The Chosen Two Archive
A Buffy/Faith Fanfiction Community

The Chosen Two Archives

BROWSE BY:

Relationship [279]
Season [232]
Character
Genre

Archive Links:

Twitter
Awards
Tumblr
Links

Site Info

Members: 1539
Series: 20
Stories: 290
Chapters: 1551
Word count: 7910064
Authors: 59
Reviews: 2554
Reviewers: 156
Newest Member: evesock
 

Search





Find Me First by SixteenThirty

[Reviews - 42]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +

There is one I can sense...

 

I smile at the recent memory of the hot water trickling down my back from the shower head. I never get tired of Willow's shower, in fact I love it so much I got the same one installed at my place.

 

Moving to England wasn't a hard decision, Dawn wanted to travel abroad and I wanted something to change in my life.

 

After we said Sayonara to Sunnydale we all took time off. For six months everyone went their separate ways and just experienced the world from a recreational stand point. Xander went to Disneyland in Paris with Andrew, Willow disappeared with Kennedy to Morocco, Dawn and I experienced Rome, Faith went back to Los Angeles to visit Angel...

 

Well, everyone except Giles. Oh yeah, Mr. Watcher Man had to keep working.

 

When Dawn and I finally moved into our apartment a year ago all the gang were there to help. Giles and Xander were in shifting wardrobes while Willow and Kennedy were arranging ornaments.

 

Faith had arrived late with Andrew complaining how he'd taken forever picking flowers for our new Welcome To Your New Home dining table centre piece.

 

The arrangement looked like an American flag. It was really thoughtful. Andrew had selected red, white and blue roses and used baby's breath for the stars.

 

He said it was to coincide with the English rose theme.

 

That day was the first time I met Richard, Giles' totally hot nephew. We hit it off right away, especially as he fixed the faulty plumbing.

 

You'd be right to assume there was a wet t-shirt situation. As soon as I turned the faucet on the kitchen sink, up came the water works.

 

Rich was the perfect gentleman, averting his eyes while taking off his plaid button down shirt so I could cover myself to quickly run past the others then upstairs and get changed outta my soaked clothes properly.

 

We started dating from then. I had to get away from that 'bad boy' thing. There's no good there. Six months of blushing, hand holding, long walks and kissing followed. Now we're into the fourth month of break-up so far.

 

After everyone had left that first day I went to bed only to find a surprise gift waiting for me on my pillow. A single red rose in full bloom. Richard never admitted to putting the flower there, but I guess it must've been an English courting custom...

 

"Will you be ready, Buffy?" A stern male voice shook me out of my little skip down memory lane.

 

"Huh? I was... I'm that... Whatever you just said I agree." Leaning over to my right I whisper to Xander, "What am I agreeing to?"

 

Before the pirate could open his mouth fully to answer Giles continues, "So glad to have you with us again."

 

'Colour me blushed.'

 

"Well sometimes I need some alone time."

 

"In a room full of people?" He responds with a tone of disbelief in his voice.

 

I shrug.

 

"Now that I have rapt attention..." My father figure continues while leaning on the front of his desk.

 

Yeah, my mind was somewhere else and yeah I just got busted.

 

Typical.'

 

I watch Giles for a few moments then my gaze wonders across to Faith who's perched on the large windowsill. She's paying attention like a good little Slayer, well that's before she tilts her head toward me.

 

"As you know there are a great many young women that are in need of our care. This training facility, more importantly this school is the best place for them to learn about who they are..."

 

Faith winks at me knowing that I don't have the attention span I used to. It's true I don't. It's like Faith and I have switched on this front. She's so much more focused now.

 

"...one of the best ideas Buffy's had yet."

 

"I agree." I answer quickly looking away from the brunette. I nod enthusiastically as if I hearing every word the elder gentleman is saying.

 

He takes off his glasses, the way he's rubbing the bridge of his nose tells me I didn't need to respond at all. Worst yet I interrupted him.

 

"Ms. Summers has demonstrated the need to teach these girls focus throughout the active listening aspects of their lives." Giles continues.

 

Xander cupped his hands behind his ears and wiggles in his seat at this huge research table we're sat at. Willow pulls his arms down, "Not the time, Xand."

 

I awkwardly bend the corners of my mouth before slouching in my luxurious leather armchair.

 

"We require a team to go to Prague to investigate a new threat to the population. We need to check on the new Slayers there. People have been going missing."

 

Faith nods her head at Giles. "What happened to the cops?"

 

"There have been reports of ghost sightings." Dawn fills in from her spot beside Giles' large oak desk, "People being visited by their dead."

 

"So no cops then. Sounds like an encounter session to me." Faith leans back on the ledge.

 

"Their recently departed." Dawn recounts the police report sitting on the desk in front of her.

 

"Sounds like our friends that sleep all day and have no tans." Xander comments.

 

"Typical." I huff out before I can stop myself, "Sorry I just mean, they're always feeding off people leaving a non body trail behind them. Missing persons look suspicious when there's a lot persons missing."

 

"She has a point, yo'." Faith looks at me from across the research table. "Sounds like the fang gang are trying to build a rival army."

 

"That's bad. We stop that, ya?" Xander asks.

 

"We do. I propose we send a small team to recon the situation. On their findings we'll act. Buffy will be ready once they return to liaise with the team leader and form a direct course of action."

 

"I agree." Solidly, now knowing that that was what Giles was talking about earlier. "Who's the designated driver?" I ask wanting to note who I need to brief.

 

"Faith..." Giles replies.

 

'Typical.'

 

"Its not a tough mission, but I need to know it'll be handled correctly." He tells me before turning to the newly appointed team leader. "This is a good opportunity to get some of the girls out into the field. Only the ones who've been here the longest and shown the most growth."

"Like, a field trip for the scholars? I dig that." A smile breaks out on Faith's face and her eyes light up. "I get to pick though, can't have any fuck ups out there."

 

"As you wish. Work with Buffy on forming your gang. You and five others are to leave tomorrow night."

 

All matters pertaining to mission delegations, teams, plans and such fall to me to have the final say.

 

'That's right, I got it like that. Holla back.'

 

Faith nods at Giles accepting her mission.

 

"I've got reports from the police and witnesses out there. There's a couple of detailed bloggers writing some pretty accurate stuff. I think you should take a look before you head out." Dawn gathers her papers into a leather bound folder with a snap binding.

 

"Drop it all in my office and I'll pick it up in the morning." The dark Slayer suggests.

 

"You need to read this stuff, not just hold it to make yourself look important." She insists with a disapproving glare.

 

"I don't do that."

 

"Not anymore anyhow." Kennedy adds from her spot by the bookcase behind Willow. She used to copy everything Faith did. For months she hero-worshipped at the alter of Lehane. It got so bad that Faith started threatening to chop her hands off if she took her hot pocket again.

 

She threw such an Andrew hissy fit that afternoon. Of course it stopped being funny when I had to restrain the angered Slayer from beating Kennedy with a giant foam finger.

 

'Don't ask.'

 

"I'll read it. Damn, D." The brunette extends her hand and receives the notes from my sister. Dawn can be as persuasive as me when she wants to be. Must be a Summers thing.

 

"Xander we'll need you to run the communications link on this one. Teach Andrew how to do things without breaking into a mini Madonna concert." Giles requests before taking his seat behind his desk.

 

"I think it's the headset I make him wear." Xander confesses.

 

"Upgrade him." Willow nudges her male best friend.

 

"Upgrade him? Are you serious? I'll have the guy singing Beyoncè in my ear all week." Xander shakes his head and shivers at the mental image he just got, "I'll find another way to replace the headset with an ear piece."

 

"At least he's stopped singing that 'Is It Love' track by Donna Summer. Dude couldn't shut up when he found out you and Renee had finally hooked up." Faith pointed at Xander with Dawn's folder.

 

"That was a trying time for everyone." Giles adds with a small smile on his face.

 

"I'll work a little protection mojo. Keep our girls safe." Willow twirls her fingers in the air and I expect to see a little light display, but nothing happens. She's more careful with her use of magic now.

 

'Everyone seems to have matured.'

 

"Don't forget Faith, your on patrol tonight so no flying ninja kicks. I need you in one piece for the Prague mission." Giles orders.

 

"I twisted my ankle one time, shit! You'll never let me live that down will ya?"

 

"Faith, my car isn't an attacking demon."

 

"For real, but the soda can on the roof was a primo target for training."

 

Giles sighs deeply before dismissing us from his office. "You have classes to teach. Go away."

 

We all file out talking amongst ourselves. Xander is the first to leave, mumbling about a way to also tune out the show tunes coming from Andrew as he walks past. Willow heads out with Dawn and Kennedy, off to the Grand Hall for Magic 1.01.

 

"Read the file. I'll quiz you later." Dawn calls over her shoulder to Faith.

 

"Seriously, D. I got this." The brunette and my sister exchange playful smiles. They both know Dawn will spring a pop quiz before they leave tomorrow.

 

Faith and I are the last to leave as we stalk down the corridor in the general direction of the Armoury. "You wanna be in my gang?" The born Slayer winks at me with a smirk firmly planted on her lips.

 

"I'm the leader of your gang, I am." I reply attempting to leave Faith standing with a deep chuckle in her throat.

 

'And these boots were made for walking.'

 

I walk off down the opposite corridor with a smile on my face.

 

"In make-believe land, maybe." I hear Faith wheeze out through her laughter. "Hey, B. You on patrol later?"

 

I stop walking and turn slightly to face my sister Slayer, "Yeah, why?"

 

"You gotta brief me, Princess."

 

"Sure."

 

"Cool, coz I can't have both Summers women riding me."

 

I immediately scrunch my face at that one. "Faith, ew..."

 

The brunette waves her right hand across the path in front of her body, "Whoa whoa, so not what I meant." Ploughing her hand through her seemingly untameable locks she continues, "I'm supposed to be a responsible adult now, and that involves doin my job right... So I gotta do it all by the book. Even if it means actually reading the notes and reporting to you."

 

"Wow, are you totally admitting to doing the homework now?" I playfully cross my arms over my chest and let the smile on my lips broaden.

 

"Hey, you would too if you had Dawn ready to hang, draw and quarter you."

 

I open my mouth to comment, but instead I let that little revelation hang in the air before turning and walking away from Faith.

 

Her footsteps tell me she's heading over to her awaiting class downstairs.

 

+++

 

As well as the quarterly review of the boarding school curriculum, I have to also review the teaching methods of all the staff here.

 

Yesterday I spent time with Andrew and his Big Board 1.01 class. I never knew how in-depth his notation of missions went. He starts with an introduction to the type of pens to use on the board.

 

'I think the two words you're looking for are OH and WOW.'

 

According to Andrew, large markers are to be used for major points on the board signifying state lines and important primary landmarks.

 

Smaller felt pens are to be used to fill in all the secondary places on the board that girls have been dispatched to. For example - big red dots represent Faith and I, orange being Willow, blue for Xander and his mobile comms-link team which leaves all the tiny purple dots for the new Slayers.

 

There was a long story section on The Fall of Sunnydale: A Tale of Two Slayers, but after a raised eyebrow from me he presented a more factual account and complete breakdown of the battle. This included mild references to my relationship with Spike, Anya and Xander's Break-up Sex and the Manipulatetory Tactis of the First.

 

His words, not mine.'

 

So now this is me, sneaking into the back of Faith's class and I'm not surprised to see all the girls welding various weapons and chasing after each other.

 

I am surprised however at the way they all give Faith their undivided attention when she says....

 

"Rocket Launcher." That brunette looks at each girl in turn, "You think these titbits are fun, but have you ever felt the full power of a K-5T rip your arm off with its weight?"

 

"That's so cool." Ariel gasps.

 

"When did you use a rocket launcher?" Shannon asks in awe of her worldly wise teacher.

 

"Not me, B... Ms Summers." She corrects herself. "Used a standard (type 2) medieval crossbow to get the fuckers attention. Like the one your holding, Shan. Then blew the Judge to bits with the launcher."

 

Shannon looks at the weapon in her hand with new found respect. She smiles as if pondering a secret. "Buffy used something just like this?"

 

"Just like that? Hell, if I'm not mistaken that's the same crossbow. Give or take a few modifications."

 

The young Slayer's face lights up as she tries to hold off the other girls who are now clamouring to get a better look at the beaten up old medieval bringer of destruction.

 

"I read about him in the study with Dawn. It said that no weapon forged by man could defeat him." Rye mused out loud, "What really happened?"

 

"Did you get a date stamp on that history book?" The professor remarks with a smirk on her face.

 

"It was old and smelt like one of Giles' flavoured tea bags." She replies.

 

"Exactly, the Judge was so old that back in his day Mortal Combat was some guy like Andrew running wild with sharp pencil..."

 

All the girls chuckled at that before settling down on whatever was nearest to perch and listen to Faith.

 

"... Not gonna even come close to defeating a demon that can burn the humanity right outta ya, without even directly touching ya."

 

Rye looks up at Faith confused, "So Buffy did what exactly?"

 

"She re-wrote history." Penny whispers from her spot in the corner. She's been with us the longest, ever since I decided to start this place just over a year ago.

 

"Its something she annoyingly continues to do from time to time." Faith smirks having heard Penny. She's the type of girl that you wouldn't really notice first from a crowd, but when you spot her you know you've seen her.

 

"To tell you the truth she didn't kill him in the old fashioned sense, may as well have though. The blast blew the Judge to itty bitty pieces then the super friends scattered his parts across the globe. Never to be cut and paste again." Faith adds the facts.

 

"What about you? I heard you wrestle alligators for kicks." Ariel questions, so excited to know more.

 

"Back in the day there was this big daddy vamp out in Mississippi who used to keep 'em as pets. So he's got me wrasslin' one of them..." Faith begins but is interrupted by Shannon.

 

"That's cool n'all, but Buffy pulled the ultimate David and Goliath with this thing." She states looking at the weapon with sheer awe in her eyes. I've never really seen something like that so openly before.

 

I know I'm a big deal and everything, oldest Slayer living dead, but these girls are really excited by Faith and I.

 

'The Natural Born Slayers.'

"Naked alligator wrestling is so much more bad-ass." Ariel comments heading up the Team Faith division.

 

Shannon shakes her head raising the flag for Team Buffy, "No way. Crossbow/rocket launcher combo is totally the stylish Slayer move."

 

"I don't know... If you could mix the two, have a naked Buffy wrasslin crossbow rocket launcher, I think we might be on to something. What d'you think, B?" The dark Slayer smirks without looking at me.

 

'Eep. Busted. Again...'

 

"I think that would be a work in progress. On the schematics, but never built." I reply stepping out from behind the rack of hand-to-hand equipment.

 

All the girls talk amongst themselves wondering how Faith knew I was in the room. They had no clue I was down here. "How did you know she was there? You weren't even looking in that direction." Ariel asks curiously.

 

Rye lightly punches Ariel in the arm as she replies with her helpful answer, "Gaydar, right?"

 

'I'm not gay. So no, wrong answer.'

"You're all able to sense each other." Faith informs with an amused smile lighting up her face. "It's like the way you can sense vamps."

 

"And just like some of you can sense danger easily, the opposite is true." I add making my way across the room to stop by Penny.

 

"It takes work, so you gotta concentrate, but when you get it it's a valuable skill to have." Faith concludes.

 

'I couldn't have said it better myself.'

 

I notice Ariel and Shannon lock eyes for a moment then look down suddenly finding the weapons in their possession indescribably interesting.

 

'Junior Faith and Buffy?'

"Like gaydar." Rye pushes, but the only answer she receives is a non committal chuckle from the experienced brunette.

 

Faith stretches out her arms above her head causing her t-shit to ride up that sculpted torso of hers. I turn my focus to Penny and the katana sword she has in her hands, "Looks like you've got an exciting weapon there."

 

"It's cool, I like the detail on the blade." Penny drifts her finger along the length of the metal taking in the engraving.

 

"We picked that up last month, on the Tokyo mission." I explain allowing her to distract me.

 

"I remember. Didn't think you had time to shop while you were out there?"

 

"It was acquired." I tell Penny letting her know it was a weapon from the opposing side.

 

"Did you use it?" Shannon asks from her new position beside me.

 

"Yeah..." I gently take the sword from Penny and swing it loosely in my hands, expertly weaving designs in the air. "A little."

 

'I told you I was good with a sword.'

 

Shannon looked from the crossbow in her hand to the ancient Japanese artefact, "Would you teach me how to do that?"

 

"Sure." I shrug handing the sword back to Penny, "But only after you master the basics first." I smile at the young girl.

 

"I will." She promises.

 

I feel faith gravitate closer as she talks to the girls in smaller groups. She's such a great teacher, I just wish I had her when I was growing into becoming a Slayer.

 

'Faith is just cool. Wild with a side order of mature cheddar.'

 

"S'up B." The brunette nods her head for me to follow, so I do. We walk to the upper level of the armoury so we can talk while keeping an eye on the girls over the banister.

 

The shell of the room is laid out very much like the old Sunnydale High library, but instead of books there are categories of carefully stacked weapons.

 

Below us the young Slayers talk about the weapons and use accompanying books to lean more about their origins and usage.

 

Parts of conversations filter up to Faith and I when we stop to rest on the banister, visible to the class below.

 

"It's started..." I comment.

 

"What's that?"

 

"The 'Who can take who in a fight' argument." I point down to the girls.

 

"How many votes have I got?

 

“3... And I've got 7." I smirk.

 

"That's bullshit." Faith remarks then listens for herself, "Try 5 a piece, Twinkie."

 

"You must be mistaken... I'm sure they're pity voting down there." I chuckle loving the fact that we can joke about stuff like this and not let it drive a jealous wedge between us.

 

Faith leans on the solid banister looking down at the Slayers, "I've picked my team."

 

"Ok, shoot." I focus looking at the Slayers too.

 

"Penny, Ariel, Rye, Julia and Kennedy."

 

"Julia?" I question her choice.

 

"She's a real Nancy Drew type. Been hearing big things from D about her in Research class or Watcher Training, or whatever we decide to call that module." She explains exhibiting that she's building a well rounded team and not just a bunch of blood thirsty warriors.

 

I watch the girls beneath us then notice an out spoken character. "Rye?"

 

"The way Red talks it up, Seven Seas down there is a quick study. Real witch in the making. Already knows a bunch of protective spells and a couple nifty offensive ones too."

 

"Seven Seas?"

 

"Of Rhye." The team leader tells me, but I stare back at her with a blank expression. "You've never heard of the track 'The Seven Seas Of Rhye' by Queen?"

 

I shrug.

 

"Tell me you know who Queen are. The rock band from this pasture new."

 

"Is that the one Ozzy Osborne was in?" I ask having no clue.

 

"That's Black Sabbeth. Don't make me throw you off this banister, B." I see comical steam coming out of Faith's ears and it makes me chuckle again. "Ok, you have to know the track 'We Will Rock You'..." She starts doing the stamp, stamp, clap bit and the penny drops.

 

'Not the Slayer, but the recognition of the band.'

 

"Freddie Mercury."

 

"Yes." She breaths a deep sigh of relief.

 

"I'm assuming Ariel's going because she reminds you of you." I state rolling my eyes at the practical joke she's about to play on Shannon.

 

"You noticed that too, huh?" Faith smirks. "What can I say? She's got the gift. Great little fighter with a good sense of humour."

 

"Fine. I'm guessing Kennedy is going so you can get your revenge on the hot pocket incident?"

 

"Oh that..." Faith feigns ignorance, but can't keep it up. "Just something little up my sleeve. Nothing to worry ‘bout, B."

 

"Behave yourself. Willow won't think twice about turning you into a toad for messing with her girl."

 

The dark Slayer looks at me and laughs knowing that willow has the balls to do it.

 

'She almost pulled a Warren on the world, remember.'

 

"Go inform your team. Your submission has been approved." I point down to the girls, "They're gonna be way excited."

 

"You know it. Time out of class to kick some ass? What's not to get excited 'bout." The Slayer leaves me on the platform to bring the good news.

 

"Ma'am, I know you're in the middle of a meeting, but I wondered if I could ask you something?" Shannon stands a few yards from me as if getting any closer would break an unwritten rule punishable by death.

 

I smile warmly at the nervous girl, "Faith and I are done. What's up?"

 

"Its the sensing other Slayers thing." She chews on her lower lip, "What does it mean when you can feel one person more than everyone else?"

 

"Umm, sometimes it means they are physically closer to you than other girls." I offer gesturing for the petite fair haired teenager to step closer. As she does her long ringlets bounce slightly over her shoulders. "So now you might be able to sense me more than the other Slayers down there."

 

Shannon closes her eyes and concentrates like I taught the girls a over a month ago. I allow them understand their spiritual side in my classes. This seventeen year old excels in those lessons.

 

"I still feel her." Shannon whispers with her eyes closed. "And it's not the same sensation like I get with the others." The apt pupil opens her eyes, "With them I get a dull hum, but with her it's a stronger hum with a faint pull... And sometimes there's tingles."

 

I look at the confused girl thinking about if I get that with other Slayers. There is one I can sense...

 

"I know we're different to you and Faith, but is that how you feel us? How we're supposed to sense each other? I mean, did you feel that with Kendra or with Faith... being born into the legacy and everything?"

 

"The way I feel Faith is different... Maybe it is because of our lineage." I never thought of that before. "We shared our power with all of you, so I guess it could be a side effect?"

 

She starts to pace in a tight circle while flapping her hands at the wrists. "When I got my power, I changed I knew something about me wasn't the same. Did becoming a Slayer make me...?"

 

Shannon looks more confused than before, "But I have a boyfriend back at home. Am I feeling this way coz I miss him? The last time I saw him we-we got closer..." She stumbles over the words.

 

I get a little lost in the mini ramble then my eyes go wide realising what she's telling me, "Shouldn't you be speaking to Willow about this?"

 

"Yeah, but no. I thought it's just a Slayer thing." Her hazel eyes go wide just like mine did a moment ago, "Am I? Does it mean that I'm...? Coz I feel her a lot...?"

 

I try to hide my shock and focus on helping this fragile Slayer with her problem, "Only you can decide how you feel about her."

 

Shannon nods thinking about this seeming to calm down. Her breathings become regular again, I guess that's a good sign.

 

Wow, this girl even throws panic attacks like me.'

 

"Do you know if this Slayer can sense you as strongly as you sense her?" I ask trying to put everything into perspective.r32;r32;"Yeah I think so."

 

I nod, "It'll be good for you to spend some time away from your boyfriend and this Slayer, y'know. So you can clear your mind to decide how you feel." I offer hoping this is helpful advice. "If it's just a Slayer thing... or if it's a missing of the boyfriend thing... or if it's more than that...."

 

I've never counselled anyone on this type of stuff before. Getting asked out by a horny male high school student to check for gayity, doesn't count.

 

"I can do that." Shannon closes her eyes then furrows her brow, "But I can still feel her..."

 

"If it's who I think it is you don't have to worry." I smile gently, "Faith has a mission in Prague and she's taking a small team with her."

 

"So she'll be going with Faith?" the petite Slayer asks almost disappointed that her friend will be leaving soon.

 

"If it's the same Slayer I'm thinking of, yeah. They leave tomorrow night."

 

"Oh..." Her hazel eyes shift from the shelf of knuckle dusters behind me to the banister beside us. "But that's good right... gives me space?"

 

"Yeah. These types of things are never easy, so just being honest with yourself is the best foot forward."

 

The best foot forward? Gosh, how much do I sound like Giles right now?'

 

"Ok... I will. Thanks, Ma'am." Shannon takes a deep breath and exhales before leaving me to rejoin her classmates.

 

And why can't I take my own advice?'

 

Oh yeah that's right, because I don't think I have a problem with Slayer tingles. We're just friends.


Chapter Views: 1883




Please note: If you are using IE (particularly IE9) and having problems with the review form, try turning off text editor. Otherwise, try a different browser.