are Willow, Oz, Xander, and Cordelia.”

“Hey,” the group choruses.

Xander looks Faith over with interest. “So you’re the new slayer, huh?”

Now that she’s focused on something other than Kendra, Faith finds her power of speech returning. “That’s what they tell me,” she replies.

“Cool,” Willow chirps enthusiastically. “We thought there might be two, since Kendra’s heart technically stopped, but we weren’t sure.”

“Right,” Faith agrees, forcing her eyes over to the redhead.

“How long are you going to be in town?” Cordelia asks with a hint of malice in her tone. She drapes her arm around Xander’s shoulder possessively.

“Not really sure,” Faith answers.

“I’m sure you’ll love your stay,” Willow gushes. “Sunnydale’s very…”

“Hellmouthy,” her boyfriend, Oz, supplies. It’s the first time he’s spoken.

“Faith,” Diana calls from behind them, and the slayer turns to look at her. “I’m going to go with Mr. Giles back to his home to get our things settled. Would you like to come?”

“She can stay with me,” Kendra offers. “I have some training to finish.”

“Yes,” Giles agrees, “very good. We’ll expect you back for dinner then?”

Kendra nods in assent. The gang stays a while after the watchers depart, peppering Faith with enthusiastic questions. She doesn’t have much of a story yet, but she’s always had a flare for the dramatic. Willow and Xander are on the edge of their seats as she describes naked freestyle slaying.

Kendra listens politely, but when the library door swings shut behind the others, she lifts one perfect eyebrow at Faith. “Was any of that actually true?”

The corner of Faith’s mouth curls up, smirking. “Every word,” she says. “Cross my heart.” She traces an X slowly over her left breast. When Kendra’s eyes follow her fingers, Faith’s stomach tightens.

Kendra’s eyes flick away, and she moves to the weapons cage, trying to get their training back on track. This affords Faith a view from behind. Long, silky curls trickle down between her shoulder blades. Her short shirt leaves an expanse of flawless skin exposed. Faith’s gaze gets trapped in the dip of Kendra’s spine, moving at the pace of honey sliding free from a spoon. Kendra’s hips swell away from her waist, and Faith’s already picturing how they’ll look framed between her hands.

“Ready?” Kendra asks, turning before Faith has the chance to ogle her butt. She flashes a blade in Faith’s direction with a little smile. “I thought we’d start with knives.”

“Sure,” Faith says, grinning back. Knives are her favorite.

XXXXX

“Faith,” Kendra calls, knocking lightly on the door to the guest room Faith’s been set up in.

Faith swings the door inward, looking back at her expectantly. “What’s up?”

She’s been feeling a little flustered all afternoon, and Kendra’s not really sure why. Something about this slayer puts her on edge. “I’m going out for a while before patrol,” Kendra replies. “I thought you might want to go. See something other than cemeteries while you’re here.”

“Totally,” Faith agrees. “Do I need to get changed?” She gestures toward her form, and Kendra’s eyes follow her hand, unwittingly stopping in the vicinity of Faith’s prominently displayed cleavage.

“Uh,” Kendra says, reddening, “no. We’re going to a club, that’s good.”

“Great,” Faith says, smirking now. “I’ll just powder my nose, and I’m all yours.”

“Great,” Kendra echoes, turning to head back to her room. She can feel the other slayer’s eyes on her all the way up the hall.

XXXXX

Faith's sitting on the back of the couch, ignoring the disapproving look Willow's giving her dirty boots as they dig into the cushions. Xander's to her left, leaning away from her legs as he talks to Oz. Paying all of them no mind, Faith's eyes are glued to the dance floor. Kendra and Cordelia bounce to the music. The two of them move at roughly the same speed and style, but they look worlds apart.

Kendra's hips could put a coke bottle to shame. She's got the kind of curves Faith spent ages 11 through 14 waiting for, but they never quite sprouted up. The boobs filled in quite nicely if she does say so herself. Still, there's something about an hourglass silhouette that makes her tongue stick to the roof of her mouth.

Kendra loves to dance. It’s one of very few ways in which she lets herself unwind. The soothing bump of the rhythm, moving everyone together to the same beat. It reminds her of home, when she was a child and would dance with her little sisters while the old radio in the kitchen played. The years she lived with Zabuto were good ones; he taught her what being a slayer meant. But here in Sunnydale, she’s found friends, and a world outside of monsters and murder.  She’s found music again.

When the band ends their song, and the drummer begins to tap out a slower rhythm, Cordelia excuses herself. Kendra dances alone, her hips swaying along with the husky vocals being belted from on stage. The vocals are half breathing, half murmurs, the kind of hypnotic music Kendra loves to get lost in. She abruptly tunes back in when cool hands slide onto her arms from behind. Seizing the offending wrist, she turns, prepared to tell the guy to keep his hands to himself. Instead she finds Faith, cheeks flushed and eyes glittering in the dim light. Kendra doesn’t immediately release her wrist, and Faith twists in her grip, bringing their hands together. She places her other hand back on Kendra’s hip, stepping in closer to dance with her.

Kendra’s not unhappy about it exactly, but she has that weird teetering feeling again. There’s something about this girl…

Faith’s hand leaves hers, sliding up her arm to palm her neck. Faith leans back, her throat flashing white and exposed in the flickering lights. She sways, her legs parting around one of Kendra’s, hand tight on the other slayer’s neck as she dips further. Kendra’s hands find Faith’s waist, keeping her upright as they dance. Faith’s flimsy top slides easily aside, and her skin is hot under Kendra’s grip. Faith’s fingers curl in pleasure, her short nails scratching the nape of Kendra’s neck.

Faith arches her back, and then swings back upward, her hair covering her face momentarily. She shakes free, eyes dark and deep as she looks back at Kendra. Faith leans in close, her hands slinking across Kendra’s back, leg sliding upward as she pulls the other slayer in tighter. “I love this song,” she whispers, her lips just ghosting against Kendra’s earlobe for a moment.   

Faith doesn’t pull back, and Kendra’s eyes close without her noticing. Her head tilts toward Faith, inhaling as her nose sinks into the wild dark hair. She smells salty and a little sweet.

Faith’s eyes are open, watching her fingers clawing gently down Kendra’s back. Her chin slips down Kendra’s shoulder. Kendra’s hands dig into Faith’s hips.

From the corner of her eye, Faith notices Kendra’s friends making their way onto the dance floor. She lifts her head, taking a step back. “Hey, guys,” she calls, waving nonchalantly to them.

Kendra stiffens momentarily, relaxing when Willow and Oz join them without noticing anything amiss.

Faith adapts her dancing style to the group, swinging and swaying along with them. It’s almost like the moment between them never happened. But then Kendra glances at Faith, and she sees Faith staring back, that same intensity still in her eyes.

XXXXX

“Slow night,” Faith comments, as she follows Kendra through the park.

“Yes,” Kendra agrees.

Faith watches the other slayer. She’s stalking along, her posture rigid, body on full alert. She needs to loosen up, Faith thinks. “I’ve got an idea,” she announces.

That’s all the warning Kendra gets before Faith leaps sideways, attempting to tackle her to the ground. Kendra moves on reflex, turning toward the attacker, and flipping her easily over her shoulder.

Faith hits the ground hard, unable to move before Kendra drops on top of her, empty fist landing lightly on her chest.

“Dust,” Kendra says, pushing her air-stake down a little harder. “That all you got?”

It’s not. Faith seizes Kendra’s waist, fights the urge to drag her closer, and instead tosses her easily off. Kendra rolls to her feet, fists up and ready to engage.

After the third time she’s knocked flat on her back, Faith insists, “It’s because you’re letting me make the first move. Anyone can win when they’re just playing defense.”

“Okay then,” Kendra says, then drops to a one-legged crouch, her straight leg sweeping toward Faith’s knees. Faith jumps, executing a somersault and grabbing Kendra’s calf before she can retract it.

Faith’s yank sends her spinning, but Kendra evades the other slayer’s first attempt at a hit, and they begin circling one another.

Faith’s grinning like a fool, obviously enjoying herself immensely. Kendra can’t help it; she starts to smile too. She keeps smiling as she easily pins Faith again.

“Hmm,” Kendra says, faux thoughtfully, “it seems I beat you no matter who attacks first.” Her hands circle Faith’s wrist, holding them above her head.

“Again,” Faith demands, bumping her torso upward to nudge Kendra off. She only succeeds in straining her shoulders as Kendra keeps her hands locked down.

She holds her down another moment, just so Faith remembers who won, before releasing her wrists and standing up. Faith scrambles after her, and attacks with her usual wildness.

She gets a lucky pounce in, and lands on top for once. Faith takes a small bow from atop Kendra, grinning down at the glaring slayer. “Oh, don’t feel bad,” she teases, “I’m just younger and faster.”

“One pin out of five does not equal better,” Kendra scoffs.

Faith shrugs. “Let’s see you take me again then.”

Intent on taking this challenge, Kendra quickly sits up, palming Faith’s shoulders and shoving her backward.

Faith braces herself with her toes, refusing to be moved. She drops her shoulder, causing Kendra’s grip to slide off.

Kendra regroups, raising her hands to shove again, but before she can, Faith’s hands cup her neck.

It’s not the wrenching she expects, but rather a soft, exploratory grip. Faith tilts her jaw up, leaning in without hesitation. A quick warm press of her mouth leaves Kendra shocked.

Faith’s mouth is soft, and her ragged breathing is warm against Kendra’s nose. It’s the first kiss she’s ever had. In her experience, slaying doesn’t leave much time for dating. That’s not to say she hasn’t thought about it. She has. Extensively. But she never imagined it like this. She brings her hands tentatively to Faith’s forearms, squeezing them in encouragement.

Faith takes that encouragement and slides a little closer into Kendra’s lap. Powerful thighs frame her hips, and Kendra’s starting to get the hang of this now. She presses her mouth back against Faith’s clumsily, but the other slayer doesn’t seem to mind.

Faith makes a sound like mmmph in her throat, her fingers curling into the loose tendrils of Kendra’s ponytail. When Faith parts her lips, Kendra follows her lead. The younger slayer’s tongue tastes tart when it sweeps across hers. This is good. This is really good.

Then Faith pulls away, which is bad. Very bad. Kendra’s mouth forms a disappointed grumble without her consent, and her eyes snap open immediately, embarrassed.

Still straddling her legs, Faith grins down at her. “Air,” she murmurs, “kind of helps with the breathing.”

“Right,” Kendra says, surprised by the breathlessness in her own voice, “of course.”

“You still want that rematch?” Faith asks, looking completely at ease astride her. Her thumbs are rough as they trace the soft skin behind Kendra’s ears.

“I’ll take a raincheck,” Kendra replies, surprising herself with her own sauciness. Her face feels hot and she can’t quite catch her breath.

Faith smile is gentle. So are her hands as she cup Kendra’s cheeks, bringing their mouths back together. She swings her left leg across Kendra’s lap, landing easily on her side.

Kendra moves where she’s guided, her belly quivering under Faith’s firm palm, lips eagerly lifting to reach Faith’s. Kendra’s arm darts behind Faith, crushing her downward, half on Kendra, half in the wet grass.

Her knee digs into the dampness, but Faith doesn’t care. She looks down at Kendra. Her dark hair’s spread around beneath her, silver crossing dangling over her breasts, beautiful dark eyes staring up at her expectantly. “Gorgeous,” Faith mutters, her hand sliding up Kendra’s side, fitting to her neck again.

Kendra lights up under Faith, warmth coiling in her stomach. Her toes clench in her boots. Faith’s been jangling her nerves all day, and now she understands why. She clutches at Faith, hands sliding under her shirt and up her back. The weight of Faith in her arms is perfect. The cool grass snaking between Faith’s fingers to reach her neck is perfect. They fit together like they were made for this. It could be the virginity talking—the oh-my-God-I-am-kissing-someone terrifying amazingness—but she doesn’t think so. She senses there is something more happening here.

Whatever it is, she doesn’t want it to stop.

All traces of lipstick are gone when Faith’s spine starts to tingle. The slayers open their eyes simultaneously, scrambling apart and getting to their feet.

A newly risen vampire lurches toward them, hunger clear on his face. Faith takes the lead, seizing him by his shirt and tossing him toward Kendra. He manages to grab her shirt and yank as Kendra tosses him to his back.  Her boot keeps his face down, as she easily drops and sinks her stake into his heart.  As his dust disintegrates, Kendra hops to her feet and steps over the pile.

Walking to Kendra, Faith grins. “Vamps have no manners these days.”

Kendra’s heart beats a bit faster. “He could see we were occupied.”

The neck of her shirt is hopelessly stretched. It slides uselessly over Kendra's shoulder, and gravity halts it half way down her upper arm. Faith stares at that delicate curve of flesh--the soft, brown skin, the gentle jut of collarbone melting into rounded muscle--and bites the inside of her cheek. Kendra's huffing, aggravated that her shirt's destroyed, that such an ordinary vampire managed to do her damage, no matter how small. She reaches for the falling fabric, but Faith's hand takes her wrist, lightening fast reflexes halting her progress.

Kendra looks at Faith, her chin dipping unconsciously.

There's something so sweet about that look--Kendra's big brown eyes looking up at her through thick eyelashes. It makes Faith melt. She relaxes her grip on Kendra's wrist, her thumb sliding gently into the other girl's palm. She steps closer, putting her body behind Kendra's, and using her free hand, pushes Kendra's long hair free from her shoulder. Faith lowers her lips to Kendra's neck, as her hand slides around to press her belly backward.

Faith's flush against her back, and Kendra's eyes slipped closed, forgetting for a moment to be vigilant in case there are more. Faith's lips gently move down the curve of her neck, igniting a path of warmth on their way to Kendra's shoulder.

She presses her nose to the sweet-smelling skin, lips trembling like jello when they meet their target. Her breath is hot and quick against Kendra's bare skin.

Kendra's hand fumbles, finding Faith's thigh and gripping it. Her stomach is an ocean, wave after wave rolling through her. Faith's the shore she's reaching for, body melting bonelessly backward.

Faith's lips part, the very edge of her teeth pressing down. Kendra feels dizzy. “Let’s go home,” she suggests breathlessly. “No vamps.”

“Inviting me home already?” Faith teases, her lips still against the goosebumped skin of Kendra’s shoulder. “We just met.”

Kendra flushes, embarrassed. Her eyes open, and she starts to pull free.

“Hey,” Faith says softly, “don’t do that. I’m kidding.” Her arm tightens on Kendra’s waist, holding her in place.

Kendra nods, still feeling very exposed.

Faith seems to get it. She lets go, taking Kendra’s hand in hers. “Come on,” she says encouragingly, “take me home.” She tugs at Kendra’s hand, pulling her forward.

Kendra steps up beside her, lacing their fingers together tightly. Even their hands seem made to fit together.

At the park gate, Faith looks at her slyly. “Running would get us there faster.”

“This is crazy,” Kendra says, but her feet start running all the same. They need to get home faster. It’s been too long since Faith’s kissed her.

“Totally,” Faith calls back, as she darts alongside the other slayer. How many streets are in this damned town?

When the house comes into view, Faith eagerly races up the porch steps.

Kendra’s key is in her hand, but she nearly drops it when Faith’s hands snake around her waist, palming her stomach as her lips meet the back of Kendra’s neck.

Faith’s nose is buried in her long hair, fingertips climbing her ribs like a ladder.

Kendra turns the key. The door swings open and only Faith’s grip keeps her from falling in. Once she’s standing firmly on her own two feet again, Kendra reluctantly steps away. “I should tell Giles I’m back.”

Faith’s mouth droops, disappointed.

Kendra takes a step toward the stairs and then looks back at Faith, still standing in the dark foyer, hands now stuffed in her pockets as she watches Kendra walk away.

Giles is forgotten, as she practically hops across the space between them.

Faith doesn’t waste a moment; her hands are out of her pockets and gliding gently up Kendra’s forearms immediately. “I thought you had to check in with your watcher?”

In a very quiet voice, Kendra calls, “Mr. Giles, I’m home!” She widens her eyes. “I’m sure he heard that.”

Faith nods approvingly. “Kendra the Rebel, huh? Gonna stand your watcher up for little ‘ol me?”

Kendra flushes, but she manages to keep eye contact, as she says, “Only if you’ll be quiet now, and kiss me.”

Faith grins. That, she can do.


Chapter Views:




Please note: If you are using IE (particularly IE9) and having problems with the review form, try turning off text editor. Otherwise, try a different browser.