The Chosen Two Archive
A Buffy/Faith Fanfiction Community

The Chosen Two Archives

BROWSE BY:

Relationship [278]
Season [231]
Character
Genre

Archive Links:

Twitter
Awards
Tumblr
Links

Site Info

Members: 1535
Series: 20
Stories: 289
Chapters: 1550
Word count: 7908585
Authors: 58
Reviews: 2554
Reviewers: 156
Newest Member: Bablezmith
 

Search





Enemy Mine by areanna123
[Reviews - 11]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter notes:

Disclaimer: I do not own Btvs

A/N: This was originally just going to be one chapter, but I decided to add a few. 

Buffy's arm was jerked back suddenly as Faith stopped outside the library doors.

Buffy studied the other girl, taking in the tension in her shoulders and the downturn of her lips. Faith was hard to read, she still looked as cold and daring as ever, but there was something else as well, a twitchiness that Buffy hadn't really anticipated. Though, now that she thought about it she probably really should have seen it coming What they were about to do wasn't going to be easy.

"Faith...are you okay?"

"Five by Five."

Well, she sounded sure, but that nervous energy was still as strong as ever. Besides, Buffy was kind of coming to the realization that even though it seemed like Faith was saying she was okay when she said 'five by five,' that she usually didn't look okay. Why Faith couldn't ever say anything what she was thinking, Buffy didn't know, but it was confusing and annoying, and Buffy wished that she could just make her cut it out.

"Are you sure?"

"Course. Why wouldn't I be? It's just your little helper monkeys, nothin to worry about."

It was truly amazing how her feeling's about Faith could change on a dime, Buffy marveled. One second she feels all concerned, affectionate, and enthusiastic about Faith turning on the Mayor, and the very next she has to fight the urge to punch her. Faith just has a talent for being both incredibly charming and incredibly annoying.

"This will probably go a lot smoother if you could avoid calling them my 'helper monkeys.' Or anything really. I would recommend keeping the talking, and grunting, to a minimum."

"Anything else you want me to know 'oh wise one?'" Faith asked mockingly, her voice getting higher as she spoke until it cracked on the last word, to Faith's embarrassment. Buffy took that to mean that Faith was a lot more fazed by what was going on than she was trying to appear.

"Yeah. I've got your back."

Faith blinked and looked at Buffy suspiciously, and Buffy stared back. After a moment Faith let out a long breath, and relaxed minutely. She made an overly dramatic 'after you' gesture with one of her arms, even bowing slightly for effect. Buffy squeezed her hand reassuringly as she led the way through the library doors.

"Hey, guys! Don't freak out."

*

Maybe not the best way to start a delicate conversation, but it was the best she could think of.

Everybody turned around, somewhat warily, to find out why they would be freaking out. Faith elbowed her in the ribs, apparently unimpressed. Buffy slapped her arm in retaliation without looking at her, and tried not to let the unenthused reactions of her friends get her down. They admittedly had a reason to feel that way, she just hoped that they would be able to get past it eventually.

"Why would we freak? I mean it's not like you've brought a dangerous brunette with a body count, and a penchant for torture into our midst. Again." Xander said nervously, and of course critically.

Buffy was big enough to admit that he wasn't entirely wrong, though. Not that it made her any happier to admit. Or that she had any intention of telling him that. Willow seemed to be right there with him, nodding rapidly, if apologetically at the Angel allusion. Giles leaned back against the counter by his office with his arms crossed, and looked between Buffy and Faith with a curious and solemn expression.

Faith snatched her hand back from Buffy immediately, and began scuffing the ground with her boot moodily. Buffy was a little annoyed, a bit from the loss of contact, but mostly because Faith looked more bored and resentful, than apologetic or even particularly concerned about what was going on around her.

Buffy was about to snap at her when Faith glanced up at her, and flicked her eyes over the Scoobies anxiously, silently asking for help without actually having to swallow her pride and say the words. Now she felt kind of guilty. Reading Faith had never been a talent of hers, she should probably just try to avoid thinking that she knew how Faith felt about anything.

"Faith has decided that she will be rejoining us. Which is very good, and I am very happy to have her back. We still have our issues to work out, but I think we can get there, at least I'm totally down to try."

"I understand that you guys love each other very much-"Willow rolled her eyes as she exaggerated,"-but Buffy, how do we know that she's not just trying to spy on us for the Mayor? You know, like she has a history of doing."

Willow asked, looking right at Faith, almost daring her to say something.

"What are the odds of that happening twice?" Buffy inquired uneasily.

"It's not a bad theory, you probably wouldn't see it coming." Faith said, sticking up for Willow.

Buffy wanted to smack her forehead, and turned to Faith slowly.

"Don't help. Just...no."

She waited for Faith to blow up at her, and honestly, it looked like Faith kind of wanted to. Her fist clenched by her side, but she also had her head tilted to the side, her eyebrows drawn tightly together, as if she was taking the criticisms seriously, and thinking it over. It certainly wasn't a response that Buffy was expecting, but it was one that she was grateful for. Faith could be...volatile.

"I think she's telling the truth, that she wants to be here. I believe her. And that's only partially because I know firsthand how bad of a liar she is."

Buffy tried to keep her focus on the Scoobies, but she was admittedly a little distracted by Faith shooting her a look of disbelief and raising her arms in a 'let me stop you right there' gesture, before apparently remembering that this was neither the time or the place to be bragging about her 'skills' in duplicity.
She hastily dropped her hands, sort of shook them awkwardly like she didn't know what to do with them, before placing them on the counter by the weapons cage, and used them to pull herself up on top of it.

Buffy managed to tear her eyes away once Faith had settled, and saw Willow looking exasperated with Faith's antics, which had somehow managed to be incredibly distracting for everybody in the room, despite the fact that Faith wasn't actually doing anything too out of the ordinary, or even making any noise.

Giles opened his mouth to say something, but was interrupted by Angel walking through the doors. He didn't say anything, just looked at Buffy and raised his eyebrows. Buffy sighed.

"So, what's up?"

"I was taking a walk and saw you and Faith cuddling on the way over here. Figured something was going on. Maybe I can help?"

Angel shrugged and nodded at Faith, not quite like she was a good friend, but he also wasn't treating her like an enemy. Wary, but still somewhat warm. Faith nodded back, looking more relaxed with Angel around.

Buffy didn't know what to make of that, they had never actually been friends or anything. Maybe it was just because he had given her the warmest reception? The only other explanation that was coming to mind was that she actually liked him, and Buffy was suddenly assaulted by images of the two of them hanging all over each other, and discussing torturing her.

She flinched, and only felt worse when she saw that both Angel and Faith had noticed, and were exchanging guilty glances. It looked like they were doing some silent communication thing. Buffy had no interest in seeing more, and cleared her throat before responding to Angel.

"Yeah, Faith is back with us. She's had a change of heart. And there was no cuddling. Just walking close together."

Angel turned to Faith curiously. Faith sighed, ran her fingers through her hair, and shrugged.

"'True evil' was a little too rich for my blood."

Angel nodded, as if her comment made sense.

"I blame the economy." He said dryly, his lips turning up at the corners.

Faith nodded in mock serious agreement, and apparently that made the two of them officially buddies, Buffy realized with a sting of annoyance as Angel stepped closer to stand right next to them. Having both Angel and Faith so close to each other, and her, had Buffy somewhat unnerved for a multitude of reasons. Pretty much all of them she had no desire to think about.

There was also a small part of her, that she really wasn't proud of, that was grateful for the back up. At least it wouldn't be like the other times that she had gone against what the group wanted, and was then subjected to a Scoobies bashing. Maybe she was being a little harsh on them, Buffy felt that they usually did have some reason to be, mildly, displeased, but it never made it anymore fun.

Then again, she was also pretty sure that she would not be particularly happy if Faith or Angel decided to play hero and tore into her friends, either. Buffy was starting to get a headache just thinking about it. Why did everything have to be so complicated? The best solution was probably just to try to keep everything civil in the first place. Hopefully it would be easier to accomplish than she was anticipating.

"Now, I know that none of you guys are particularly happy about this, well, except Angel-"

Buffy said that last part a little more sharply than she meant to, and with a bitterness that surprised even her.

Angel and Faith glanced at each other awkwardly, and scooted a little further apart. In what looked like a show of goodwill, Angel reached over and patted Faith on the shoulder. Faith didn't seem to know what to do with that for a moment, before she shrugged, curled her hand into a fist, and nudged Angel in the shoulder with it playfully.

They kindly smirked at each other, and leaned back, suddenly completely serious at the same time. It was disconcerting for a moment, but at least Buffy felt her jealousy ebbing away. Seeing them together felt less like watching the person she liked being with someone else, and more like she was watching her crush interact with their very similar sibling. Ugh, they were even dressed the same. Dark pants, black shirt, and leather jacket.

Now she just had to figure out which one was the crush. She had issues, major issues, Buffy acknowledged this, and it seemed that she had a type. And an audience, who were all impatiently waiting for her to continue. What had she been saying? Something about Faith joining the gang.

"Anyway, I think we can change you minds. Especially since Faith here, had an idea that might take down the Mayor. Well, the beginning of an idea, it could probably use a little fine tuning, but the basis I think is pretty good."

Buffy turned and put her hand on Faiths knee, and nodded encouragingly for her to take over. Faith hesitated, and that hesitation was just the opening Willow needed.

"Look, Buffy, I can see that this is really important to you, and I want it to be true, for you, but can you sort of see why we don't think trusting Faith, and whatever plan she has, is a good idea?"

"Yeah, Buff. We just don't want you, or us, getting hurt here! She's burned us before, who's to say that she's not just dying to give it another go?"

"I say, Xander! Besides, I'm just asking you to hear her out, not invite her to your birthday parties. She knows what she did was wrong, and she's sorry. Not to mention the whole having an idea that might bring down the Mayor thing, that you guys still haven't let us tell you."

"You keep saying that she's sorry, that she wants to come back, that she knows she was in the wrong, but Buff, I haven't heard Faith actually say any of that." Willow pointed out.

Buffy frowned as she realized that though she was pretty sure that what she was saying was true, Faith actually hadn't said any of it directly. It wasn't like she'd been jumping in and disagreeing, though. Or even defending herself from what everybody was saying about her. That should count for something.

"In all fairness, we haven't really given her the chance to, since she arrived here." Giles stated reasonably, he wasn't against giving Faith another chance, though he wasn't entirely optimistic about this.

Buffy squeezed the knee she was still holding, and put her other hand on it as well, and started tracing patterns on it. The only person who didn't look surprised by her movement was Faith,who was thinking so deeply that she might not have even noticed. Buffy fought off her embarrassment, and kept her hands where they were.

Faith was more touchy feely than talkative, and if anything was going to keep her calm during this, it was probably going to be Buffy staying close. Well, that was the theory she was working with anyway. It was also possible that it would have the opposite affect, and that she was just going to make things worse.

She stared at Faith, willing the other girl to just apologize already, so that they could get this meeting over with. Faith met her gaze, and seemed to understand, but was also apparently conflicted. She tapped her fingers on the back of Buffy's hand, her nails making slight crescent shaped marks.

Then she turned to Angel, as though for a second opinion. He raised his eyebrows and tilted his head. Faith groaned and slid off the counter, pressing her completely against Buffy as she faced the others.

"Um, what I did was wrong, and I'm sorry?"

It sounded like she was reading from a script, as she basically parroted back what they had been saying. The Scoobies weren't impressed. Giles took his glasses off to clean them, with a disappointed, but unsurprised glint in his eyes. Xander made a noise of disgust, and Willow looked like she was on the verge of saying 'I told you so.'

"Faith."

Buffy said, a little hurt. Faith rubbed an arm, and rocked back and forth on her feet for a moment. She seemed more agitated now, but was trying to keep herself cool.

"B. this just...I mean it, I'm sorry about what happened, I really am, but I don't feel like apologizing to them. Okay, Xander sure, I regret attacking ya, that wasn't okay, and I'm glad Angel stopped me. I don't actually remember most of it, but still, I'm sorry, and if I could take it back I would."

Faith looked right at him, her voice wavering a little at the end. Xander looked at the ground not saying anything, and Faith sighed before continuing.

"Everything else though, it was nothing to do with them. I've sat here and listened to them dissing me for a while now without doing anything to them, I don't owe them anything more. I'm not going to grovel, and beg them to let me into their tight knit little group. They didn't want me before, and after everything, I get them wanting me less now. I understand where you guys are coming from. I'm still not sayin that stuff to you, though.

"If you want me to work with them, then fine, I will, but the only people I'm apologizing to are you and Angel. I don't really think here in front of your friends is the place to do it, but if you think it's best, I will.

"Now we can talk about the Mayor, you could ask me to do the whole apology thing now, for you and Angel, or I could walk out the door. You do the little presentation. We can meet up, and talk it over later, just you and me."

Faith was resolute. Buffy could see that she felt that she was in the right, and she wasn't going to be swayed or told off for doing it. The thing was that Willow and Xander still didn't seem pleased, but Buffy didn't know how to refute what Faith was saying. Surprisingly, she had a point. Outside of the apology that she had owed Xander, and that she had just issued, nothing she had done really did have anything to do with them.

"So, betraying us doesn't count?" Willow asked.

"Betrayal only comes from the people that are close to you. I wasn't."

Faith crossed her arms, and tilted her chin up.


"Let's talk about the Mayor."

"Buffy, are you sure about this?" Giles asked.

She nodded, and Giles gestured for Faith to speak.

"Boss, Mayor Wilkins I mean, he wants me to pick up something for him tomorrow at the airport. I'm supposed to make sure it reaches his office safely. I don't know what the package is, except that it's a weird looking box, the box of Gavrok, he had a picture of it in one of his books, I could probably point it out if I saw it again. Anyway, he says that it's the key part to his Ascension. No box, no take over."

She turned to Buffy to tell them the next part. Buffy knew that was a smart move, they wouldn't take this well coming from Faith.

"Faith will be our mole for the next twenty-four hours. She's going to hang out with the Mayor and get his box just like he expects. Only difference being that we're meeting her at the airport, the box is coming back with us, and so is Faith."

"It sounds kind of like your entire plan hinges on trusting that this isn't all an elaborate trap." Xander said, skeptically.

"Yes. But most of our plans hinge on them not turning out to be traps, so I don't really see your point." Buffy responded obstinately.

"Right, sorry, let me clarify. It sounds like our entire plan hinges on trusting Faith."

"It does." Buffy nodded.

"It's one thing to ask us to work with her, but it's kind of another to pretty much put the fate of the world in her hands, Buffy. If she's telling us the truth." Willow said, not looking optimistic.

"Does anyone else here have a better plan?"

Buffy raised her eyebrows, and waited for one of them to say something. They didn't.

"Now, once Faith has the box what do we do with it?"

Giles pulled out a few of his books.

"First we should find out anything we can about the Box of Gavrok. If we can find a way to destroy it, than I believe we've won."

"So, research now, box retrieval and destruction here tomorrow night."

Buffy grinned, they were close, this could all be over soon, the world saved, the Scoobies were looking a heck of a lot less mad, and Faith was back on the side of right. Maybe she wouldn't have to change her college plans after all. And there goes her good mood. For some reason every time she thought of leaving she felt sick.

Angel smiled before speaking to Faith.

"You ready to quit your job?"

"Way ahead of you."

Faith pulled a folded up piece of paper out of her pocket, and handed it to him. Angel's eyes widened in surprise, and Buffy read it over his shoulder. It actually was a very well written, professional, letter of resignation.

"Seriously? Why?"

Buffy stared at the other girl. She couldn't comprehend what was happening here.

"Just because I'm cutting ties with him, doesn't mean I should try to leave on bad terms. Trust me, he'll really appreciate the gesture. He's the one who me taught about a wide variety of documents, and professional etiquette."

"...I'm sure he will. Let's never talk about this again."

"Hello? Slayers? A little help with research."

Xander barely glanced in their direction as he held a book up over his head, and waved it around. The Scoobies had all taken seats at the rectangular table in the center of the library.

"I'll talk to some people I know, see if anyone has heard of the Box of Gavrok."

Angel said, before turning and strolling out.

"I can't stay either. I don't think that the Mayor has anybody following me, exactly, but someone will probably notice if I'm here all night."

Faith didn't seem particularly cut up about not being able to hang with the gang and research, but Buffy didn't think she was lying either. Besides Faith had already been a tremendous help, and would continue to be one if all went well, so Buffy wasn't inclined to stop her if she felt that she had to leave.

Still, she didn't want the group planning session to be the freshest thing on Faith's mind before she went back to the Mayor, who she had an obviously close relationship with. Buffy wanted to trust Faith, and she did believe that Faith had good intentions being here, but she didn't know how well that would hold up in the morning when she was surrounded by the Mayors paternal presence.

"Hey, can we talk for a second?"

Faith looked like she wanted to make some smart comment, but shrugged instead anyway, and let Buffy lead her to Giles' office.

**

Buffy shut the door, and leaned back on it for a second, before straightening, and stepping back into Faith's space.

"Thank you. I know that all of this wasn't easy, and you were really cool about it. How does it feel to be the one that's going to save the world, this time?"

"Eh, it's alright."

Faith said, trying to play it off like it was nothing. She seemed to waver between not wanting Buffy's praise, as if it meant that Buffy was still the superior one, and thoroughly enjoying the praise.

"We're really counting on you, I know you'll pull through."

"I'll try not to let ya down. Y'know, because being the big hero does have a certain appeal."

"Mmm, sure, of course that's the only reason."

She got a teasing smirk out of Faith.

"What, B? You think I'm just trying to impress you?"

"Please, you're always trying to impress me. If it makes you feel better, I'll go ahead and tell you that it works, sometimes."

Faith's smile dropped a little at that, and she dropped her eyes to the ground.

"That's pretty much what got us here. Me showing off to get your attention, and then messing everything up, like I always seem to do."

"We both made mistakes. Something really awful happened, and nobody knew how to deal. What happened with Finch, and even you going to the Mayor, I don't think it was just your fault. Everybody screwed up, and you're the one that's trying to fix it."

"You're the person who gave me the chance to. That isn't nothing either."

"Things will be different now, the guys will get over this stuff eventually. They aren't bad people, the just feel a little hurt right now. They aren't going to hold what's happened against forever, probably not even for a month. They work with Angel, and he did way worse stuff than you have."

"It doesn't really matter."

Faith shrugged. Buffy frowned, not sure what Faith was trying to say. She and the Gang had never been close, so maybe she just didn't care about their opinions one way or the other?

"What do you mean?"

"Well, you guys are all graduating, right? Going your separate ways. Red's probably going to some Ivy league school, Xander's doing whatever, the Watchers are either staying here, or following you, and you're going away, right? Taking some time off from being the Slayer, as if you could, was what you wanted, wasn't it? I'm thinking of either staying here or heading to another Hell mouth as soon as this is over, so I don't think their opinions are going to be a problem for much longer."

"Yeah, I guess you're right."

Buffy tried to sound upbeat about it, but she was fully aware that she sounded more like she was talking about her dog getting run over. Faith looked surprised, and raised a hand as though to rub Buffy's arm comfortingly, but put it down instead at the last minute. It was as if Faith wasn't sure she was allowed to touch her, even though Buffy had been all over her all night.

"Somethin' wrong?"

"No. I don't know. You're right, this is what I wanted, a chance at a normal life, but I guess I'm going to miss this. Not just my friends, though I really do love them, but weirdly enough Sunnydale too. All of badness has happened here, but there's been some good times too."

"You don't have to leave forever. In fact, I'm pretty sure that your mom would kill you if you didn't visit every holiday. Least that's what she was saying on Christmas, y'know the second date you stood me up on. But whatever."

"One, those weren't real dates, stop acting all wounded. Two, Homecoming wasn't like I just thought it'd be funny to bail on you, I got hunted by vampires, demons, and Germans, and I was with Cordelia. Christmas, an evil entity tried to get Angel to lose his mind and give himself a really bad sunburn, I had to save him! I didn't want to ditch."

Faith smirked easily, and ran her fingers through her hair. Honestly she was just making it messier, and Buffy couldn't resist leaning over and pushing a few strands out of her face.Faith raised both eyebrows flirtatiously as Buffy lingered a little longer than necessary, but didn't say anything about it when she responded.

"Yeah, I know. You're going to be all right, it'll all work out in the end, I'm sure."

"Thanks. I still have time to think things over. Not a lot, but senior year isn't over today. So, you're planning on taking over as Slayer in charge if I leave?"

"Someone has to, and you've served your time, maybe it's time that I take a turn in the drivers seat. And you deserve a chance to be happy. If leaving this behind is what will do it, which I still don't understand how not Slaying could make you happy, but if it will, you should go for it."

"Maybe. I, just, what if it doesn't? What if I'm destined to be like this forever?"

"There are worse lives to lead than being a hero, trust me, I know that one for sure."

"But just because it's not the worst life, doesn't automatically mean that it'll be a good one."

"True. I don't really know what to say. You're kind of bringing me down B. What do you say we focus on the present. We're on the brink of victory, and summer is just around the corner. Find the fun."

"Good points. Still, I want to ask you something."

Buffy paused to make sure she had Faith's permission. Faith looked wary about where this could be going, but nodded her head in acceptance anyway.

"If I decided to stay on as a Slayer, not saying that I would, but if I did...would that effect our relationship? I know you said that you feel like we treat you like you're the second string Slayer, and I guess you aren't exactly wrong about that, so do you want me to leave?"

Faith sighed out slowly, crossed her arms, and refused to look at Buffy.

"Yes, and no. I don't know. I'm done sharing, we've said a lot, and I'm glad we're getting along, but I think we're good. Sides, I really do have to go, longer I'm here the higher the chances are of me getting found out."

Buffy really wanted Faith to answer the question, but figured that she had already pushed the other girl to the max. She wasn't wrong either, they had talked more about their feelings than ever before over the last few days, and Faith really should probably be heading back. It wasn't comforting that the thing that Faith was touchiest about, was her feelings regarding Buffy, though.

"Okay."

Faith uncrossed her arms, and started heading for the door. Buffy grabbed onto her sleeve, and pulled her back. Faith gave a slightly startled glance, but stayed relaxed, and Buffy pulled her into a hug. Which was when she got tense.

She settled into it after a moment, and Buffy tightened her grip slightly. She tried to ignore the annoying dark hair that was on her face, whatever Faith had done to get it so straight was wearing off, and it was on it's way back to wavy. She buried herself deeply into Faith's neck. Eventually the moment ended, and Faith pulled back reluctantly.

"I'll see you tomorrow night."

"Yeah, Faith. Good luck."

"I'm thinking you're the one that's going to need it. I just have to get a box here. You're the one that's researching the night away."

"Thank you for reminding me."

"You're welcome."

Buffy rolled her eyes, and tried not to smile. Faith's smugness indicated that she wasn't exactly successful. She opened up the office door, and Faith walked out. Buffy took another minute for herself to think, before doing the same. By the time she had stepped out Faith had already gone, and the others were deep into their research.

"So, which book should I start with?"

Chapter end notes:

Hope you enjoyed. 


Chapter Views: 3438




Please note: If you are using IE (particularly IE9) and having problems with the review form, try turning off text editor. Otherwise, try a different browser.