The Chosen Two Archive
A Buffy/Faith Fanfiction Community

The Chosen Two Archives

BROWSE BY:

Relationship [279]
Season [232]
Character
Genre

Archive Links:

Twitter
Awards
Tumblr
Links

Site Info

Members: 1539
Series: 20
Stories: 290
Chapters: 1551
Word count: 7910064
Authors: 59
Reviews: 2554
Reviewers: 156
Newest Member: evesock
 

Search





At the Crossroads of Faith by SilentlySlaying
[Reviews - 33]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +

 

“7:52,” Oz said.

“What?” Buffy asked, looking up.

“Well it was 7:51 when you last looked at your watch, so I was just thinking that we've probably moved on to 7:52.”

Buffy was sat across the table from Willow and Oz, the three of them surrounded by the combined roar of teenagers, the noise unnecessarily helped out by the live band set up on the stage somewhere over Buffy's shoulder. It was one night on from their showdown with the mayor, but more importantly one night before they were freed from high school forever, and so they'd gathered at The Bronze for a pre-graduation celebration. She'd seen Xander and Cordelia verbally sparring earlier, and even Giles and Wesley had turned up, though they'd since retreated to the corner of the bar in a likely fruitless attempt to find some peace. That left Faith as the only absentee, even though she'd accepted Buffy's invitation to join them.

“Do I detect worry?” Willow asked, offering up a sympathetic smile.

“A little,” Buffy admitted. “I mean Faith didn't seem all that shook up last night, and the mayor totally had it coming, but...” She stared down into her glass, watching as the tiny bubbles floated up to the surface.

“But you don't know if she's dealing?” Oz asked.

“Right,” Buffy confirmed. “Who's to say it wasn't all a little too close to home? I didn't see it before, but the thing with Finch really tore her up. And now the mayor – I don't even know if he could be considered human anymore, but that doesn't mean it was any easier for her.”

“On the news it said he died of a heart attack. So does that mean he's definitely, you know?” Willow said before she mimed stabbing a knife through her chest.

“I don't think so; not technically at least. He still has the whole immortality thing going for him. But after what he said about me being trapped in a box for the rest of my life, I don't think he's going to be bothering anyone anytime soon.”

“Well he wanted to live forever,” Willow said, smiling brightly.

“Yeah,” Buffy said, unable to match Willow's enthusiasm. She noticed the pair of worried looks being directed her way from across the table. “Sorry guys, I know this is supposed to be a party. You know, of the actual peppy variety. You two should go have fun. Do that whole dancing thing, or whatever it is the cool kids are up to these days. I'll be over in a bit.”

“There's no hurry. We can--”

“Go!” Buffy commanded, her outstretched arm pointing them away.

“Well I'm certainly not going to argue with a Slayer,” Oz said. Willow gave Buffy a small smile before she let Oz lead her off in the direction of the dance floor. Once they'd gone, Buffy slouched back in her seat with a sigh. Deciding to give Faith another half hour before giving up and heading home, she sat staring straight at a vacant pillar, letting her eyes slowly lose focus as the surrounding noise faded into the background. It didn't take long until her lids slowly drifted shut.

“Hey girlfriend. You really know how to party.”

Faith's hand landed on Buffy's shoulder as she spoke, and Buffy shot up straight. Her momentum would have sent her flying off the front of her chair were it not for the sturdy hand supporting her. “Faith!” she managed, the surprise in her voice echoed internally by the abrupt pounding in her chest.

“You OK there?” Faith asked, looking down at Buffy as an amused smile played over her face.

“I was just--”

“Sleeping like you've just made it through a fun packed 80th birthday?”

“Resting my eyes,” Buffy said lamely. “You shouldn't sneak up on people like that.”

“Sorry.” Faith's hand moved away as she dropped down into a chair next to Buffy. “So where is everyone? Or was the whole party thing just a ruse to get me here?”

Buffy took a quick look around, but she couldn't see much of anything through the surrounding crowds. “They're here somewhere. Can I get you a drink? I don't think they'll serve me beer, but soda I can do.”

“Nah, I'm good thanks.”

“Maybe later then.” It didn't take much in the way of observation to see the energy oozing from Faith, and she looked more laid-back than Buffy had seen her in a long while. “How are you holding up?”

“I'm great. Why wouldn't I be?” Faith leant back against the chair, kicking her feet up to rest on the table, showing off her black cowboy boots as they poked out from her slim fit pants. “Dusted six vamps last night. The Sunny D underworld knows that Faith's back on the clock. Or at least they would if I'd left anyone to spread the message.”

“I thought you said you were just going to head home?” Buffy said, recalling Faith's quick exit the night before.

Faith shrugged, somewhat awkwardly from her lax position. “And I was. But then I passed a couple of cemeteries on the way and figured, hey, no harm in taking the scenic route, right?”

“I guess not,” Buffy said, deciding to let it drop. If Faith had no qualms with what had happened then Buffy wasn't exactly going to dwell on it either. She was more than happy to let the past stay that way.

“So, graduation huh?” Faith asked. “Your folks must be pretty proud.”

“Yeah. The way my mom's been going on about it you'd think she was the one graduating. If she keeps it up I'm worried she's going to have a stroke. But my dad is – well, he can't make it anymore. Something about a last minute business trip.”

“Bummer,” Faith said, her smile withdrawing a little.

“It's fine.” Buffy didn't want to bring even more gloom to the night than she already had. “It does mean there's a free seat going though. I know it's kind of lame, but you should come.”

“No way,” Faith said instantly, the disbelief in her voice difficult to miss.

“Oh,” Buffy managed, her thoughts faltering at the ease with which the idea had been shot down. “Yeah, sure,” she started as she tried to casually brush off the dismissal, “I mean, I underst--”

“You made it, B,” Faith cut in, bringing Buffy's babbling to an abrupt end. Her feet swung back to the floor, and she sat forward, leaning in toward Buffy. “You got through high school, kicked some major ass in the exams, and you saved the world along the way. That's not lame; it's wicked cool.”

“You think?” Buffy said bashfully, her eyes lowering as she blushed from the unexpected compliment.

“No doubt,” Faith said, an enthusiastic smile on her face. “So what should I wear?”

Buffy couldn't keep the beaming smile from her face, but after glancing over at yet another one of Faith's revealing tops she still found herself unable to resist one quick jab. “Do you actually own anything else?” she jested.

“Sure. You should see the strapless version,” Faith returned without pause.

“Not quite what I had in mind.”

“Yeah? You say that now, but you haven't seen me in it yet.”

Buffy raised a questioning eyebrow. “Do I need to remind you that my mother's going to be there?”

“Don't worry, B, I won't show you up.” Faith was back up on her feet, clearly too full of energy to stay still for any real length of time. “So, assuming it's not past your bedtime, you wanna dance?”

“It was only for a moment,” Buffy said, pouting her innocence. She took a hold of Faith's held out hand and followed the other girl through the crowd to the dance floor.

----------

“Mayor Wilkins was scheduled to give the commencement speech today, but as I'm sure you have all heard, his tragic heart attack means that is no longer possible.” Principal Snyder stood before the crowd of onlookers. Students took up the first few rows, each of them looking relieved to have made it to the final day, and they were closely followed by friends and family members. “It also left no time for the school board to find a replacement, and so you'll have to make do with me.”

“Lucky us,” Buffy whispered to Willow, who was sat by her side in the middle of the second row, and they shared a knowing look beneath their matching, crimson mortarboards.

“I'm sure there are one or two of you out there who more or less deserve to be here today,” Snyder continued, “and perhaps they will go on to do something meaningful with their lives. The rest of you will no doubt swan around your parents' basements for the next decade, leeching on to them just like you leeched on to my school.”

He looked up at the sky, and Buffy briefly thought he might actually tear up. However when he looked back his features had all but formed into a scowl; or perhaps that was his usual look, Buffy considered.

“I wish I could say I was glad to see you all go, but the sad truth is that there's a never ending stream of children just like you jutting out from the woodwork. One after another, like filthy, disgusting, little cockroaches.”

His eyes scanned over the crowd before landing on Buffy, and he eyed her suspiciously as he spoke. “And to whoever locked me in my office the other day, know that if we're ever so unfortunate that you procreate then I promise I'll have your children held back for detention.” His eyes moved on, looking across the row for other possible suspects and narrowing suspiciously when they landed on Xander, who in return simply shrugged his shoulders. Giving up, Snyder's eyes returned to the crowd as a whole. “Well then. Let's get on with it already.”

Despite the unorthodox speech, a short chorus of whoops, cheers, and clapping erupted from the crowd. Once it died down, Snyder retreated to the back of the stage, and then the ceremony began.

----------

“Hey. You made it,” Buffy said. She'd barely arrived on time for the event, her mom's constant fussing all morning making it difficult to get ready on time. When she had finally arrived, Willow had quickly ushered her to her seat before she'd had a chance to look for Faith. Seeing her for the first time, she ran her eyes over Faith's outfit, impressed that the girl hadn't followed through on her threat to wear something with even less material than the night before. Instead she looked more casual in a simple, white t-shirt and navy jeans.

“Wouldn't miss it for anything,” Faith said.

Buffy bounced up and down on the balls of her feet as she held up her diploma for Faith to see. “Looky what I got,” she said, her somewhat exaggerated excitement drawing a laugh from Faith.

“Pretty impressive, B,” Faith said. “So does that mean you're all set for college now?”

It took a while for that idea to really sink in. Buffy had been far too busy to process much over the past week, and she hadn't really considered that this was it. Three years of her life. The good, the bad, the scary, and the downright terrifying. The one thing in common – all of it was over, and she had a feeling she was going to miss it – the good parts at least. “I guess,” she finally replied.

“What?” Faith asked, picking up on Buffy's obvious jitters. “Little bit scary?” The two of them began to slowly walk across the school ground with no real destination in mind, carefully weaving their way past the groups of teenagers saying their goodbyes.

“Maybe a little. I mean it's weird to think that everything's going to change. And I have absolutely no idea what to expect.” She rolled the thought over in her head. “But new experiences can be good,” she reasoned, even though she was already wondering when the last new experience Sunnydale had offered her had been anything other than deadly. “Or so I've heard.”

“Yeah, so long as they don't come with sharp teeth.”

“Sadly that's pretty much the Sunnydale standard.” She shook off her doubts; she had an entire Summer to worry about preparing for college. “What about you, Faith?”

Faith shrugged. “Classroom's not really my scene. Too much sitting; not enough action.”

“I was thinking more in general. Tell me,” she said, motioning her hands out toward the other girl, “what's next for the life of Faith?”

“I dunno,” Faith said absently. “Never really had much of a life plan. Pretty much just go with the flow or whatever.”

“You are staying though, right? In Sunnydale I mean?” Buffy was well aware of just how much things had changed in the past week. The two of them had been thrown together by forces neither of them had any control over, and at one point it had seemed almost impossible to pick up the pieces after everything had gone to hell. They'd come through it all though, and to that end she was pretty sure she already knew the answer to her question. Still, she wasn't willing to leave anything else to chance, and so she figured it couldn't hurt to double check.

Faith's lips turned up at the corners. “I can think of one or two reasons to stick around,” was her vague reply.

The answer put a little more pep in Buffy's already spring-laden step. “Oh? And what might they be?” she asked coyly.

“Well for one,” Faith said, her eyes flicking to Buffy's overly sweet smile, “there's this great pizza place on the corner of fifth street. I mean really, the pepperoni there is to die for.”

Without warning, Buffy punched the other girl in the arm, a little harder than she'd intended.

“Jeez, B,” Faith complained as she rubbed at her arm, “How do you even have any friends left alive? It really is lucky I'm back at full strength.”

“Sorry,” Buffy said, not sounding all that remorseful, “but you totally deserved that. Speaking of though, has everything been alright since the spell? No additional limbs sprouting up, or cravings for the blood of the innocent?”

“As good as new,” Faith assured her. “It's a pity I'm going to have to move out of that apartment though. Nice place, but without the ex-employer's payments it's a couple of classes out of my league.” When she realized Faith had stopped walking, Buffy also came to a halt, turning to find a sly look on Faith's face. “Hey, unless you want to be my sugar daddy? You pay for the room and you can get all this in return.” Faith motioned her hands down her body, and she bared all her teeth in an over the top grin.

The waggling of the eyebrows was the last straw, and even as Buffy rolled her eyes she couldn't stop a wide grin from spreading over her own face. “I'll help you pack.”

“There you are.” Joyce appeared between the two of them from seemingly out of nowhere, pulling Buffy into a tight hug without warning. “I'm so proud of you,” she gushed.

“Thanks,” Buffy said simply, having already heard the sentiment at least a half dozen times that morning. She wrapped one arm around her mom while the other kept her diploma out of harms way. When she was still being held tight ten seconds later, Buffy raised a questioning eyebrow over her mom's shoulder to Faith. “OK, I think you can probably let go now.”

“Sorry, honey,” Joyce said, finally pulling back. “I'm just so excited. My little girl is going to college.”

“Mom--”

“No, you're right. You're not a little girl any more. But you'll always be mine, and I'll always be proud of you.”

Buffy could feel her face start to redden over her mother's feverish attention. She stole a glance at Faith, and was both relieved and pleasantly surprised to find a small smile on her face rather than the expected smirk.

“So, what say we go get some lunch?” Joyce said. “My treat.”

Buffy oohed enthusiastically. “Present time. And they say studying is its own reward.”

Joyce gave her a sideways look before turning her attention to Faith. “You're more than welcome to join us, Faith.”

Faith in turn looked to Buffy, receiving a smile and a short nod. “Sure, Mrs. S.”

“So what are we thinking?” Joyce asked, looking between the two girls. “Something big, or is it still a bit too early in the day?”

With no real craving for anything specific, Buffy looked to Faith for an answer.

“Don't look at me,” Faith said. “You're the graduation girl.”

“OK.” Buffy didn't have to think about it long before she came up with an answer. “Then how about some ribs?”

Faith let out a short laugh. “Not gonna say no to that.”

“Ribs?” Joyce asked, looking confused. “Since when do you eat ribs?”

“Well I don't think I've ever given ribs a fair chance,” Buffy replied, her eyes not leaving Faith's. “But with graduation and college and all, if there was ever a time for new beginnings, I think this is it.”

“OK then,” Joyce said, shaking her head in bemusement, “lead the way.”

“Lead the way,” Buffy echoed, linking one arm through Faith's while the other kept a secure hold of her rolled up certificate.

“They're gonna change your world, B,” Faith assured her as she led the three of them down the walkway toward town, the trio heading away from Sunnydale High School one last time.

“You know what, I think you're probably right.”

----------

Three months later...

Water leaked from an overhanging pipe, the slow, steady plop of the droplets sinking into the puddle below echoing around the dark, dank enclosure. The pitter-patter of a rat's tiny footsteps over the cold, stone floor went unheard as it approached the massing of water. It took a single look across the room before it turned and fled, squeaking out its fear as it raced away through a small hole at the bottom of the sewer wall.

Across the cave-like area, thirteen hooded gowns hid their owners, the flickering candles that surrounded them only able to cast a sliver of light across their human faces. Two rows of six knelt on the floor, their heads bowed before a large stone tablet. A brass goblet filled almost to the brim with a deep red substance sat on top, taking centre stage, and a haphazardly placed collection of large bones decorated the rim. Above it, three people hung by their feet from a thick, taut rope. Stripped, tied and gagged, the teenagers gently swayed back and forth, helpless as their fates fast approached.

The final cultist stood behind the altar. He faced the others, looking down across them, the handle of a ragged knife clutched tightly against his palm.

As one they chanted, their voices combining into a single, low hum. “Of body. Of mind. Of soul. Forever faithful, we call upon you to cross the void.”

The knife was dipped slowly, almost delicately, into the goblet, the previously clean, silver blade quickly picking up the colour of the liquid. The prisoners could do nothing more than mumble pleas for help through their gags as they were left with the choice of closing their eyes or watching the terrifying events unfold.

“We ask of you, take us from our shackled bodies. We implore you, release our minds so that we may serve. We pray of you, lead us to the higher plane. Accept this sacrifice and come forth.”

The first throat was slit, a deep, remorseless stroke that let free a river of blood. The mumbled cries of fear got louder as two pairs of widened eyes begged to no avail. Two more cuts were made in quick succession, and the blood ran fast, flowing over the grisly altar and running down the sides to the floor. Not one of the cultists moved as the blood spread out, filling up the cracks between the stones and soaking into the materials that covered their knees.

They watched with wonder as the air shuddered and sparked; as space folded in on itself to allow small glimpses of something that lay beyond. Blue flames flitted from the source, vibrating dangerously in the air as they threatened to engulf the room. The ground shook violently, the vibrations spreading up the walls, and the bricks beneath their knees began to split, pushed apart as ground from deep below forced its way up to view the spectacle. Three quick flashes of light followed, bright enough to force the eyes of the otherwise motionless crowd to squint in pain.

Just as suddenly as it began, it came to an end. The room was left even darker than before, the candles that had managed to remain lit once again the only source of light. The leader of the group pulled down his hood, his dark fringe falling out over the front of his face. He took a single, slow step forward, a look of astonishment engraved on his face.

“You came.”


Chapter Views: 9736




Please note: If you are using IE (particularly IE9) and having problems with the review form, try turning off text editor. Otherwise, try a different browser.