The Chosen Two Archive
A Buffy/Faith Fanfiction Community

The Chosen Two Archives

BROWSE BY:

Relationship [279]
Season [232]
Character
Genre

Archive Links:

Twitter
Awards
Tumblr
Links

Site Info

Members: 1539
Series: 20
Stories: 290
Chapters: 1551
Word count: 7910064
Authors: 59
Reviews: 2554
Reviewers: 156
Newest Member: evesock
 

Search





The Chosen One by lizardmm
[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +

POV Buffy

I can't believe she's here. I mean…I know why she's here. Willow contacted Giles somehow, assuming he knew where she had been holed up. It hurt a lot when Willow suggested we contact them both. Like I wasn't up to handling our current situation. Like I wasn't prepared to do what had to be done.

I wasn't so upset about her contacting Giles. I know it had been my "suggestion" that he leave Scotland; but having him back now makes things seem a little more manageable, even if all he does is look flustered and clean his glasses. It's comfortable. It's like we never left high school or Sunnydale. It reminds me of the days when all of this was so simple – Me, slayer. You, vampire. You, dust.

Our relationship had strained since he came back to help us defeat the First. I had outgrown the need for a Watcher by then. And for the most part, besides that little brain fart they all had, he readily acknowledged that I was the leader. But even he turned against me in the end, insisting that it was no longer my position to hold – even after all the sacrifices I'd made for this duty, this responsibility – he was adamant that I step down.

It stung, yes. But not so much as when he told me who was destined to take my place. So I strongly suggested he leave Scotland. I couldn't trust him not to turn everyone against me again. It had happened once in Sunnydale; I wouldn't allow it again. So now he's back.

And so is she. And my body can't stop buzzing.

When she first arrived in Sunnydale, I could feel her. Wherever she went, even when she helped the Mayor, I could always feel her presence, feel that connection. I thought it was just a Slayer thing, but now, surrounded by hundreds of slayers everyday, I'm not so sure.

As much as I hate it, I feel connected to every one of the new girls – all part of the slayer bond. It feels ancient and constant. Something solid like a large rock or something. Okay. I'm not good with analogies. It's primitive, but contained. Like…a large oak tree or a grandmother. I don't think I'm explaining this right.

But with her, it's always been anything but reassuring. It feels ancient and primitive too, but this wild. It's a chaotic buzz that radiates through all my muscles, making my body feel just a few degrees warmer than it should be. Okay, so it's definitely not a Slayer thing.

New slayers are always being shipped in and out of the various compounds around the world. I never question where they come from or why some of them look slightly bruised upon arrival. I keep telling myself that they're just foot-soldiers – an army that badly needs training – not equals, not new friends. Because if I get too close, it'll only hurt more when they die. Or betray me.

You think I'd be used to betrayal by now.

I know this is all my fault. You'd never get me to admit it out loud though. If I hadn't slept with Satsu, if I hadn't given her some reason to hope that I felt the same way about her, this could have all been avoided. Without someone on the inside, those Tokyo vamps would never have been able take their plan to such extremes.

And I understand what it's like to have that kind of forbidden love – to love someone so much, but know that nothing will come of it – believe me, I'm Forbidden-Love-Girl. Try being in love with a vampire. And I do owe Satsu. I am grateful to her – who knows how long I would have been comatose without that "kiss of true love."

I don't know why I decided to sleep with her. Can I plead momentary insanity? I was just so scared that I'd lost another one – Twilight attacked us so quickly and so efficiently. I guess it was a mixture of relief that I hadn't gotten her dead and all those post-fighting hormones that finally got the best of me.

Yea, that's right. Slaying does make me hungry and horny – surprised much?

And sure I was curious. It's hard to be best friends with a lesbian and not even wonder what it would be like…so I let my mask slip. I let the slayer in me take over that night. And then Satsu betrayed us all when I wouldn't allow her in my heart.

But I don't hate her. No, I don't hate Satsu. I know how love can make you do the wacky. I know I should loathe her, but I haven't the energy to feel any kind of emotion toward her beyond pity. Yes, she betrayed us by siding with the Asian vamps; yes, she made the wrong decision in the end.

But Satsu never made me feel like a victim.

She never made me feel vulnerable.

I guess Satsu just never made me feel.

It's kind of ironic how everything turns out. The two women in my life who betrayed me and their calling; and now one of them is supposed to be our big hero. One of them is apparently going to make everything okay again. A Battle Royal between Satsu and Faith because everyone thinks Buffy is too fragile and too weak to do the job herself.

I can feel her in the next room. I could feel her as her flight brought her closer to Japan, my body responding right away, swimming in that humming sensation I get when I'm around her.

I just need to stop hating her long enough to trust her.

+++++

POV Faith

I really like showers. No, I like really, really love showers. Nothing washes away all the emotional grime of the day like a hot shower. Sometimes after a particularly trying day I'll just stand under the jets, the hot water turned way up, and feel my skin scald red hot.

I needed a shower in the worst way after my tete-a-tete with Buffy. Not only was I sticky from the long flight – I literally had to peel my leathers off my legs – but something about seeing that blonde again made me feel dirty all over. As if seeing her again made me re-hash all the shitty things I'd ever done to her and her friends; not to mention all the shady shit I've had to do lately under the guidance of Ripper.

Call me crazy, but I was psyched as hell that she'd responded to my entrance like that.

But before you do call me crazy, hear me out.

I was afraid she'd forgotten about me. Worried that I couldn't push her buttons anymore. Worried that after all this time, she felt nothing toward me.

Because even though I know she would kill me if she were capable of killing a human, at least I know I can still make her feel something… even if it's Contempt.

I'm not going to kid myself and hope that after all of this is over the two of us can try to be friends. No. There's too much history between us for that. I'll do what I came here for, and then I'll go back to Cleveland. And wait until she needs me again.

Because she does. Need me. Of that I'm sure.

+++++

"Coffee. Now."

The young slayers in the Tokyo kitchen scrambled quickly to accommodate the dark slayer. They'd all heard the stories of Faith Lehane – like a bedtime story of warning, or the boogie-monster to get them to follow the rules – "You'd better train well today – you don't want Faith Lehane to get you." No one was eager to see if the tales about the woman were true.

The group assembled early that morning around a long wooden table in what looked to be a dining room. Buffy, Willow, Giles, and Faith were joined by some of the more experienced potentials – many of whom had fought by their side as early as the battle against The First in Sunnydale.

Buffy sat at the head of the table while the original Sunnydale group sat interspersed among the Potentials. No one was quite ready to slide into old routines just yet and commit to such a visual image of solidarity.

Kennedy sat scowling, her arms crossed – perhaps out of all the former slayers it was she who had been the most angry about losing her slayer powers. She glared across the table at Faith, silently cursing the dark woman's good fortune of being called not by the scythe, but by the Powers That Be. Willow sat next to her girlfriend, her hand on the bitter woman's thigh, hoping to provide some comfort.

"We strike tonight. No more waiting to see how else these vamps plan on using the scythe. Even though you all aren't as strong as Faith or me, we still need you. This is what you've trained for – this is what you were born to do." Buffy's face was all seriousness and steel.

Faith smirked to herself. The blonde was always so good at these inspirational speeches. "I wonder if she practices in the mirror beforehand," she mused to herself.

Buffy continued, "Recon informs us that they're still holed up in that skyscraper downtown."

Giles sighed loudly, interrupting, "When did Evil get so high-tech? In my day, respectable vampires lived in isolated crypts or abandoned warehouses."

Ronda snicked, "Welcome to the 21st century, Giles."

Buffy flashed the two a look of mild annoyance before continuing. "Satsu's with them and she's got the scythe – a dangerous weapon in the hands of any slayer. We wait until sunset. Xander should be back by then with the information we need.

Faith raised her eyebrows in surprise, "Yea, where is the Xand-man? And what's this about him having something we need?"

Willow's cheeks flushed a little as she turned to respond to Faith. "He –uh – he's working with Dracula to find a way to take away these Japanese vampires' ability to shift forms and turn into air."

Faith leaned back in her chair and laughed. "Why am I not surprised? What's with you guys and getting help from vampires? I mean, sure – Angel, I get – with the soul and all. But Dracula?" The brunette flashed a rare youthful smile. "And really, there actually is a Dracula? Why didn't anyone tell me? Are leprechauns real too?"

Buffy narrowed her eyes, "A little less commentary from the Peanut Gallery would be appreciated."

Faith propped her hands behind her head and grinned widely at the blonde. "Yes ma'am."

The group quickly turned when they heard a gasp and the sound of something hitting the wooden floor. Xander stood in the doorway, shock splayed across his more recently chiseled features, his eyes fixed on the seated brunette slayer. "She's back?"

Faith wrestled with her emotions quickly before flashing the boy a cocky grin. "In the flesh, Xand-man." She allowed her eyes to quickly scan his form – he'd lost a lot of weight since the destruction of Sunnydale. "I see only having one eye's been good to you," she purred.

A caped, dark figure pushed past the boy and into the room. "Enough of this nonsense, Man-Servant," he growled. "Hurry up. I can stand your little group only for so much longer before I snap all your necks and let your blood rush down my throat."

Faith's spidey-senses prickled. She stood up, pushing her chair back. "Dracula." It wasn't a question – it was a challenge. The caped vampire faced the girl and his lips curled into a cruel smile. "Ahhh…the Dark Slayer. I so hoped we would finally meet face to face. There is much for you to learn from me." He curled his fingers and beckoned her to step closer. "Come with me and I'll show you what you really are."

"Thrall? Really?" She smirked at the vampire and dismissed him with a wave of her hand, turning to sit down again.

Buffy looked mildly surprised at Faith's response, but shaking her head she continued the meeting. "Xander. What'd you find out?"

Xander bent down to pick up the scroll he had dropped in his surprise of seeing Faith seated so easily among the rest of the group. He felt his empty eye-socket twitch, but if Buffy had allowed the dark girl into their circle, there must be a good reason.

"There's a spell. And a crystal. And some sucking."

+++++

POV Faith

The girl in my bathroom mirror looks tired. We're about ready to leave the Slayer compound and head for the city. This jetlag is killer, but I know that it's more than that because one number keeps running through my head. Thirty-eight. And I can't shake it.

I'm ready for the fight. I've got on my best leathers and some kick ass boots. And I've got my knife. Thirty-eight.

It's the one the Mayor gave me all those years ago. The one that Buffy gutted me with when I poisoned Angel. Thirty-eight.

I know it's kind of ironic and twisted that I use it now to take down the "bad" slayers, but I guess I like to think that even a weapon can be rehabilitated for good. Thirty-eight.

I'm not worried about Satsu being a better fighter than me. Thirty-eight.

If it's my time to go, then so be it. It's been one hell of a ride.

Thirty-eight.

When I kill Satsu, she'll be number thirty-eight.

+++++

TBC

 


Chapter Views: 11928




Please note: If you are using IE (particularly IE9) and having problems with the review form, try turning off text editor. Otherwise, try a different browser.