The Chosen Two Archive
A Buffy/Faith Fanfiction Community

The Chosen Two Archives

BROWSE BY:

Relationship [279]
Season [232]
Character
Genre

Archive Links:

Twitter
Awards
Tumblr
Links

Site Info

Members: 1539
Series: 20
Stories: 290
Chapters: 1551
Word count: 7910064
Authors: 59
Reviews: 2554
Reviewers: 156
Newest Member: evesock
 

Search





You Can't Hurry Love by Really-an-angel
[Reviews - 20]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Chapter Sixteen


 

Clutching a bottle of Jack Daniels, Faith weaved her way through the dark cemetery, in a foul mood and looking for a fight. She had been drinking for hours, dancing when the mood struck her, flirting when someone pretty caught her eye. That was until Buffy Summers popped into her head, taunting her, reminding her of their situation.

 

She'd been gone from the school for two weeks, but hadn't ventured very far away. When she first walked out of the school and started walking, she had planned on leaving Wiltshire, had planned on leaving the country, but reaching a pub, she'd gone in and propped up the bar for the rest of the night. That had been her routine ever since -- wake up, get drunk, dance, go home alone.

 

This evening, getting more and more worked up, the Slayer in her had demanded she go and fight the good fight.

 

"Goddamn Buffy! Thinks she's so much better than me. Goin' 'round and dishin' out orders like she's the big boss!" She tipped her head back, gulping down her drink of choice, the burn of alcohol sliding down her throat and settling warmly in her belly. "It's not my fault she got knocked up. She's the one who threw herself at me!"

 

Stopping to set her bottle on the top of a headstone, Faith pulled out her cigarettes, placed one between her lips and started hunting through her leather jacket for her lighter. "So, we have the greatest sex ever, all night long, able to keep up with each other, not afraid to do what we wanted and now she's knocked up. With my kid. Kids." She thought about that for a minute, letting it sink in a little further. "Which is the worst thing in the world for her, but..." finding her lighter, she sparked up, "...for me, it's kinda... good."

 

Taking a deep drag off her cigarette, she exhaled slowly. "I left. I just... packed a bag and left," Faith mumbled, strolling through the dark cemetery. "Why did I do that? Why do I always do that?" She blew out a ring of smoke, brown eyes watching it drift away. Survival, she answered her own question. "Shit!" she growled. "I shouldn't have just left, I should've... stayed with her."

 

"Too late for that now," a voice said from behind her.

 

The Slayer spun around to face a trio of vampires. "Didn't ask your opinion." She chucked away her half smoked cigarette and without making any more small talk, Faith swung a fist at the closest one, knocking the woman to the grass. She smirked at the two male vampires left standing. "Why is it that whenever I need to think over serious stuff, you vamps appear out of nowhere to ruin my alone time?" An upper-cut sent the vamp on her right flying over a headstone, leaving her with just the one on the left to deal with momentarily.

 

"What are you doing here, Slayer?" the remaining vampire growled. "We heard all you Slayers were living over in Wiltshire. Did you get lost?"

 

"A funny vampire, who would've guessed?" Faith launched a sequence of punches at the vampire, beating him back to where the woman was slowly getting to her feet. She watched in amusement as the two demons got tangled and both ended up on the ground in a heap. "Still no brains though."

 

The third vampire sneaked up on her and caught her by surprise with a blow to her ear. With the Slayer off-balance, the vampire took advantage, kicking and punching her with force.

 

Faith felt her lip split before she could get her bearings, could feel the trickle of blood dribbling down her chin. She watched the vamp's eerie yellow eyes glisten with pleasure as he caught the aroma of her blood in the air.

 

"Slayer blood," he rumbled, licking his lips. "I hear it's a delicacy that once you have it, nothing else will do!"

 

"A delicacy you'll never know," Faith replied, launching herself at him and staking him before he knew what was happening. She turned to see the other two getting to their feet. "One down, dumb and dumber to go." She waited for them to come to her, in no rush to finish the fight. She didn't really want to start thinking about Buffy, or the twins, or her responsibilities again.

 

"Think you can take us, Slayer?" the muscular male vampire taunted. "You seem to be circling."

 

"Just enjoyin' the moment."

 

"She seems distracted," the female vamp spoke up. "Maybe the other little Slayers don't want her in the pack and that's why she's in our town all alone."

 

"Is that it, Slayer? Does the Chosen One, the blonde..." he frowned. "What is her name anyway?" he glanced at his companion. "Bunny?"

 

"Bonnie?"

 

"Bessie?"

 

"Her name is Buffy," Faith growled. "Just because she thinks I'm worthless and no good, don't mean we don't have chemistry, you know?" She watched the two vampires circling her, ready to lash out as soon as one of them made a move. "We had the greatest sex ever," she declared, making them stop in their tracks. "She was hot for me and couldn't get enough! I gotta tell you, she has the hottest little body," she grinned and licked her lips. "All... tight and toned and... shit, now I'm horny."

 

"You and me both," the muscular vamp groaned.

 

Coming back to the present, Faith scowled and threw her stake at him. "That's my baby's mother you're fantasizin' about, dickhead!" He crumbled into dust, leaving her with one. Brown eyes turned on her. "Got anythin' to add?" She started laughing as the vamp turned and ran. "Not so brave when you're friends are all gone."

 

Faith ran after her, closing the gap between them, until she launched herself at the vamp's back, taking them both down to the ground. "Can't let you get away, chump."

 

"But... but I didn't do anything," the woman whined. "Not really."

 

Rolling her eyes, Faith took another stake from her pocket, staked the vampire and sank to the grass, sighing wearily. "Where the hell's my bottle of Jack?" She got up, wincing as her ribs protested, and looked around the cemetery, seeking out the bottle she was fairly sure she had left on top of a headstone.

 

She started walking back the way she had come, looking for the spot she had been in. Alone again, her thoughts quickly returned to a certain blonde. "She wouldn't even tell her friends about us!" she grumbled. "Now we're havin' a couple of kids together. How the hell are we gonna make things work? That's if they're even mine. Maybe she did sleep with someone else. Or... maybe they're... mini demons. No! No, come on!" she shouted, seeing the broken remains of her bottle of Jack Daniels. "I'm in pain here, I needed that!"

 

Huffing in annoyance, she reached into her pocket for her cigarettes and found the packet missing. "Oh, come on!" She glared up at the dark sky. "You're conspirin' against me!" She took a seat on a headstone, shoulders sagging in realisation. "I have to go back," she sighed out. "Even if B doesn't want me there, I have to go back. I have a job." She frowned. "I had a job. Maybe I still have it."

 

Feeling weary, a little drunk, and most definitely horny, Faith decided she was done for the night, and started moving towards the gates. "Fuckin' vamps! Turn up out of nowhere while a girl's tryin' to drown her sorrows and work shit out and what happens? They go and break a perfectly good bottle of Jack! I needed that, I've gotta go home and face Buffy and the Scoobs and all the girls I just abandoned."

 

Her hands slipped into her pockets, her cheeks puffing out as she sighed heavily. "I wonder if B's interested in a little... get together?" she wondered out loud. "I think I heard somewhere that pregnant chicks get all horny at one stage. Maybe I can work the old Faith charm on her." She snorted. "Probably just get a punch for my troubles!"


* * * *

 

 

She was aroused, her body growing hotter and hotter, her clit throbbing painfully, demanding attention immediately. A symptom of pregnancy, according to the latest baby book she was reading.

 

Buffy slipped a hand down her body, her gentle touch on her over-sensitive skin making her squirm and writhe. She thought that if she could just give herself some relief, she would be able to get to sleep. Just a small touch, a quick pinch, any slight contact on her sopping wet sex and she would be gone. Her hips jerked as her fingertips brushed through the soft curls of hair between her legs. Almost there... almost.

Someone knocked on her front door.

Oh, God, not now! she thought in frustration. Please go away. I don't ask for much, but just do this for me, she thought in despair, stilling her fingers and waiting to see if she was left alone. As whomever knocked again, Buffy growled in frustration and jump out of bed. She stormed out of her bedroom and through the living area to the front door, muttering angrily the whole way.

 

Yanking the door open, an angry scowl etched on her brow, she blinked as her gaze landed on Faith. Despite her annoyance, her eyes swept down the voluptuous body in front of her before she could stop herself. "So, you're back," she sniped, taken by surprise and not liking it. "Sticking around long?"

 

"Beeee," Faith grinned drunkenly.

 

Buffy caught the swaying brunette before Faith could fall to the floor. "Faith! You... have to stand up. I can't carry you," the blonde muttered, straining to keep hold of the other woman. "I'm pregnant, Faith, I can't..."

 

Faith stood up by herself, her eyes on Buffy, hands reaching out to touch soft skin. "Hi, Beeee."

 

Buffy couldn't help but be amused. "Hello, Faith. What are you doing here? It's late."

 

"I came back."

A drunk Faith on my doorstep. Perfect. Just perfect! "I can see that."

 

"I want you, Buffy. I don't care if you hate my guts. You..." Faith frowned as she tried to make her eyes focus. "That's my sweater!" she grinned happily, sticking out a finger to poke the top and managing to poke Buffy in the boob.

 

Buffy's eyes widened and she quickly slapped away the brunette's hand. "Faith! What?" She looked down, startled by the exclamation, and realised with horror she was wearing the sweater she'd grown so fond of. "No. No it's not. Why would it be yours?" she asked, all flustered.

 

Faith smirked in amusement. "I'm from Boston, I'm a Red Sox fan..."

 

"So am I," the blonde argued.

 

"Really?" Faith asked incredulously. "What sport do they play?"

 

"If you don't know, I'm not telling you!" Buffy scoffed, crossing her arms in annoyance.

 

Faith burst out laughing, nearly falling over as she swayed dangerously. "You swiped it from my place, didn't you? Now I've caught you wearing it, you're all embarrassed and don't wanna admit that you looove my aroma."

 

"God, you're so full of yourself!" Buffy huffed, annoyed that Faith had nailed it.

 

"We should go to a game if you're a fan," Faith said excitedly. "We... we can take the twins! Not now, when they... when they pop out."

 

"What are you doing back, Faith? Why are you knocking on my door at stupid o'clock? I don't want to see you. I'm mad at you."

 

Getting serious and suddenly focused, Faith reached out to caress the blonde's cheek. "You smell so fuckin' good and you feel so good and all I can think about is you. I tried to forget, but you kept poppin' into my head. I went slayin' and the vampires broke my whiskey and stole my cigarettes and I just knew I had to come back and tell you I want you, so I..."

 

Already worked up and deciding to throw caution to the wind for one night, Buffy jumped at Faith, hoping that even a drunk Faith would catch her, and wrapped her legs around the brunette's waist. "I don't want you. I barely like you most of the time. But right now... I want you to..." she lowered her head and licked Faith's ear lobe, "...fuck me."

 

Buffy's tongue was in her mouth, dancing over her own, soft moans of delight coming from the blonde and turning Faith on all the more. Desperately wanting to get to the bedroom, she stepped inside the cottage and kicked the door shut behind her. Without looking where she was going, hoping Buffy hadn't bought any new furniture while she had been gone, Faith headed in the direction of where she knew the bedroom was.

 

The elegantly decorated bedroom was illuminated by a single lamp, the bedcovers were rumpled and thrown back out of the way, telling Faith that Buffy had at the very least been in bed. "Did I wake you?" she asked softly, husky voice laced with concern.

 

"No, I... I was awake."

 

Faith set Buffy down on the edge of the bed and took the opportunity to look at her. Two weeks away had felt like an eternity. "You're so... beautiful, Buffy," she whispered, voice filled with awe. Crouching between Buffy's legs, Faith slid her palms up silky smooth legs, caressing toned calves and muscular thighs, before slipping beneath the sweater the blonde was wearing. Roaming higher, up past Buffy's hips, tracing her sides, she finally cupped Buffy's breasts.

 

Buffy gasped and arched her back, pressing her breasts more firmly into Faith's grasp, her taut nipples rubbing deliciously against callused palms. "Wait!" she gasped, eyes shut, enjoying the tender touch.

 

"We've fucked like rabbits, gone all night with each other, broke my bed in fact. It's too late to play the virgin, B."

 

"It's not that, it's... they're kinda sore and... sensitive."

 

Moving her fingers away from Buffy's breasts, Faith waited for Buffy's eyes to meet her own. "I'll be gentle, Buffy. You know I can be," she said, trailing kisses down the blonde's neck. "When I wanna be," she finished, nipping the smooth skin where she knew Buffy was sensitive.

 

"O--Okay."

 

Getting to her feet, she helped Buffy to stand, then carefully removed the blonde's sweater. She gently traced the swell of Buffy's heaving breasts, teasing rigid nipples, before gently cupping each mound in a hand.

 

"Oh, Faith!" Buffy moaned, biting her bottom lip to stop from crying out loudly at the pleasurable touch. Pulling Faith's head to her, she thrust her tongue into the brunette's mouth, feeling Faith's hands moving down her body now, down towards the pooch of her belly. As a palm covered her abdomen, Buffy broke the kiss and opened her eyes, watching Faith look down at her hand, lying where their babies were.

 

"It's really real," Faith murmured, moving her hand a little to cover the curve of Buffy's abdomen and seeing Buffy shiver from the touch.

 

"It's real, Faith," Buffy softly confirmed. "We're going to be parents."

 

"Lie down on the bed, Buffy. I want you so bad."

 

As a flood of desire seeped out of her, Buffy groaned and moved to lie down. She hungrily watched Faith strip, noticing a few cuts and bruises on her lover's torso. "Vamps?" she asked softly, not wanting to break the spell between them by being too loud.

 

"Mmm. Three of 'em." Faith got settled on the bed, hovering over Buffy. She lowered her head and kissed the blonde, her tongue sliding deep into the other Slayer's mouth, as her fingers slipped between parted legs and rubbed a hard and throbbing clit.

 

Buffy panted for breath as her thighs trembled, her inner walls clenching. She was close already, everything she felt heightened, her body sensitive to every touch. Writhing and pumping her hips, she felt Faith slip a finger inside her and cried out at the added stimulation, her inner walls tightening around the invading digit. "Oh! God, Faith! I'm... I'm...!" she cried out, breaking their heated kiss.

 

"Let go, Buffy," Faith murmured, desperate to see the blonde come, wanting to see it, to feel it. "I got you, babe. Just let go." She nibbled at the sensitive spot on Buffy's neck and felt Buffy shudder strongly.

 

Eyes slamming shut, Buffy trembled powerfully as she came hard, Faith's fingers not letting up, still stroking her clit, a lone finger still pumping in and out of her. "OH... GOD!" Her hips slowly sank back down to the mattress as her pleasure passed, her chest heaving as she tried to catch her breath, body shaking as it tried to deal with the experience.

 

Faith didn't stop for a moment, hungry for the older woman in ways she couldn't explain. Slipping her finger from Buffy, the dark-haired Slayer kissed her way down the blonde's body, careful when she reached her sensitive chest. Settling herself between Buffy's spread legs, Faith inhaled deeply, taking in her lover's scent and licked her lips in anticipation. "I wanna taste you so bad," she growled huskily.

 

"FAITH!" Buffy cried out as Faith's soft, hot tongue slowly lapped at her aching sex.

 

Faith slowly lapped up and down, feeling the blonde shuddering beneath her touch. She felt a hand find the back of her head, fingers curling tightly into her loose locks. "You taste so good, B. I could do this all night."

 

Buffy whimpered and moaned, squirming in pleasure as the teasing touch drove her crazy. "That feels so... so good!" she panted, voice husky from her earlier shouting.

 

"So you don't want me to stop?"

 

"NO!" Buffy cried out. "Don't you dare!" She tightened her hold on Faith's head and moaned, as Faith slid two fingers into her heated centre, racing towards another orgasm. "Oh... God... don't stop!"

 

"Had no intention of doin' so, baby," Faith whispered, grinning against Buffy.


* * * *

 

 

Down on her knees in front of the toilet, one hand holding back her hair, Buffy threw up again. She was used to this ritual now. She didn't like it, but she was used to it.

 

A gentle hand was suddenly on her back, startling her as it rubbed softly, offering comfort. Realising who that hand belonged to, Buffy moaned unhappily, annoyed with herself for letting the previous night's encounter happen. "I hate you!" she groaned pitifully, before heaving violently again.

 

Finally the spasms stopped and after flushing the toilet, she was pulled back into open arms, a cold flannel wiping her mouth tenderly.

 

"Are you always this sick?" Faith asked softly, brow creased in concern. She hadn't witnessed Buffy being sick before and this morning, she'd been taken by surprise when she was woken by the blonde hurrying out of her embrace to get to the bathroom.

 

Moaning as another wave of nausea rolled through her, Buffy moved out of Faith's arms and leaned over the toilet again. "I don't know why they call it morning sickness. I've suffered morning, noon and night sickness," she replied. "Though it is easing now." Her eyes filled with tears. "Or it should be!" She started sobbing, looking at Faith with an expression laced with hatred and blame. "This is... all your fault!"

 

Pulling Buffy back into her arms, Faith murmured softly into her ear, as she tried to soothe the blonde. "I can't believe Giles never warned us about this type of demon. Can you imagine if Xander had been out on patrol with us and ended up knocked up? How the hell would we explain that?"

 

Buffy laughed. "How would he deliver?"

 

"Eww, really don't wanna think about it, B!" Faith chuckled.

 

"I don't see why I have to be the pregnant one," Buffy complained. "Why weren't you the one to get knocked up?"

 

"You're the original Chosen One," Faith said simply.

 

"Yeah, but you replaced me!" She frowned. "Actually, Kendra replaced me, but you came after. This is your destiny, not mine!"

 

Faith laughed. "I don't know the how's or why's, but I'm glad it ain't me goin' through it."

 

"I... think it's passed now," the blonde sniffed, moving out of Faith's arms again. She got to her feet and walked over to the sink to brush her teeth, feeling Faith's eyes on her. "Why did you come back, Faith?"

 

Getting up from the floor, Faith took a seat on the edge of the Jacuzzi tub. "I don't want to end up how people said I would," she confessed. "Dead, alone, or a loser. Sure, this was... unexpected, but... I told you, I want more than just a quick fuck every now and then. I want the whole package. You just have to give me a chance."

 

"A chance! Faith, you left! The first opportunity you got, the first hurdle that came up, you left!"

 

"I know, but I came back, didn't I?"

 

"For how long?" Buffy murmured under her breath, knowing Faith probably heard her anyway. She squirted toothpaste onto her brush.

 

"Look, I'll admit I don't know anything about being a parent. My mother wasn't the best example. I'm a fuck up, I drink, smoke and swear far too much..."

 

"Not selling yourself to me here, Faith!"

 

"Just trying to be honest, B. I'm laying it all out there."

 

Buffy sighed heavily. "I don't expect anything from you, Faith. I know you don't do relationships, I know you run when you get freaked out and scared. So fine, you'll be here until one day you're not. You'll be a part of our children's lives until one day you decide this life isn't for you. And I'll pick up the pieces." She started brushing her teeth, eyes locked on Faith's via the mirror in front of her. "Like I always have to," she finished, after spitting.

 

Faith looked down, doing her best to look at anything and everything except Buffy. She hated that Buffy had doubts about her, but it was the truth. She didn't like to be tied down, or cooped up. She liked her freedom, she liked doing what she wanted, when she wanted. But, she had come to realise she was in love with Buffy.

 

She had been trying to convince the blonde she had changed, that she could do a real relationship, and now, with twins on the way, their twins, she was all the more determined to be with Buffy, to be a proper family, to give their children a proper childhood. Something she hadn't had.

 

After Buffy finished brushing her teeth, Faith followed her out of the bathroom and back into the bedroom. "So, you're somehow pregnant with..." she frowned, suddenly unsure of herself. "Do you uhh... I mean, are they... ours?" she looked into green eyes, seeking the truth. "Before I try to sort this all out in my head, I... I have to know if... are they human?"

 

Buffy blinked, having forgotten Faith wasn't around when she found out. "Yeah," she nodded. "I had an ultrasound the other day." She smiled and ran a hand over her abdomen. "Two human babies growing inside."

 

Faith let out a shuddering breath, the truth startling, even though they had suspected the twins was theirs. "And are you uhm... keeping 'em?"

 

"I'm keeping them," Buffy nodded. "They're not demons, they're little people. Little people created from each of us."

 

"I'm not going anywhere, B," Faith insisted. "I had a mini freak out, but now I'm back and I plan on being a part of our kids' lives."

 

"I guess time will tell, Faith. Right now, all I'm hearing are words."

 

"Well, now that you're gonna give me a chance..."

 

"Whoa! Hold on," Buffy turned to face the brunette. "Who said anything about me giving you a chance?"

 

Faith replaced the sting of pain with anger. "Last night. What was that about?" she growled.

 

"Last night shouldn't have happened. But, I'm pregnant and get super horny at the drop of a hat. You turned up on my doorstep after a big fight and we all know what slaying does to you," Buffy replied. "It was just sex, Faith. It doesn't mean anything. Get some, get gone. What can I say, it's a good philosophy."

 

"Are you shitting me?" Faith shouted. "You give me all this grief about not doing relationships, but here I am offering it to you, Buffy! And you're throwing it back in my face!"

 

"I know you, Faith. I know you sleep around and run when things get too hard. I am not going to hand over my heart just because you're here telling me you've changed!" Buffy snapped. "I have babies to think about now. I have to do what's best for all of us."

 

"I've changed, Buffy! A relationship takes two people, I'm willing to try, but are you? You're the one who wouldn't tell your friends about us!"

 

"What's to tell?" Buffy scoffed.

 

"You know what? Screw you, Buffy. I'm here when you want to grow up and try a grown up relationship." She waited, hoping for a response from the blonde, a positive response. Not getting an answer, she walked out of the bedroom, only to stop when Buffy called out her name. Heart galloping with hope, she headed back to the doorway and looked in at the blonde, who hadn't moved.

 

"Giles will want to see you now that you're back," Buffy said quietly, not looking directly at Faith. "I think he has questions about the demon attack."

 

Hoping fading, Faith's shoulders dropped. "Did G-man find out how all this happened?" she asked, curious.

 

"We uhh... interrupted the mating ritual. Giles thinks we got blood on us, which passed the ability to procreate onto us."

 

Faith's face scrunched up in disgust. "Oh. Damn, that's... kinda gross."

 

"Mm-hmm," Buffy agreed.

 

"All right, I'll stop in and see him later. It's kinda early yet." She waited for Buffy to say something, anything, but when nothing more came, her shoulders slumped and she resigned herself to leaving. "All right then, see you later."

 

"I uhm... I have a picture, if you wanna... see it," Buffy called out, suddenly wanting to prolong their time together.

 

Faith blinked at the blonde, swallowing hard, as she thought it over. "Uhh... yeah. Sure." She watched Buffy turn to her bedside cabinet and pick something up, her belly flip-flopping with nerves as the realisation that she really was going to be a parent hit her.

 

Clutching the picture in one hand, Buffy walked over to Faith, who was hovering in the doorway. She looks like she wants to run! she thought morosely. Sighing, she handed the picture over. "Hazal said she couldn't see what sex they are."

 

"Hazal?"

 

"New obstetrician. Willow took her on to help out with my pregnancy."

 

"Oh. Makes sense."

 

"Apparently, a Slayer's pregnancy happens quicker than a normal woman's," Buffy explained, rubbing her hand nervously. "A lot of them give birth within five or six months."

 

"Seriously? Wow. So, uhh... how long do we have?"

 

"I'm around twelve weeks now, so... a few months, I think."

 

Faith couldn't stop looking at the photo she held, the two lives they had created, the babies that were going to be their responsibility for the rest of their lives. She let out a tremulous breath. Shit, how can I be expected to do the right thing for these kids? I'll probably just fuck up their lives. "I... don't know if I can do this," she murmured quietly, not aware she had spoken aloud.

 

"You think I'm happy about this?" Buffy snapped, suddenly furious. "It's all right for you! You swanned off for two weeks, drinking, sleeping around, doing as you pleased!"

 

"I didn't sleep around," Faith interjected, wanting that fact known.

 

"I didn't run when I found out! I didn't run from my responsibilities no matter how much I wanted to! God, you're so selfish, Faith!" She snatched the picture out of Faith's hand and stomped away from the brunette. "I am mystically knocked up! Do you have any idea what I've been going through? I didn't even know if they were human until the other day!"

 

"B, I'm..."

 

"I'm not happy about this whole situation!" Buffy yelled. "Sleeping with you! Having your baby! Going through the pregnancy rapidly! It's too much! It's all too much! And if I could go back in time I'd undo it all!"

 

The words hurt. They hurt a lot. She felt the crush of rejection, saw the look in Buffy's eyes, and felt her heart break a little more. "I've changed, B," Faith said softly. "Before all this happened, we were starting to build... something. I'm gonna go now, give you some space. But... I'm not leaving again. I'm gonna be here for you, whenever you need me, whenever they need me," she pointed at the blonde's belly. She left without another word, knowing their conversation that morning had done more damage than good.


* * * *

 

 

 

After showering and dressing in clean clothes, Faith headed to her office, having some time to kill until everyone else woke up. She had looked around, not seeing anything disturbed or out of place. It seemed no one had been into the room since she had left.

 

She took a seat behind her desk and ran her hands over the surface. She'd been proud of this space, proud of the job she had been entrusted with. She just hoped Willow hadn't decided to fire her, or replace her.

 

That had been an hour ago, and now, despite hearing people walking around, the sounds of conversation drifting to her, she still made no move to get up.

 

"You're back."

 

Faith looked up at the doorway, seeing a pissed off Monica. "Hi, kiddo."

 

"Planning on staying this time?"

 

"You know, you're the second person to ask me that in a matter of hours," Faith grinned. That slipped when Monica just glared back. "How are you?"

 

"You left," the teenager replied, arms crossed, her stance defiant.

 

Faith sighed, seeing a lot of her younger self in the girl in front of her. "Come on, Monica. Let's talk like adults. You're obviously upset by what I did."

 

Monica stepped into the office. "I don't care. Why would I give a shit?"

 

"You tell me. You're the one standing at my door looking all hurt, acting all hurt and cheated. And don't swear." Brown eyes watched the raven-haired teen walk further into the room and sit down opposite the desk. "I left without a word. I had to leave."

 

"Because Buffy's pregnant?"

 

Faith frowned. "You know about that?"

 

"I hear things," Monica said defensively. "There's been gossip, she's been sick..." she trailed off, knowing the truth because she'd heard it from Buffy herself. "She shouted it out in the library."

 

"Oh. Right, you were there."

 

"You look like shit, what happened to your lip?"

 

Faith smirked. "Some vamp got in a lucky hit. You swear one more time, I'm gonna have to give you detention or somethin'."

 

Monica snorted. "Did leaving help?"

 

"Not really." Faith looked at the teen, wondering if her leaving had destroyed the trust they had built. "I suppose it's all over the school then?" she asked, looking down at her fingers. "News about Buffy's pregnancy?"

 

Monica shook her head. "The girls who were in the library and overheard the news were asked to Miss. Rosenberg's office and Buffy asked us to keep quiet. She said she wasn't sure what the deal was and didn't want people knowing she might be pregnant until she had some concrete answers." The teenager frowned. "How could she not know if she was pregnant or not? How can it be yours? Are you two... dating?"

 

Faith sighed heavily. "It's complicated, Monica. I can't say anything."

 

"She is pregnant, isn't she? She's... got a little belly growth going on, you know?"

 

"How are you? Truthfully?" Faith asked, not answering the question. She watched Monica shrug. "It bothers you that I left," she stated. "Is there something you need to talk to me about?"

 

"You wish," Monica huffed. She folded her arms defensively. "I started trusting you, opening up, then you were gone. Without a word."

 

"I do that. I run. I didn't think anyone would give a damn, but that was dumb," Faith said honestly. "I'm sorry for not being here."

 

Monica shifted in her seat, eyes down, avoiding Faith's penetrating gaze. "Are you going to stick around from now on?" She looked up as the older woman sighed heavily again.

 

"I'm gonna try my best. With Buffy..." she paused, just stopping herself from blurting the truth out. "I want to be around, you know?"

 

"Does she know you're back?"

 

"Not that it's any of your business, kid, but yeah, she knows I'm back."

 

"Miss Rosenberg changed my schedule," Monica confessed. "I have to do the basics required by law, but other than that I can concentrate on the things I love."

 

Faith smiled. "I'm glad she came through for you."

 

Monica nodded as she got to her feet. "I better get going. I don't want to miss out on the good stuff served up for breakfast."

 

"Right. Okay."

 

"See ya."

 

Faith watched Monica leave, swallowing hard as her gaze locked with Kennedy's, the younger woman walking past her open doorway. "How you doin', Ken-doll?"

 

Kennedy walked into the office, shaking her head in disbelief. "Where the hell did you run off to, Faith? You didn't say a word to anyone! Not a Goddamn word!"

 

"I know and I'm sorry, but I had to get away, I had to clear my head. It was too much to take in and I did what I always do."

 

Kennedy took the seat Monica had just vacated. "Jesus, I can't believe you're back! Does Buffy know?"

 

Faith nodded. "I got back last night and went straight to see her."

 

"She beat you up? You ain't looking too hot, Faith."

 

"Nah," the brunette grinned. "Went out patrolling and bumped into some vamps."

 

"I can't imagine Buffy was happy to see you. Was she?"

 

"Uhh..." Can't tell her B jumped me, don't think Buffy would appreciate that. "I was drunk. Don't really remember her reaction," she lied with ease.

 

Kennedy laughed out loud. "Damn, Faith. What are we gonna do with you?"

 

Faith grinned and shrugged. "So, what have I missed around here? Anything major happen?"

 

"Buffy having mood swings from hell!" Kennedy chuckled. "She got all blotchy, was running to the toilet every five minutes, started crying for no apparent reason... fingers crossed all that's behind us now!"

 

Faith felt a pang of guilt for not being around for Buffy. "What about school stuff?"

 

"Blair Caruso has become a pain in the arse! There's been a fight or two. Oh, and me and Will started planning our engagement party."

 

"So, nothing important then," Faith grinned. "Do I uhh... do I still have a job?"

 

Kennedy puffed out her cheeks. "I don't know, Faith. My girl handles that side of things, you'll have to ask her."

 

"Has she hired anyone new?"

 

"No."

 

"Listen, I'd love to stay here and chat some more, Kenny, but I've gotta track down Giles. Apparently he wants to see me. Don't suppose you know where I can find him?"

 

"It's Saturday, I imagine he's over at his cottage. If not, maybe in the library."

 

"All right, thanks. I'll catch up with you later if you're free."

 

"You better. I'm still pissed that you took off, Lehane!" Smiling to soften her words, Kennedy got to her feet and left the office with Faith. "I'm teaching a weapons class in a couple of hours. Come find me then and you can give me a hand."

 

"Sure thing, Kennedy. See you later." Locking her office door, Faith walked along the corridor. Her steps faltered as she thought over what was about to happen. Coffee. I need coffee first, before dealing with countless questions from Giles. Changing direction, she headed for the kitchen.

 

Unfortunately, she didn't have the kitchen to herself like she had hoped. Because it was the weekend, she had figured everyone would have a lie-in. She usually did. She found Rosalie, Gena Roffe and Andrew seated at the small kitchen table when she walked in and was spotted before she could turn and make her escape.

 

"Faith!" Gena exclaimed, wide-eyed. "You're back!"

 

"That I am," Faith smiled, heading straight for the coffee machine. "And before you ask, yes, Buffy knows I'm back."

 

"Oh. That's... good," the doctor nodded, so taken by surprise, she wasn't sure what to say.

 

"What you doing up so early, doc?"

 

"I uhh... just got off the night shift."

 

"Have you spoken to Buffy?" Rosalie asked.

 

Pouring herself a cup of coffee, Faith picked up the mug and walked over to the fridge for milk. "A little."

 

"Has she told you about the twins then?" Gena asked. "You know, being human?"

 

"She did." Faith frowned as she shut the fridge door and saw a long list of foods taped up. "What's this, Andy? Shopping list?"

 

"Things that are good for Buffy to eat," the school cook explained. "The list written in red are foods she should avoid," he added.

 

"Wow. Bet she doesn't like that." Faith walked over to join the trio at the table. "Being told what to eat. She never was one for orders."

 

"She understands that it's good for her and the twins in the long run," Gena said, picking up her mug. "It's not like its forever." She took a sip of her beverage.

 

"It comes down to what she can stomach," Andrew said. "She asked me for scrambled egg on toast, only to hand it back uneaten because the smell of it made her feel ill."

 

Glancing over at the clock on the wall and seeing it was a more decent hour now, Faith knew she should get on with meeting Giles. "I better go find Giles," she sighed, standing up. "Have any of you seen him this morning?"

 

"It's Saturday, Faith," Rosalie said. "I'd imagine he's in his cottage." She looked around the table. "Surely?"

 

Faith smirked. "You obviously don't know the G-man well enough."

 

"If you're going anywhere near Buffy, I wouldn't take that coffee with you," Gena warned. "The aroma of coffee has her running for the bathroom these days."

 

"Is it... normal for someone to throw up so much?" Faith asked, remembering Buffy running for the bathroom that morning.

 

Gena nodded. "It's all part of pregnancy. Granted, poor Buffy is suffering all day. Some women are barely sick at all. It should pass soon, she's nearly into her second trimester."

 

Faith didn't know what that meant, but nodded anyway. "I'll catch you later, guys," she said, leaving her mug on the table and walking out as they said goodbye. There's so much I don't know, she thought, heading towards the library. Maybe there's a book on this stuff? I'll have to look into later. Turning a corner, she smacked into Willow. Reaching out, she quickly steadied the redhead. "Hey, Red. Sorry about that."

 

"Faith!" Willow squeaked. "You're back!"

 

"Yeah. Do I still have a job?"

 

"I... uhm... I have to go." Willow moved around Faith, knowing she had to find Buffy.

 

"Okay, I'll come find you later."

 

"Sure, okay."

 

Left alone once again, Faith didn't know how to feel about Willow avoiding her question. Exhaling heavily, she carried on in her journey to find Giles.

 


Continued....

 

 

 

 


Chapter Views: 1329




Please note: If you are using IE (particularly IE9) and having problems with the review form, try turning off text editor. Otherwise, try a different browser.