The Chosen Two Archive
A Buffy/Faith Fanfiction Community

The Chosen Two Archives

BROWSE BY:

Relationship [278]
Season [231]
Character
Genre

Archive Links:

Twitter
Awards
Tumblr
Links

Site Info

Members: 1535
Series: 20
Stories: 289
Chapters: 1550
Word count: 7908585
Authors: 58
Reviews: 2554
Reviewers: 156
Newest Member: Bablezmith
 

Search





Enemy Mine by areanna123
[Reviews - 11]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Story notes:

Disclaimer: I do not own BtVS

*
Okay, so, this was beyond the realm of not good, Buffy acknowledged as she flew roughly seven feet in the air, and crashed into the side of a mausoleum.

Buffy struggled to her feet slowly as the remaining three vampires laughed mockingly. It seemed like the closer they got to Graduation, the bolder the Demon population seemed to be. She couldn't really see why these guys were so confident, their group had originally had six members before she slayed the other three.

Buffy had been doing her nightly patrol, and was already a little off from several fights beforehand and a sprained wrist, when she had caught sight of this group. They were just hanging out in the cemetery, as though they owned the place! It was as if they had no respect for the fact that they were in the Slayer's territory. Really.

And now they were crowing and cheering about how they were going to 'Slay the Slayer.' As if. So what if one of them had gotten a lucky hit in? That didn't mean anything. Neither did all the blood that was slowly sliding down her neck from various head wounds. Or the blurry vision and nausea.

She could sense more than see one of them getting closer, and lashed out instinctively with her stake. She could tell that she had hit her mark when she heard a scream, and was showered in vamp. dust. Buffy didn't really get to revel in her victory, though, as one of the others hit her from behind, and the world went spinning. Well, it was more that Buffy went spinning, she discovered as she hit the ground face first, and all the air left her lungs at once.

Buffy could tell that she was well on her way to losing consciousness, and her eyes start to slowly slid shut when she heard the slight ruffle of what sounded like a plastic bag. Weird. It was followed by the, not at all slight, sounds of thuds and yells. Buffy could feel a fight going on around her, but found herself incapable of moving. So, joining in just didn't appear to be something that was going to happen.

Then there was nothing but the sound of footsteps leisurely approaching her.

Buffy got her eyes to open, well most of the way, and they landed on a pair of familiar boots. Ha, and she had thought that this night couldn't get any worse. It was official, the universe hated her.

One of the boots raised and prodded, kicked more like, her ribs, apparently trying to see if she was awake. Buffy groaned in pain, and found the strength to flop onto her back, admittedly in a somewhat undignified manner. She looked up into the eyes of her backstabbing friend, turned enemy, who had just saved her life.

"Faith."

**

Faith grinned, and looked her over before replying.

"Well, you remember me, so that's probably a good sign. For you anyway. Wasn't sure you would, what with the way those few measly vamps. were kicking the crap out of ya."

Faith said the last part gleefully, and mimed a punch.

At least one of us is having a good time Buffy thought wryly, and rolled her eyes. She started to sit up slowly, and noticed Faith watching with interest. Her smirk grew every time Buffy winced or groaned.

"So, are you here to kill me yourself, or have you had a sudden change of heart and want to come back to team good?" Buffy questioned sarcastically as she leaned back against a headstone.

"Neither. Also, you sound ridiculously arrogant when you call yourself the leader of team 'good.' That was one of the most annoying parts about hanging out with you guys, listening to you all wax on about how 'heroic' you all are."

"We fight demons and save the world. Regularly. What else would you call us?"

Buffy could tell she had made a mistake when she saw Faith's amused expression. She looked ready to jump all over that question, so Buffy spoke first.

"Never mind, stupid question. As colorful as I'm sure your description of me and my friends would be, I'm more interested in knowing why you saved me."

"I didn't save you!" Faith looked beyond insulted that Buffy would say such a thing, and crossed her arms defensively.

"The vampires were going to kill me, and then you killed them. What do you think that was?" Buffy asked slowly, as though to a small child.

Faith's eyes narrowed to slits at Buffy's condescension, but also uncrossed her arms, and let them swing by her sides as she rocked back and forth slightly, on her feet. Apparently throwing the fact that only one of them could actually stand unaided at the moment in Buffy's face. At least it seemed to be calming her down.

"I wasn't trying to save you, though. I just didn't want anyone else getting the pleasure and bragging rights that would come from offin ya, is all. I wasn't helping you."

"So, what's stopping you now?"

Buffy belatedly realized that now probably wasn't the best time to be needling Faith about killing her, as Faith shot her an annoyed yet amused smirk and eyebrow raise combination. Still, she was curious, and there was really no telling when she would get another chance to talk with Faith now that she was working with the bad guys. She felt a flash of anger as she thought about that, but tried to school her face into a neutral expression, and looked up at Faith expectantly.

It was obvious that Faith was just as good at reading people as she always had been. She had clearly noticed Buffy's not so pleasant feelings, but she reacted about the same way as she had back when they were sort of friends, and she did or said something annoying. A little hurt when Buffy took it badly, but mostly pleased with herself. Buffy had expected a more negative reaction, but Faith seemed to be feeling complacent now that they had established that they both knew that Faith had the power advantage. For the time being, of course.

She sat down next to Buffy easily, as though they were just two friends hanging out.

"It just doesn't really feel like my win if you can barely sit up before I even touch you. When we throw down, I want you to be in perfect health. That way everybody will know that I'm just better than you, y'know?"

"So, this is about you killing me yourself."

Faith gave a 'well, duh' look, before remembering the beginning of their conversation, and paused to think about it before answering.

"Yeah, but I was referring to the not killing you right now thing, as opposed to thinking about all that future stuff."

Buffy sighed resentfully, "long term planning, never your strong suit. And thanks for clarifying."

The other girl appeared aware of that flaw of hers, and nodded in agreement before answering.

"No problem."

Buffy studied Faith's profile for a moment, before something else occurred to her.

"What are you doing out here anyway? Didn't think the Mayor wanted you around for actual Slaying."

"Oh, yeah, thanks B., knew I forgot somethin."

Faith hopped up and jogged to a grocery bag she'd abandoned by an open grave. Buffy didn't know what to expect, but Faith sitting back down next to her, and pulling out a package of Twizzlers, was not something she could honestly say she ever would have imagined. Faith then opening said package, and holding it out for Buffy to take some, seemed even more ridiculous, but it happened.

Buffy wasn't sure what was more shocking, that she was being offered candy by her mortal enemy, or the fact that it was Faith sharing food. When was the last time Faith had ever offered to share anything? The thought that Buffy couldn't actually remember a time when Faith had anything to share occurred, and she winced internally. The candy probably wasn't poisonous, so Buffy shrugged and took one.

"Thanks."

Faith nodded, and pulled out a comic book.

"Seriously?"

"What?" Faith's jaw clenched and she crossed her arms defensively (again), comic book still in one hand, and candy in the other. Buffy decided not to comment on that.

"Nothing, I just really didn't expect my night to go like this. You've pretty thoroughly explained the not going ahead and trying to murder me (at the moment) thing, so I get that, but why are you still here?"

"My luck isn't always that great. The way I figure it, the second I leave you here you're probably gonna be vamp. chow, and I really don't want that. So, you're stuck with me, Princess. Unless you're done being a wuss, then I can just walk you home."

"I'm not a wuss, I'm concussed."

"Same difference."

Buffy rolled her eyes, but tried to stand anyway. It seemed to be working, the bleeding had stopped and she felt a lot more clearheaded, if weak. Faith stood next to her, but made no move to help. Watching Buffy fall on her face probably would be pretty enjoyable for her. Buffy could even see Faith's fingers twitching slightly, as though she was itching to push her over. Buffy pointedly stared at that hand. Faith noticed, grinned oddly guiltily, and ran her fingers through her hair.

"Alright, let's go. I'm headed to the library, though, not home. I think the Gang's still there, they were still researching the..."

Buffy trailed off before saying the word 'Ascension,' but Faith seemed to get what she was going to say, though she didn't obviously react. She just shrugged, stretched so that her midriff bearing top slid up even more, which Buffy definitely did not notice, and made a gesture for Buffy to lead the way.

Buffy took a few steps, and stumbled slightly, grabbed Faith's arm for balance, and then pushed her away. It wasn't that Buffy had ever had a problem with Faith being in her personal space bubble, but she didn't want Faith getting the idea that she was okay with her just because they weren't currently beating each other to a bloody pulp.

It wasn't that long ago that Faith had chained her up in Angel's mansion, and threatened to torture her. It wasn't something that she had forgotten. The idea of offering to forget about it, and move on, letting Faith rejoin the group was tempting, though. Not something she would have thought she would feel just a few weeks ago, but that whole 'not knowing what you have until it's gone' thing seemed to be happening here.

***

They were in the hallway outside the library, and Buffy could make out the sound of the Scooby gang chatting. Faith heard them too, and looked more guarded, and angry than she had all night. Buffy could tell that she was tempted to stroll right in, and start something.

"Save it for our future fight. You don't want to gloat before you've won. It's like that saying, 'don't count your chickens before they've hatched.'"

Faith stared at her for a second.

"I have no idea what chickens have to do with anything. Maybe ya do have brain damage."

"I don't, its a thing."

"Sure."

Buffy shuffled her feet uncertainly, not sure what to do now. She was feeling a lot better, so a large part of her was considering just going ahead and punching Faith, but there was that other half that wanted to just forget about all of the bad, and offer to forgive Faith. She opened her mouth to say so, but for some reason she couldn't get the words out. She ended up clearing her throat awkwardly, nodding, and heading to the door, feeling like a coward. She didn't get more than a step away when she felt Faith's hand wrap around her wrist, and she stepped in close to her.

"What? No goodnight kiss? I was a perfect gentlewoman, walked you to the door and everything."

Faith smiled teasingly. Buffy breathed out slowly, almost painfully. This, messing around the way they had before everything, acting like everything was fine, when it really really wasn't...it hurt. She couldn't resist responding, though. Playing into the illusion, just for a moment.

"Not on the first date."

"Next time, then."

Faith answered, and grinned approvingly, while shaking her head in mock disappointment. She started walking backwards before turning away to watch where she was going when she got midway down the hall. Buffy stayed watching her go until the school doors swung shut.

****

The second that she walked through the library entrance she heard gasps, and looked at the others, confused.

"Buffy! What happened? Are you okay?" Willow asked, getting up and scanning her over. It took Buffy a second to realize that she was still covered in dried blood. Between how used to being in this state she was, and how thrown she had been by Faith, and pain, her appearance had just slipped her mind.

"Oh, yeah, now I'm pretty much fine. It was touch and go for a little there, but I'm good."

"Really? Because you don't look okay. I mean you always look good, and everything, but I mean injured, you." Xander stuttered awkwardly. Giles and Willow looked at each other, and rolled their eyes.

"I'm fine. Thanks for the concern, really, there was an incident with vampires at the cemetery, but things worked out, I guess."

Buffy said thoughtfully, mulling over everything that had happened, and leaning back against the counter by the weapons cage. She wasn't sure if she was ready to say anything about Faith to them, and pushed away walking to the door.

"Uh, guys, I'm a mess, I'm just going to head to the bathroom, get cleaned up."

"You have a spare outfit here, don't you? Want to get that?" Willow asked, concerned.

"Right! I totally forgot about that, thanks Will." Buffy was starting to calm down, and hurried to behind the book checkout counter, and pulled out a gym bag.

"Buffy, if anything of consequence happened, you can tell us." Giles said softly.

Buffy paused, her eyebrows already going up as she prepared to lie, and tried to look as innocent as possible, but hesitated before the words were spoken. Lately, lying had harmed more than helped. She sighed as she realized that she was going to have to tell them.

"I...Faith was there."

"That's what happened? She attacked you! Why didn't you say anything before, we have to do something." Xander said, jumping to the worst, yet most logical conclusion, as per usual.

"Buffy, you should have said so immediately." Giles looked both critical and bemused.

"Faith didn't hurt me. In fact, if she hadn't been there, I probably would have died. Hence me not saying anything. I'm kind of confused."

"Faith. The same Faith we all know and hate? Evil Faith? She saved your life? What, just out of the kindness of her shriveled, blackened, heart?" Willow said skeptically.

"Well, yes, but no. Not the out of kindness thing, but she did still save me." Buffy said defensively, then wondered why she cared.

"So, she saved you out of meanness?" Xander clarified.

"Yes."

"And that makes sense how?" Xander asked.

"Faith says that she wants to be the one to kill me." Buffy found herself more annoyed with Faith's comments now that she wasn't in the room to make things all confusing.

"Well, it's good that you're alright, but that is concerning to say the least." Giles folded his arms contemplatively.

"I thought so too. It wasn't all bad, though. We talked, a little, she's still obnoxious by the way. She gave me candy."

"What kind?" Xander asked.

"Twizzlers."

"Cool! Were they drugged, by any chance? Because you're not sounding like you hate her?" Willow cut in, raising her eyebrows.

"No! She ate some too, so they probably weren't. And I'm not fond of her at the moment or anything, but maybe her talk about killing me was just an excuse? She just didn't want to admit that she still cares? What if she wants to come back, eventually?" Buffy could tell that nobody was convinced, and she couldn't really blame them since she wasn't very sure of anything she was saying.

"We say 'sorry, but we don't hang out with murderers, try prison.'" Willow insisted seriously.

"She hasn't murdered anyone. Manslaughter at most." Buffy hedged.

"And all the other people she's hurt? They don't matter?" Xander asked looking into her eyes, and tracing his neck, seemingly without being aware that he was doing it.

"Of course they do. You do, but you're not the only she's hurt. I get it, and the things she's done are wrong, but if she's sorry, if she wants to try to make amends, then I want to make sure she has that chance." Buffy replied.

"That's admirable of you, Buffy, truly, but I would strongly caution you to not let your emotions cloud your judgement. There hasn't been any solid evidence that Faith has any interest in your forgiveness." Giles gave her sympathetic look, like he was sorry to have to burst her bubble.

Buffy sighed, and toyed with zipper on her gym bag, before looking at the others.

"Did you guys find out anything more about the Ascension?"

"Nada." Willow said, more gloomily than embittered, now.

Buffy nodded awkwardly, then made a gesture to her bag and the blood on the side of her head.

"I'm just gonna go change, after that I vote we head home, I think we're all kind of done, for now."

Willow and Xander nodded, neither looking at her, and Giles studied her with concern for a moment before doing the same.

*****

Buffy threw one vampire to side, to get to the other, and staked him cleanly, before turning back around to find the other one missing. She was worried for a second that he had gotten away, even though she had only been distracted for a moment, when she noticed Faith sitting casually on a headstone that was within arms reach of where Buffy had tossed the vampire.

"Did you steal my kill?"

"Didn't see your name on him." Faith said dryly, her lips twitching upwards at the corners.

"Are we fighting to the death, now?" Buffy asked casually, taking in Faith's relaxed posture, and lack of weapons, beyond a stake. It was possible that she would try to kill her with a stake, there would be a certain poetry to it, but Buffy doubted it. Faith was more about blades.

"Nah, it doesn't feel like the right time. I'm thinking Graduation Day. It would make a much better story." Faith looked like she was already planning exactly how she was going to tell said story.

"Ah, very true. You know what would make an even better story? The tale of a Slayer who lost her way for a while when tragedy struck, but came shining through in the end, and worked with her former friends to help save the world. It'd be great, everybody loves a good comeback story."

Faith sneered, but didn't walk away. Just stared at her boots, and crossed her arms, hugging herself, almost.

"So, what's up? I know you said you didn't want anyone else to get the honors of murdering me, but I didn't think that meant you were assigning yourself as my personal bodyguard."

"You know how cautious and overprotective I get." Faith was back to relaxed, now that Buffy was picking on her.

"Real reason, please."

"Boss doesn't let me kill nearly as vamps and demons as I need to. I might be the 'bad' one, but I'm still a Slayer, if I don't get a few good kills in I start goin a little nuts. This way I can just blame the kills on you. Sure, I might be spotted in the area where a bunch of his lackeys were taken out, but so were you. I at least get the benefit of the doubt from him, y'know, the way I didn't with some people."

Buffy rolled her eyes.

"Do you have no memory of anything you've done recently, or do you seriously believe that you're the victim here, despite that?"

"Aren't I? I'll admit that I haven't been...nice, recently, but you guys totally started it!" Faith insisted pointing at Buffy accusingly.

"What! I have no idea what you're talking about. What could we possibly have done to you to make you, so angry? Look, whatever it was, I'm sorry! There, are you happy now?"

"No. I'm not. Because the thing that I resent most about you, about all of you guys, is the fact that you don't know. You've never tried to look at things my way B., you'd rather just write me off, and go on with your merry lives."

"My 'merry life?' Seems like I'm not the only one who hasn't been paying attention. When has my life ever been 'merry,' please I'd really like to know?

"Was it when I died when I was sixteen? Oh, or how about the time I had to kill my boyfriend, you know, after he lost his soul, and started tormenting all the people I cared about? Or when my parents got divorced, and my dad abandoned me? A real swell time was when I saw my first Watcher murdered, by a vampire that I couldn't stop. You know, one of my favorite parties ended when it was attacked by zombies, a lot of the guests were killed, and all my friends ganged up on me to tell me how awful and selfish I am. Let's not forget how much fun I've been having recently, what with the only other Slayer in the world suddenly turning on me, and trying to take away everything I love. That, that right there, super fun.

"Just because I haven't gone through everything that you have, doesn't mean that I've had it easy." Buffy was breathing heavily by the time she had finished. She was still angry, but there was also this strange feeling of relief. She'd never really unloaded like that.

Faith looked almost scared, her eyes wide, and her eyebrows about as high as they could go. She was as still as Buffy had ever seen her. The silence stretched on, and Buffy was beginning to feel embarrassed. Vulnerable. Buffy crossed her arms, and leaned back.

"I didn't know a lot of that stuff. You never told me anything like that before." Faith was rubbing her hands together, playing with the rings on her fingers, but still looking straight at her. Buffy had to turn away.

"Yeah. I know. That was my fault, you tried to get to know me, I wasn't ready. I am really sorry about that."

Buffy's chest started to hurt as she held her breath unconsciously, and breathed out slowly. She waited for Faith to laugh at her or say something cruel, but she didn't. She tugged on the sleeve of her leather jacket, and ran her hand through her dark, straightened hair, before speaking.

"...Want to hit the next cemetery together?"

******

It had been two nights since Buffy had seen Faith when she was on patrol and heard the sound of a scuffle. She rushed around the corner just in time to see a vampire hit Faith from behind, and a second throw her into a tree. She crumpled to the ground.

Buffy stepped forward, and took them out fairly easily. She turned around, and saw Faith standing leaning against the tree. She looked a little mussed, had a couple of bruises, but appeared to be in fine health regardless.

"Sup, B., 'preciate the assist, but I had em on the ropes."

"Yeah, I could see that. Haven't seen you around lately, you've been staying out of trouble, right?" Buffy asked, raising her eyebrow.

"Of course." Faith said, holding her arms in a 'I'm an open book' gesture. She would have been able to pass for serious if Buffy wasn't so familiar with that mischievous glint in her eyes.

"Uh, huh. I thought your 'Boss' didn't wan't you slaying his minions."

"Rules only apply if you think you're going to get caught, and even then I think there's some wiggle room. Sides, I'm not really feeling the working with demons, thing, as much anymore. Feels unnatural."

"What does that mean?" Buffy asked, trying to smother any hope. It sounded like she was saying that she wasn't that happy with the Mayor.

"I've been thinking, and, just hypothetically, mind you, say I knew a way that might stop the Ascension, without killing my Boss. What would happen?"

Faith was staring at her intently, and Buffy was suddenly more nervous than any other that she had ever been alone with her. It felt like if she said one wrong thing, then game over. Faith had been softening to her lately, but not by enough to make Buffy feel particularly secure about her reaction, if she stuck her foot in her mouth.

"Let me clarify, hypothetically, you want to know if you could come back, and if you did, you want us to avoid killing the Mayor?"

"Yeah. I know how messed up this is, but he's really been good to me, B. But, I don't know, taking over the world or whatever the heck the plan is, it just doesn't seem like a great idea anymore. So, I guess I'm with you guys, I just don't want to help murder him, either."

"Look, whether you have information or not, or if your plan doesn't pan out by some freak chance, you can still come back, be friends or whatever we were, again. There's no buy-in, I just want you back. Though, you would admittedly be very beneficial, as well. And I don't honestly know if we can avoid killing your...Boss, but if there's a way, that doesn't allow him to remain a danger, then we can try it." Buffy looked at Faith earnestly.

"Tomorrow he wants me to pick up something for him, I don't know what it is exactly, but the way he was talking about it, his Ascension not's happening without it. His invulnerability only lasts til Graduation, if we can keep up it from him that long, then no Ascension, and he's just a regular guy who knows a few parlor tricks. You could take him."

"Sounds like a plan. We should tell the Scoobies."

"We?" Faith looked taken aback at the implication that she would have anything to do with Buffy's friends.

"Are you sure about that, B?"

"It is your plan, you should probably be the one to present it." Buffy said encouragingly.

"They're not going to like this."

"Can you blame them?"

"No, and that's kind of my point. Even I can see why they wouldn't want to make friendship bracelets with me, so I don't know how this is gonna work. I can't just take back what I did, so how am I gonna make this better? I can't. You should just do it."

"You're right, you can't take it back. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't try, though. It doesn't mean that they won't forgive you, or at least be able to work with you. Just give them a little time, I don't think you've broken things as badly as you think you have."

"What about you? I hurt you more than any of them, can you really say that you'd be okay with slaying side by side, again?" Faith looked like she wouldn't blame her if she said she couldn't. She glanced at her hands in disgust before she stared at Buffy, waiting for her reaction.

"Isn't that what we've been doing?" Buffy asked.

Faith gave a startled, but pleased smile at that, and shrugged.

"Guess so."

"This is really happening. You're good again." Buffy tried not to be so embarrassingly enthusiastic, but couldn't manage to turn it down by much. Faith seemed to be soaking in the approval though, so maybe it wasn't a bad thing.

"I wouldn't go that far. I'll try though. Maybe one day I will be."

"I think you helping to save the world would definitely give you an edge on that." Buffy said, nudging Faith's shoulder with her own.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

Buffy grabbed Faith's arm, and started to walk in the direction of the library.

"Faith, what made you change your mind?"

"I realized that maybe I'm not the way I thought I was, I guess. And maybe some other things weren't the way I thought they were, either." She glanced over Buffy for a moment.

Buffy took the hand that brushed against the back of hers with every swing of Faith's arm. She gripped it gently, very much not looking at Faith.

"What made you stop hating me?" Faith asked.

"Honestly, I never started. I've felt a lot of things for you, anger, hurt, confusion, and jealousy, sure. Hate, not so much."

"No way." Faith gave her a disbelieving glance, but seemed weirdly grateful that Buffy would lie about it to make her feel better.

"I probably could have gotten there eventually, but so far, 'way.'"

They had reached the entrance of the school, and stopped.

"You ready to face the music?" Buffy asked nervously, talking to the gang was probably going to be the really hard part. Never mind the immortal Mayor.

"Well, you know how much I love dancing."

Chapter end notes:

Hope you enjoyed.


Chapter Views: 5708




Please note: If you are using IE (particularly IE9) and having problems with the review form, try turning off text editor. Otherwise, try a different browser.