The Chosen Two Archive
A Buffy/Faith Fanfiction Community

The Chosen Two Archives

BROWSE BY:

Relationship [279]
Season [232]
Character
Genre

Archive Links:

Twitter
Awards
Tumblr
Links

Site Info

Members: 1539
Series: 20
Stories: 290
Chapters: 1551
Word count: 7910064
Authors: 59
Reviews: 2554
Reviewers: 156
Newest Member: evesock
 

Search





At the Crossroads of Faith by SilentlySlaying
[Reviews - 33]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +

 

When she awoke, Buffy had a sneaking suspicion that she had rested her eyes for slightly longer than originally planned. She sat up gingerly before attempting to stretch out a knot from her neck; apparently sleeping hunched over a table was not great posture. Giles was sat behind the library counter, taking sips from the mug cradled in his hands.

“Mmm, what time is it?” she asked sleepily, drawing his attention.

“Good morning.” He glanced down at his watch. “A little after seven. Did you sleep well?”

She lazily nodded a reply. “Somehow.”

“Good. And I have good news. I found something promising regarding the Shards of Ursula.” He gestured downward to something out of her sight. Night time reading material, she suspected. “Powerful magic rarely comes without a price, and it would seem these are no exception. They feed off the life source of others, sapping energy from their victims to enhance their power. Given their inactivity as of late, I think it's safe to assume they won't be anywhere close to full strength.”

Buffy let that digest. “So the good news is that the mayor is going to have to kill a few dozen people before he destroys the world?” she teased. Her own perkiness took her by surprise. She must have needed the sleep more than she realized, and having spilled her worries to Giles hadn't hurt either.

“Precisely!” he answered, upbeat despite her mocking.

She raised an eyebrow and smirked. “Gee, Giles, I know it hasn't been the best week ever, but I think we're setting our standards just a little too low here.”

“All I'm saying is that we still have time. Rounding up enough people in a discrete manner would be difficult enough for anyone, yet alone someone in the public spotlight.”

That made sense, she thought, and she decided to let him off the hook. “So what's the plan?”

If he had one, he didn't get a chance to share it. Buffy's head turned to the library door as it swung open. Wesley entered first, moving with a confident march. He was followed closely by two others she didn't recognise, both of whom were dressed in smart, grey suits. A fourth man appeared at the back, and the smile dropped from her face. It really wasn't going to be her week.

“Ms Summers,” came the flat greeting from Quentin Travers as she caught his eye. He smiled at her, and she glared in return. His attention moved on as he scanned the room, his eyes landing on Giles. “Rupert.”

Buffy was quick to her feet, her eyes glued to Quentin while the troupe of watchers positioned themselves nearby. “Maybe I wasn't clear enough last time,” she warned.

His face remained indifferent as he met her look, and his lack of concern only served to anger her more.

“Calm down now, dear. My apologies for the unexpected intrusion, but you needn't worry. We're not here for you.”

“Then why are you here?” Giles asked as he stepped out from behind the desk, moving around to stand beside Buffy. He leant back against the table and crossed his arms, and they both awaited a response.

Buffy knew the answer before it came. In her experience the council were pretty single-minded, and if she wasn't their concern then last she checked that left only one other Slayer.

“To help, of course. It has become apparent to us that Faith is out of control, and so we are here to resolve the matter.” Quentin said, little in the way of emotion showing.

“We can handle Faith,” Buffy replied firmly. She didn't need help from the council, and she wanted it even less.

“Is that so? From what Wesley tells me, it would seem that things have deteriorated considerably since the council last intervened.”

“And we all know what a resounding success that was,” Buffy scoffed.

“Yes, well, that was unfortunate, but we underestimated just how far Faith had fallen. This time we are better equipped to deal with the situation.”

Something must have shown on Buffy's face, because Quentin continued. “There is no need to be concerned. It is in the council's best interests to see that this reaches an amicable conclusion.”

Buffy found little comfort from his words. “Meaning?”

His condescending look suggested she should already know. “If Faith cooperates then this can can come to a peaceful conclusion, and she can return with us to England for rehabilitation. If she does not – well, I'm sure you understand.”

She liked the sound of that even less. The chances of Faith cooperating with anybody were somewhere between none and, well, what was less than none?

“All I ask from you is an idea on where we might find her,” Quentin continued. “I have agents searching Sunnydale as we speak, but proceedings could move along far quicker if you would be so kind at to point us in the right direction. I believe it would be in all of our best interests if you cooperated. Especially Faith's.”

Buffy wasn't sure if that was a veiled threat against Faith, or if the man just sounded sleaze by default. Either way she had no interest in helping them, even if she had actually known where Faith might be. “You know what, she did mention something about Disney Land.” She laid the sarcasm on thick to make sure Quentin got the point loud and clear.

He scowled in distaste before trying again. “Mr Giles, perhaps you could be more insightful?”

Giles rubbed the bridge of his nose, appearing to give considerable thought to the matter before he responded. “As I seem to recall, I no longer work for you, so why the bloody hell would I answer any of your questions?” he said finally, and Buffy didn't bother to resist a smirk.

Quentin did not seem to share her amusement, and he gave Giles a disapproving look. Buffy briefly found herself wondering why Giles didn't get a scowl.

“I would expect that level of immaturity from her, Rupert, but not from you. But if you change your mind, you know how to reach us.” Giles didn't respond, leaving a brief silence between them. “We'll be in touch.”

“Really,” Buffy said, “there's no need to go out of your way.”

Quentin didn't take the bait, instead nodding a good-bye to Wesley. “Mr Pryce.” Wesley gave an overly firm nod in return. Quentin turned and made his way out of the library, his two other companions scurrying after him.

“Giles, we need to talk,” Buffy said promptly. “Alone,” she added as she shot Wesley an annoyed look.

“I think not!” Wesley said. “In fact, I expressly forbid it. Anything you want to say to Mr. Giles, you can say in front of me.”

She took a step toward him. “I'm having trouble putting all my thoughts into words right now, but if you want I can show you how I feel.” Her tone wasn't aggressive, but the warning was still there.

It was enough to make Wesley take a step back, even though there was still plenty of space between him and Buffy. “I just want to help,” he said defensively. “Faith is my responsibility, and...”

His voice trailed off, and Buffy watched his deflated eyes drop. She couldn't help but feel a touch of sympathy for him. She knew he wasn't the only one who had made mistakes when it came to Faith. He sounded sincere, and she could do with all the help she could get. Still, she couldn't trust him completely. Not while he still worked for the council, and especially not while Faith was in such a volatile state.

“OK, if you want to help, stay here. Keep track of what the council are up to. If they get any leads on Faith, come find us.”

“I'm not sure if that would be appropriate given--” he began.

“Wesley!” she snapped, stopping him short. They did not have time to waste.

“OK, OK,” he conceded. More upbeat, he added, “I will keep you fully apprised of the situation.”

“Thank you,” she said sincerely, before looking to Giles. “Let's go. We need to find Willow.”

----------

The computer lab had been the first port of call for Buffy and Giles, but when that was a bust Buffy had suggested they head for the cafeteria instead. Students were appearing in dribs and drabs as the two of them made their way through the corridors, but there was still some time before class began and so far Willow was nowhere among them.

“Damnit,” Buffy said. “She's the poster girl for eager learners. Why is today the day she actually shows up on time?”

Giles checked his watch. “I'm sure she'll be here soon. What do you need her for?”

“Computer witchery. Actual witchery. Whatever can point me to Faith the fastest.”

“I see,” he said evenly. “And when you find Faith?”

Buffy gave him a puzzled look. Did she really need to explain?

She recognised the look on his face; she'd seen it plenty of times before. Worry. “Your heart is in the right place, a-and your faith is commendable,” he said, in a cautious manner that suggested there was more to come. “However I'm not convinced you've given serious consideration to the idea that Faith may not want your help.”

Buffy stopped walking and could only glare. It wasn't a ridiculous notion by any means, but Faith had already given her a sign, of sorts, and for the time being she needed to cling to that. She waited until Giles stopped and faced her. “I thought you were on board?” she accused him.

Giles raised a hand in defence. “I am, Buffy, really. All I'm saying is that you need to be cautious. I'm sure I needn't remind you that she saved your life once before, only to go on to offer her services to the mayor. You may very well be the one thing that still links her to the girl she once was, but there is no guarantee that she won't decide to sever that tie. She is clearly deteriorating quickly, and if you give her an opening--”

“I know,” she cut in, her voice much louder than intended. She glanced around quickly, making sure she hadn't gained an audience with the outburst. “Don't you think I've thought about that? Every scenario that plays out in my head ends in bloodshed. I'm the slayer; killing is pretty much what I do. Vampires, demons, Angel.” She paused as she let her own words sink in. “But I'm not going to screw up again. I'm not expecting a declaration of unity, Giles; I just want – I just need another chance to make this right.”

“Now, Buffy, you can't hold yourself responsible for Faith's situation,” he tried, but she was having none of it.

“Can't I? The mayor didn't come for her, Giles. She went to him. Because she didn't have anyone else. Because she didn't think I cared.” Then, for the first time, she found herself able to admit something, not only out loud, but also to herself. “Because I was too busy to care,” she finished, with a belief that left little room for argument.

Giles watched her silently, his soft eyes leading the sorrowful expression on his face.

“Hey guys.”

Buffy spun to find Willow stood with a nervous smile on her face. “Will!” Lunging forward, Buffy wrapped her arms around the other girl. She didn't know how much Willow had overheard; she was just glad the girl had arrived.

Willow let out a small gasp of surprise as she was almost bowled over. “I missed you too?” she said slowly.

Buffy let her go and took a step back to find Willow's eyes questioning her. She wasted no time in getting down to business. “I'm glad you're here. I need your help.”

A grin instantly spread across Willow's face. “Sure, Buffy, what's up?”

----------

When the three of them arrived in the cafeteria, they found Xander sat at a table enjoying an unhealthy breakfast. After a quick greeting, Buffy gave Willow and Xander a condensed version of the situation.

“So what can I do?” Willow asked.

“I need you to track down Faith for me. Go online, do a spell, whatever works,” Buffy replied.

Willow's brow wrinkled. “Don't we kinda already know where she lives?”

Buffy shook her head. “No. I swung by her place. She's gone, and it looked like she won't be back there.”

“You went to her hotel room?” Giles asked.

Oh right, Buffy thought; she may have forgotten to mention that to anyone. “It's no big deal, just recon,” she lied.

The plain look on Giles' face suggested he viewed it as somewhat of a deal, and Buffy was sure he was holding back from saying anything more.

“OK, but she could be anywhere,” Willow said. “I know it's only Sunnydale, but it could still take a while to come up with anything concrete.”

“The mayor's paying for her place, and it's somewhere flash. Close to city hall, but not next door or anything. Maybe 5-10 minutes drive?” As Buffy offered the information she'd gleaned from her run-in with Faith, she could feel Giles' watchful eyes on her. She didn't like keeping details from him, but while she knew he wanted to help, he had already made it clear that he was more concerned for her well being than for Faith's. She could understand that, and she appreciated his concern, but it wasn't going to help bring Faith back.

“So what's the plan?” Xander asked, his interest perking up having finished his chocolate bar. “We wait until she's sleeping, sneak on in, you bash her over the head, and we deliver her to Sunnydale's finest?” He paused, and his eyebrows rose. “Hey, that actually sounds pretty good.” He looked around at each of them, but plain faces were the only acknowledgement he received. “Or not?” he said, dispirited, and he gave a small shake of his head.

Buffy found a twisted amusement in the comment, and she did well to suppress an incredulous laugh. If the police were after Faith then it was probably for the exact same reason they'd be after her. As far as she knew, Faith's activities had gone untracked by all until last night.

“Actually,” Buffy began, after it seemed Giles wasn't going to fill him in, “I go over there – while she's still awake – and we talk this out.”

“If you want to mock my plan, go right ahead, but know this: sleeping people rarely fight back.” Buffy's face remained neutral, and Xander's smile slipped. “You are mocking my plan, right?”

The sound of the school bell filled the room, followed by the scraping of chairs and the shuffling of feet as students began making their way to their first class. The four of them remained exactly where they were, and all eyes were trained on Buffy.

“Have you forgotten the small detail where she's a raging sociopath?” Xander asked, his voice raising in pitch and volume all the way.

Buffy looked to Willow for support, but the girl averted her eyes down to her lap where she was busy twiddling her thumbs.

“Look guys,” Buffy began, realizing she was on her own. “I know that Faith is in pretty deep, but she's not the first one to lose her way. Remember last summer when I got back from L.A.? I was way out of line; I almost got you all killed.”

“That was different,” Xander said, instantly jumping to her defence.

“It was,” Buffy agreed, “because I had you guys to bring me back.” She gave Xander an earnest smile. “Especially you, Xan. When the anointed one took the others you didn't pull any punches, but you still believed in me. You trusted me to set things right.” She looked Willow in the eye. “And all of you forgave me, no questions asked.” Lastly, she let her eyes rest on Giles. “Without you all standing by my side I honestly don't know where I'd be. Faith doesn't have that, I get that now. She doesn't have anyone or anything to fight for. She's on her own, and maybe she's given up hope. But I haven't.”

Her voice threatened to betray her, but she forced herself to remain firm as she finished. “And if you guys don't want to help I won't hold it against you, but I'm going to do this, with or without you.”

There was silence as her three friends regarded each other, and Buffy waited uncomfortably as the seconds ticked by. After a moment they simultaneously turned to face her.

Giles cleared his throat before speaking. “R-right then, well we had better get to work. Xander, why don't you and I start by compiling a list of all the affluent areas in range of city hall.”

Xander nodded. “There's a bunch of Sunnydale property propaganda in Mr. Penson's room. He's in charge of the whole 'you've finished school and your parents are going to kick you out – what are you going to do next' escapade. They're bound to tell us all the places us mere peasants can't afford to stay in. I'll go grab them, and if I'm really lucky, escape without a game of 20 questions: Xander's Future edition.”

Willow spoke next as she reached into her rucksack. “I'll get into the city records. If we can narrow down the search we should be able to see if the mayor has links to any property in those areas.” She pulled out her laptop and began setting it up on the table as Xander rose from his seat.

“Hey,” Buffy said, gathering their collective attention again. “Thank you.”

Giles gave her a small smile. “Perhaps you should go home. We can take care of this, and we'll let you know the moment we find anything.” He nodded to her top. “Besides, if any teachers see you like that – especially Principal Snyder – you might have a hard time convincing them you haven't been fighting.”

“Which would be a real shame when you're so close to getting out with only a slightly smeared permanent record,” Xander added, gesturing with his thumb and finger about as far apart as he could manage.

Buffy looked over her shoulder, but she couldn't see much of the damage. “Oh yeah, kinda forgot about that.”


Chapter Views: 8822




Please note: If you are using IE (particularly IE9) and having problems with the review form, try turning off text editor. Otherwise, try a different browser.