The Chosen Two Archive
A Buffy/Faith Fanfiction Community

The Chosen Two Archives

BROWSE BY:

Relationship [279]
Season [232]
Character
Genre

Archive Links:

Twitter
Awards
Tumblr
Links

Site Info

Members: 1539
Series: 20
Stories: 290
Chapters: 1551
Word count: 7910064
Authors: 59
Reviews: 2554
Reviewers: 156
Newest Member: evesock
 

Search





At the Crossroads of Faith by SilentlySlaying
[Reviews - 33]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +

The duo arrived at The Crestmont – home of Faith's recently acquired apartment – with Buffy looking around anxiously as they made their way up to room 118. She didn't like the idea of being anywhere the mayor could have eyes on, but Faith had insisted on the detour so she could grab some of her stuff and get changed. When Buffy had tried to deter her, Faith had pointed out that, even though her discarded jacket had taken the bulk of the blood ejected from the council lackey, her remaining clothes weren't exactly ranking high in the hygiene department.

Faith seemed wholly unconcerned with the potential danger and was instead busy munching her way through the takeaway stack of pancakes Buffy had bought her at a café a few blocks back. There had been eight in total, though Buffy had already accepted and eaten one herself, and Faith was eagerly making her way through her fourth. Apparently Faith's appetite wasn't strictly linked to her slaying, Buffy thought to herself as she watched in wonder while Faith quickly polished off another one.

Entering the apartment first, Buffy quickly scanned over the room for any signs of danger, but short of tripping over one of the piles of junk that littered the messy floor there were none to be found. “OK, let's make this quick. It may be daytime, but we don't know if the mayor has anyone else watching this place.”

“You got it,” Faith said as she made her way past Buffy into the middle of the room, placing the remaining pancakes down on the bedside table.

Buffy raised an eyebrow when Faith pulled her top off in one quick motion and flung it to the floor, then she quickly turned her back when the girl's hands started to fiddle with the button on her jeans. “Yowsers,” she said quietly to herself. “Well someone's certainly not shy.”

“What was that?” Faith asked.

“Nothing,” Buffy replied, making sure she kept her eyes firmly placed on the bare wall. She could hear Faith moving about behind her, but she didn't dare look back in case her state of undress had become even more un than dress.

“Just admiring the brickwork?” Faith asked a few moments later, appearing by Buffy's side. Buffy risked a look around and was relieved to see that Faith was once again fully clothed. “Gotta say, I prefer the look of the sound system myself.” Faith nodded toward where the bulky, expensive looking device sat in the small alcove. “Speaking of, wanna help me carry it?”

“I think we should probably just stick to the essentials,” Buffy said, her disbelief triggering an amused smile. While it may have been the mayor who ended up having to pay for the damages, she had no desire to get caught stealing from the hotel, and sneaking out something that large could not be filed under inconspicuous.

“Killjoy,” Faith muttered, grinning at Buffy before her eyes roamed over the room. They landed on a black carry case which she casually made her way over to, seemingly in no particular hurry despite Buffy's earlier request. After pulling it open, she went about collecting up clothing from the floor and piling it in haphazardly.

“Nice system you've got here,” Buffy said as she took another look around. “The way you've got everything evenly spread out across the entire room, it's very – well, I think my mom would call it post-modern.” She looked up, pretending to think hard, though Faith wasn't paying her any attention. “Or maybe she'd just call you a slob.”

“Hey, it's not my fault no-one told me this place would be low on wardrobe space.” Faith picked up a white vest top from the floor, held it out in front of her as she ran her eyes up and down it several times, and then threw it back over her shoulder before moving on to another piece of apparel.

“Oh yeah, that's definitely the problem,” Buffy quipped, continuing to watch Faith pack with a content amusement.

“So what were you up to last night?” Faith asked casually. She started squashing down the contents of the bag, freeing up more room.

“What do you mean?”

“Well for one thing, I didn't hear you come up last night. And also, you look like hell.”

“Gee, thanks,” Buffy grumbled, instinctively moving her hand up to try and ruffle her hair in to some sort of life.

Faith glanced back at Buffy over her shoulder. “I just meant you look tired is all.”

“A little,” Buffy admitted, though that was somewhat of an understatement. She eyed Faith's bed with a hint of dismay, wanting little more than to collapse on top of it and remain there for the entire day. Unfortunately she had a party to prepare for, and so the best she could hope to do was to raid Giles' tea collection.

“So long as you weren't necking on the couch with Angel all night.”

“Actually, Angel and I are –“ Her brow furrowed. “Well, we're pretty much Angel and I right now. Little in the way of crossover.”

“Oh, that's too bad,” Faith said with no real emotion. “So what then?”

“Just looking into the mayor.” Technically it wasn't a total lie, Buffy told herself. She didn't want to get Faith's hopes up without knowing more about what she'd read. “You know, the whole research thing.”

“At that time of night?” Faith said, struggling slightly as she made her way over to Buffy with her bulging bag grasped in both hands. “Couldn't it have waited until morning?”

Buffy shrugged. “It's important.”

“Well, was it worth it?”

“I hope so. We'll see what Giles has to say though.” Faith didn't visibly react to the name, and Buffy hoped that was because Faith wasn’t harbouring any long term resentment over the information Buffy had shared. She held her hand out toward Faith's bag. “Here, let me take that.”

“No, I've got it,” Faith replied as she quickly moved the bag away from Buffy's reach. “Thanks anyway,” she added.

“OK, I guess those pancakes will just have to go to waste then. A pity really,” Buffy said with a knowing grin.

Faith looked over to the bedside table and then back to Buffy. She hesitated for just a moment before holding the bag out. “Don't get too used to this, B. When I'm back at full strength I'll be kicking your ass in training all over again.”

“I can hardly wait.” Buffy took the bag from her hands. It was heavier than she expected, taking her by surprise and almost falling through her grip. “Whoa. How do you even afford all this stuff?”

Faith smirked. “You really don't wanna know.”

“Oh.” Buffy cast a glance at the sound system. “Forget I even asked.”

----------

“So?” Buffy asked for the third time in a minute, hovering impatiently over Giles' shoulder. “Will it work?”

Willow and Giles were already stationed at the library when the two Slayers arrived. The Rosenberg household had also been the unfortunate recipients of the mayor's invitations, and with Willow having already filled Giles in on the situation, that meant Buffy could focus on the more promising news.

“For Pete's sake, just hold on a minute will you,” Giles said, his eyes scanning over the late night reading material while Buffy continued to pester him for answers.

Buffy sighed and began pacing along the length of the table. “I thought librarians could read fast,” she muttered.

“Maybe they could if they were given a moment's peace and quiet.”

“What's the deal, B?” Faith asked, her eyes trailing Buffy. “You're way too excited about this. You find mayor Kryptonite or something?”

“Better,” Buffy replied simply before refocusing on Giles. “Well?”

She could make out the faint sound of Giles' teeth grinding against each other. “This does seem like it would do the job,” he said, his eyes flicking up at her briefly before he continued to read.

“Do what job?” Faith asked. “Someone wanna fill me in here?”

“We can undo it,” Buffy said excitedly as she faced Faith. “Once we get the shard we can transfer its energy back to you. It'll be like it never happened.”

There was a short pause before Faith replied. “Are you sure?”

Buffy noticed Faith's lips curl up ever so slightly and a genuine smile was her reply.

“Buffy,” Faith began.

“Oh,” Giles interrupted before she had gotten any further.

Buffy didn't like the sound of that. “What?” she asked. Her optimism immediately entered a tailspin, and already she feared the answer to the simple question.

“You understand what this means, yes?” His extended index finger pointed halfway down the page of the book, but she couldn't make out the small, upside down text from where she stood.

She just shook her head.

“This passage indicates that...” He looked between Faith and Buffy before beginning again. “The energy taken by the shard isn't infinite; it can and will run dry.” He paused briefly. “If too much of the energy is used up then there won't be anything left to get back,” he added, but Buffy had already connected the dots.

“That makes sense,” Willow agreed. “Magic can't just poof from out of nowhere,” she said, her fingers flicking outward as she gestured a small explosion. “Power has to be transformed. It has to be borrowed, o-or taken from another source.”

Buffy was momentarily taken aback by the new information, having stopped her research as soon as she had come across the more promising part of the book. “OK, that's fine.” She tried to blot out the undesirable scenarios that her mind insisted on drumming up. “Then we just need to move fast, right?”

She looked at Faith. The light that had briefly appeared within her brown eyes had been revoked. “Hey,” she said softly. When that didn't get any reaction she lightly touched Faith on the arm. The girl was startled to life, jumping and pulling her arm back.

“It won't come to that,” Buffy promised, her hand still hovering in mid-air. “We'll do whatever we have to.”

Faith nodded, the corners of her mouth twitching up momentarily, displaying a slither of hope amongst her otherwise sullen features.

Buffy turned back to Giles, her mind already racing its way toward a new plan. “OK, so we need to get to the mayor, and he's throwing this anniversary party tomorrow night. It's perfect. We can get close without having to worry about being arrested the moment we walk through the front door.”

“Buffy, that's exactly what he wants,” Giles said. “This party is clearly an attempt to force our hand. To face him on his home territory, and after sundown no less? He's holding all the cards.”

“Not all of them,” came a familiar voice from the entrance. In the doorway stood Wesley, a large, worn book under his arm and Cordelia flanking him to his left.

“What are you doing here?” Buffy asked sourly, her mood darkening as she took a single step toward him.

“Now, I understand that you're upset with me, and rightly so,” Wesley said, holding out his free hand as if it could somehow stop her advance. “Perhaps involving the council was a bad idea, but--”

“Gee, you think?” Buffy said, the sarcasm dripping from her tongue.

“But I didn't contact them again last night, I swear it. However they found out about Faith, it wasn't through me.”

Buffy shook her head. “No dice, Wesley; I don't buy it.”

“God, Buffy, get over yourself already,” Cordelia chimed in. “The whole world isn't some giant conspiracy theory that revolves around you. How do you know they weren't already on their way here?”

“And what, they just happened to read about Faith in the midnight times? The council knew what happened, and that means someone told them.”

“Well maybe they had a demon. A listening demon. With big ears, and, and...” Cordelia's arms waved around in front of her. “And hearing aids! Yeah, that's right. High quality, medical grade, catch-your-ex-boyfriend-cheating-on-you hearing aids.”

Buffy raised her eyebrows in bewilderment, staring at Cordelia as if she had lost her mind, and even Wesley looked sceptical.

“The point is...” Cordelia started, and then her hung mouth open as her eyes looked from side to side before landing on Wesley. “What was the point again?”

“The point is,” Wesley took over, “is that I want to help, if you'll allow it.” He readjusted the book until he was holding it in both hands, and then quickly strode forward before Buffy had time to object, placing the hefty tome down on the table with a loud thump. “And I managed to lay my hands on this, along with another four volumes currently stored in the boot of Cordelia's car. The Books of Ascension.” He looked to Giles with a pleased smile on his face. “I believe you may have heard of them.”

Giles quickly moved around the table as he adjusted his glasses. “How did you get a hold of them?” He ran his hand over the front cover, removing a thick layer of dust in the process.

“With tenacity and guile, Mr Giles.” Giles looked at him wryly, and Wesley stood firm under the gaze for only a matter of seconds. “Along with the, err, small fee of five thousand dollars,” he added quietly, his smile slipping.

“Ouch. Them's some expensive breaks,” Willow said dourly, pouting on behalf of Wesley, and Buffy almost felt bad when a small smile crept its way on to her face.

“Yes, well, at the time I had hoped to have it reimbursed.” Wesley's head dropped. “Unfortunately, as it happens, the council have informed me that they will not by requiring my services for the time being.”

Buffy eyed the downtrodden figure as she questioned whether he was telling the truth. Somebody had to have ratted Faith out, and it wouldn't have been the first time Wesley had gone behind their backs to the council. Something didn't add up though; if Wesley had given them Faith on a silver platter then why had they tossed him aside?

“They fired you?” Giles asked.

“If you want to get technical.”

A small laugh escaped Giles' throat. “Early retirement not looking so humorous now, is it?”

“This is hardly the time to get snippy.”

“While I hate to break up this touching reunion,” Buffy interrupted, “care to share what's so important about these books?”

Wesley instantly perked up. “I'm glad you asked,” he said. “They go into great detail about the mayor's planned ascension. Of most interest, however, is that without the box of Gavrok, it simply cannot happen.” A wide, triumphant smile beamed across his face. “All we need to do is destroy it and the world is safe once again.”

“No box, no ascension?”

“Precisely.”

“Then we trade,” Buffy said simply. “For real this time. The box for the shards.”

“Indeed.” Wesley's eyes widened. “Wait. What? No. Absolutely not.” Buffy stared at him. “No,” he reasserted.

“If you're going to help, then you can stay. But when I want your opinion, Wes, I'll ask for it.”

“That box is the key to the mayor's ascension,” Wesley continued anyway. “We'd be playing right into his hands. Mr. Giles, please talk some sense into her.”

Giles gave him a disapproving look before turning to Buffy. “He's not wrong,” he said cautiously. “I understand that you want to help Faith – a-and we all do – but Buffy, the fallout from the mayor's ascension could be catastrophic.”

“And what about everyone who goes to the party tomorrow?” Buffy asked, anger creeping into her voice. She was aggrieved that Giles had sided with Wesley so easily, and the sympathetic look she was receiving did nothing but rub her up the wrong way. “Are they acceptable collateral as well?”

“Listen to me, please. I'm not saying that Faith or anyone else is expendable, however--”

“Buffy has a point,” Willow said, rising from her seat. “I mean my mom is planning to go. And sure, we may not get on all that well, and yeah, she pretty much just ignores my existence, but that doesn't mean I'm OK with letting her die.”

“Wait, why does everyone keep talking about a party?” Cordelia asked, looking between them all in disdain. “And why haven't I been invited? I mean hello, I'm Cordelia Chase. Without me there is no party.”

“We'll find another way to stop it,” Giles stressed, ignoring Cordelia but for an irritated glance.

“Really?” Buffy said. “Because I can't hurt him, and apparently magic won't touch him while those things are protecting him. So if either of you have some brilliant idea then let's hear it, because I am all ears.”

There was silence as the two former watchers exchanged glances. Neither spoke up, but nor did their almost matching, disapproving looks shift.

“Then we go with the only option we have,” Buffy asserted.

“Not the only option,” Faith said, joining the conversation. All eyes shot toward her. “Bet I can still get close enough to swipe the shards.”

“No way,” Buffy said immediately. “Too risky.”

“I know him,” Faith reasoned. “I can walk right into his office, no questions asked.”

“And look what he did to you the last time you got close to him.”

“Might I suggest--” Wesley started diplomatically.

“You said it yourself, you couldn't stop him,” Faith cut in. “So if he wanted me dead, I would be already, right?”

“Look, I get that you two bonded or whatever,” Buffy said with a generous helping of sarcasm, instantly drawing an angry look from Faith, “but don't think for one moment that he won't finish what he started if he catches you trying something.”

“Well I guess we'll find out soon enough,” Faith said, her hand landing on her hip defiantly.

“Buffy, perhaps--” Giles tried.

“If you think that I'm going to just let you walk--” Buffy began, drowning out Giles.

“It's not your call,” Faith interrupted, raising her voice.

“The hell it isn't,” Buffy shouted. “No one is doing anything until I say so.”

“So how you planning on stopping me?” Faith threw her thumb back over her shoulder. “Gonna lock me up in wolf-boy's playpen?”

“Finally, a good idea,” Buffy shot back.

Faith narrowed her eyes. Buffy crossed her arms, refusing to budge on the matter.

“Well you'll never guess what my folks got in the mail this morning,” came Xander's disbelieving voice from the library entrance. Buffy and Faith continued to trade stares, remaining silent along with the rest of the group, and the sound of approaching footsteps slowed to a halt. “Bad timing?”

“Oh don't worry,” Cordelia said cheerfully as she gave a dismissive wave of her hand. “Our well adjusted Slayers are just about to go all Rambo on one another while we all wait around for the mayor to kill us.”

“This is my fault,” Faith said, her full attention still on Buffy. “Let me fix it.”

Buffy ran both hands back through her hair as she blew the frustration out from her lungs. “OK, fine, if that's what you want to hear: this is your fault. You screwed up. Big time.” She kept her voice at a normal level, trying to deter Faith without angering her further. “But you've already done enough to make it right, and I am not going to let you throw your life away.”

“Damnit, I'm not trying to.” Faith's arm shot out in irritation. “But I guess that whole thing about trusting me was just bull.”

“No. I meant every word,” Buffy reassured her. “It's not you I don't trust. The mayor is deeply dangerous, Faith, and you're...” Buffy caught herself before she had finished, but the look on Faith's face told her she'd already said enough.

“What? Go on, say it. Just some helpless, little girl, right?”

“No,” Buffy said weakly, fighting the strong urge to break eye contact. She'd had no intention of being so callous, but at the same time she knew Faith wasn't all that far off the mark. She couldn't help that she worried though; what else was she supposed to do? “If you want to be pissed at me for trying to keep you safe, then that's fine. I can deal with that.” She couldn't keep the shaking from her voice. “But I'll be damned if I have to stand there and watch while they put you in the ground.”

Faith's features softened, a sad smile turning up the corners of her mouth. “Hey, I've got no plans on going out any time soon. I'm a Slayer too, B. I know I can do this; I just need you to let me.”

The indecision split Buffy's mind in two. She had no desire to fight, but she had trouble looking past the fact that Faith was, as it stood, a normal human being. No part of it was fair, but that didn't make it any less true. Faith watched her intently, the wilful determination clearly not a part of the Slayer package, and Buffy couldn't bring herself to shoot her down. “OK,” she conceded, “but I'm coming with you.”

Faith shook her head. “I wish you could, but remember the whole walking right in part? Not really gonna fly if we go in hand in hand.”

“No. Buffy should go with you,” Willow said, quickly drawing everyone's attention. “We all should.” A sly smile grew on her face. “I think I have a plan.”


Chapter Views: 9484




Please note: If you are using IE (particularly IE9) and having problems with the review form, try turning off text editor. Otherwise, try a different browser.