The Chosen Two Archive
A Buffy/Faith Fanfiction Community

The Chosen Two Archives

BROWSE BY:

Relationship [278]
Season [231]
Character
Genre

Archive Links:

Twitter
Awards
Tumblr
Links

Site Info

Members: 1536
Series: 20
Stories: 289
Chapters: 1550
Word count: 7908585
Authors: 58
Reviews: 2554
Reviewers: 156
Newest Member: elamanuela
 

Search





Give Me Forever by Really-an-angel
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Story notes:

Sequel to Give Me Tonight

Give Me Forever

"It's a stupid idea."

"It's not a stupid idea," Willow Rosenberg replied calmly. "I think it's very romantic."

"It's stupid," Faith repeated, crossing her arms and pouting. They were standing out on the street, other people going about their everyday business and swearing or glaring in their direction, as they had to veer around the two stationary women.

"It's not, Faith. It's a very good idea on your part. Who knew you could be so romantic," Willow teased.

"Hey! Did I not take her out to dinner last year?" Faith protested. "I can be romantic. I just choose to suppress that side of me."

"Dinner last year was my idea and you went along with it for the good deed points," Willow reminded the brunette. "And stop pouting."

"I'm not poutin'!"

The redhead smiled in amusement. "The dark, dangerous, bad Slayer, afraid of..."

"I am not afraid!" Faith interrupted, outraged. "I ain't afraid of anythin'!"

Willow reached out to rub Faith's arm affectionately. "But something is bothering you, right?" she asked gently. "You can talk to me, Faith. I won't laugh at you or belittle your concerns. I consider you a friend, I'm here to help in any way I can."

"I'm not bothered," Faith huffed, putting on a tough act. "It's just a stupid idea!"

"Get out of the way!" a businessman snapped at the pair, as he ground to a halt before he could smack into Faith.

"Keep walkin', shit-head, before I rearrange your face!" Faith growled. Dark, angry brown eyes watched the little weasel gulp nervously, then scurry away. She sighed as she looked back to Willow. "She'll hate it!" she said, running a hand through her loose hair.

"She won't hate it," Willow replied calmly. "Buffy's a girly-girl, she'll love it. The whole romance of it will appeal to her. She'll love you even more than she does now for thinking of it."

"So you think it's a good idea?" Faith asked, shifting her stance nervously.

"I do."

"I take her out to dinner at the restaurant where we had our unofficial first date last year, then in front of a whole bunch of people we don't know, I pull out a ring and ask her to marry me," the Slayer summed up.

"Perfect," Willow smiled, envisioning it in her head.

Brown eyes widened in fear. "What if she says no?"

Willow rolled her eyes. "She won't." At least I don't think she will!

"She might! She's Buffy! She's unpredictable like that!" Faith was on the verge of having a full blown panic attack. "She'll say no, then leave me sittin' in the middle of the restaurant on my own, all those strangers starin' at me, laughin', or pityin' me!" She shook her head and took a step backwards. "I'm not doin' it."

Willow sighed. "All right, don't. Just take her out to dinner, then maybe propose back at the house," she suggested. "You'll have privacy there and if she leaves, you'll be able to sit down and play your computer games or watch T.V." Seeing Faith was genuinely nervous, Willow wrapped an arm around the younger woman's shoulders. "Do you remember coming to see me to tell me your plans?"

"I know I've been hit on the head a few times, but it was only the other day, Red!" Faith sighed in annoyance.

"Why?"

The Slayer frowned, not understanding. "Why what?"

"Why have you decided you want to propose?"

Faith looked at the redhead as though she were crazy. "Because I love her. Even if she has a habit of drivin' me crazy. I want to spend the rest of my life with her, if she'll have me..." She scowled. "Why are you grinnin' like a crazy person?"

"Because you're in love!" Willow remarked. "And you want to settle down. Two good reasons to move your relationship to the next stage. Throw in the fact that Buffy is very much in love with you and I think this is a positive move for you two."

Faith scuffed the toe of her boot against the pavement. "You don't think it's too soon?"

"Maybe," Willow shrugged. "Maybe not soon enough." She smiled at the brunette's confused look. "I've heard of people getting married soon after meeting. When asked why, they reply that they just knew they belonged together. You and Buffy have history, but you've overcome that. You're like yin and yang, but you work. You've grown up, Faith, changed for the better. You've given up your get-some-get-gone attitude and cigarettes, and Buffy's stopped hitting you."

"You make good points," Faith smirked.

"So... we're going in?"

The smirk faded, brown eyes on the door in front of her. "Maybe I should wait. Maybe a year together isn't long enough."

"Faith," Willow sighed. "Not to be rude, or maybe just a little, but I don't have all day to stand outside this jewelry shop with you. I have plans to put together too, you know?"

"Right. Of course. Sorry, Red." Faith straightened her shoulders. "All right, let's do this." She stepped forward, pushing open the shop door.

"Good morning, ladies," and overly cheerful shop assistant greeted them.

"We're browsin'," Faith replied, moving past him to the ring cabinets. She had a rough idea of what she was looking for, she didn't didn't need some employee trying to fob her off with the most expensive ring in the joint just 'cause he was on commission.

"Do you think Kennedy would wear a ring?" Willow asked, eyes on the numerous engagement rings in the cabinet.

Faith looked at her in surprise. "You thinkin' of poppin' the question, Red?"

Willow sighed as she shrugged. "I don't know. Some days we're blissfully happy and I think she's the one I can spend the rest of my life with. Then other days..." she shrugged again. "I don't know."

"You want my opinion?"

"Please."

"You should hold off until you're positive. B's told me a little about you and Tara. How she made you complete, how perfect you two balanced each other. If you're not sure Kennedy's everythin' you need her to be, then don't do it. But, if you can picture yourself settling down with her, then go for it."

Willow blinked at the Slayer. "Wow. I never knew you could be so insightful."

Faith bumped against the other woman. "I have layers."

"I'm beginning to realise that," Willow smiled. She turned her attention back to the jewelry display, getting down to the business of finding the right ring for her best friend. "I think small is the way to go," she suggested. "With Buffy still going out on patrol, she won't want something that will catch on everything."

Faith nodded thoughtfully. "But it has to be... I don't want to say pretty, but..."

"Pretty is the word," Willow smirked. "Buffy likes pretty... and shiny."

"Exactly." Faith sighed heavily, rethinking her proposal idea. "Thinkin' about it, I don't think I'm gonna propose in the restaurant. B could revert back to her old ways and flat-out punch me in the face and if she does that, I don't want witnesses."

"I really don't think that'll happen, Faith. But, all right. What do you suggest?"

"Know anyone single? Someone who is gonna be hangin' around the house tonight?"

Willow frowned, not sure where Faith was going with this. "Of course. Why?"

"Well, while me and B take a trip down memory lane to that fancy restaurant I've got reservations for, this... single person could slip into my rooms and set up flowers, candles, and all that other mushy stuff."

Willow blinked. "Wow, that's... that sounds really romantic, Faith."

"I'm new to this. I'm still learnin'."

"You're a great student. I'd say Buffy would love that proposal. Just the two of you and hey, a bed nearby for afterwards."

Faith laughed. "Look at you all grown up and talkin' about your best friend gettin' lucky!"

"Stop!" Willow bumped against Faith, a faint blush colouring her cheeks.

Grinning, Faith turned her attention back to the engagement rings. "What do you think, a single solitaire style ring, or a trilogy ring?" she asked, pointing out the two she had her eye on.

Willow looked closely at both. "I think you know Buffy pretty well. Either of those would please her. What do you think?"

"Well... the single diamond solitaire is dainty and discreet. It shouldn't catch on everything and won't get her finger ripped off, which suits B's lifestyle. The trilogy ring is a flashy diamond with small diamonds sitting either side of it. Doesn't that say I love you more than the single diamond?"

"Not at all. Have you thought about what sort of wedding band you want? You should try and pick an engagement ring that will sit in harmony with that."

Faith scowled at the rings. "God, why am I doin' this again? I don't know anythin' about this shit!"

"Because you love Buffy, and you want to be with Buffy, and..."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, stop rubbin' it in!" Faith chewed on her bottom lip. "You know... maybe I will propose in the restaurant. Maybe they'll give us a free meal."

"Faith!"

"What? There ain't nothin' like free food," the brunette grinned.

"Why don't you just see how it goes?"

Faith shrugged. "Yeah, that works too."

* * * *

Buffy smiled affectionately as her girlfriend trudged into the living room, where she was sitting watching 'Breakfast at Tiffany's'. "What's the matter, baby?" she asked. "Shopping trip not go well?"

"I hate shoppin'!" Faith complained, flopping down next to the blonde on the sofa and putting her booted-feet up on the coffee table. "I don't know why Red wanted to take me with her!"

Earlier that morning, she had lied to Buffy about her shopping trip. Buffy thought it was Willow's idea to go, therefore throwing the blonde off the scent of what Faith was going for.

Buffy slapped Faith's thigh to get her to remove her feet from the immaculately clean coffee table. "You and Kennedy are pretty good friends. I guess she thought you would have an idea on what she should get gift-wise."

"I don't know anythin' about this mushy stuff," Faith protested, wrapping an arm around the blonde's shoulders, as Buffy settled against her side. "I'm wingin' it with you and we all know it!"

"I've got no complaints," Buffy reassured her. "These last few months have been amazing. Everyone knows my bad track record when it comes to relationships, and everyone knows you never really had a relationship before. But together... we're doing okay, right?"

"I think so. We no longer resort to punchin' each other when we get angry..."

"We just throw ice cream," Buffy murmured, remembering that particular fight.

"I quit smokin' 'cause you hated it," Faith continued. "You get all giggly over me and I smile whenever you pop into my head. And the super friends don't think I'm out to hurt you, which means less evil eyes directed my way. I'd say we're doin' A-okay."

"I agree," Buffy smiled, tilting her head back and waiting for a kiss that was quickly given. She turned her attention back to the television, briefly staying quiet until curiosity got the better of her. "So, what did you get me?"

Faith frowned. "I didn't get you anythin'. You said you didn't want anythin'."

Buffy pulled away from the brunette, outraged that she had been taken at her word. "That doesn't mean I didn't want something! Every girl wants a card or flowers on Valentine's Day!" She crossed her arms in a huff. "I expected to wake up to breakfast in bed this morning, with a single rose and a romantic card sitting on the tray. But you didn't do that and I got over it. Then you said you were going shopping with Willow and I thought you would bring me back something shiny or fluffy or... or at least some chocolates, but you haven't! That's pretty sucky, Faith! You're a sucky girlfriend!"

Faith smirked. "Too right I am! I'll suck on you any time, B. Just tell me when and I'm there," she wiggled her eyebrows.

Buffy huffed in annoyance. "Don't think you're getting any for at least a week, F!"

"What? Why? I just listened to you! You can't punish me for listenin' to you, B. I distinctly remember askin' what you wanted for Valentine's and I distinctly remember you sayin' oh, nothin', just bein' with you is a gift in itself!"

"I didn't mean it," Buffy pouted.

"Well, I didn't know that, did I!" The living room fell silent as they both sat angrily glaring at the television. "I could go..."

"I don't want anything now," Buffy interrupted, arms crossing.

Faith exhaled loudly, irritated. "There's just no winnin' with you sometimes, B!"

Buffy got to her feet. "I'm going to go and see Willow."

Brown eyes followed the blonde, as Buffy padded away in her bunny slippers. "Yeah, well, we got dinner reservations tonight, so don't stay gossipin' with her too long."

Buffy guiltily looked back at her girlfriend. "You made dinner reservations?" she asked in a small voice, feeling terrible for throwing a strop now.

"Yeah, nowhere fancy, just that place we went to last year."

Buffy shuffled halfway back towards the sofa. "Where we had our first not-a-date-date?"

"Yeah. Thought it would be like... romantic or some shit."

A small smile curled the blonde's lips, Buffy reminded just why she loved Faith even when the brunette sometimes drove her crazy. Never one to apologise when she thought she was in the right though, Buffy straightened her shoulders and nodded once. "All right. I'll be back in an hour or two."

Faith was smiling as she watched the blonde leave the room. "Why am I doin' this again?" she asked herself, before turning her attention back to the old film.

* * * *

"She didn't bring me breakfast in bed, or flowers, or a card," Buffy complained, dipping her spoon back into the carton of Rocky Road ice cream. "And when she got back from shopping with you, she hadn't even bought me chocolates." The blonde sighed in delight as she slipped her spoon into her mouth, chilled goodness making her feel slightly better.

Willow smiled sympathetically. "Buffy, you know Faith's new to the whole relationship thing," she said in defense of the brunette.

"I know, but that didn't stop me from getting mad at her."

"You... didn't start an argument, did you? Not on Valentine's Day." The redhead knew how temperamental they both could be, and if Buffy lost her temper and upset Faith, the whole engagement plan could be off.

"I was storming off when she blurted out that she's made dinner reservations at the restaurant she took me to last year." Buffy put her spoon down, not wanting to overdo the ice cream and ruin her appetite. "That's one of the reasons why I love her. She has the ability to surprise me out of the blue." She smiled dreamily as her thoughts turned to her girlfriend.

Willow frowned. "Then... why are you sitting here eating ice cream with me?"

"I had to leave. If I didn't, that would've been like admitting I was in the wrong."

"You were," the redhead protested. "You yelled at her for not making an effort, only she has!"

"Yes," Buffy said slowly. "But I can't say that I was wrong. That's just... wrong."

"Is that Buffy logic?"

The blonde Slayer nodded and smiled. "At its best."

Shaking her head at her best friend, Willow dipped her spoon into the carton of ice cream. "Have you thought about what you're gonna wear?"

"Yeah, but I can't decide. Should I go for a dress or trousers?"

Willow gave it some thought as she licked the back of her spoon. "Hmm... ooh, you could wear that dress you bought the other week when we went shopping. The lilac one."

Buffy nodded. "Or... I have a sexy little black number."

"Little black dresses have a reputation for a reason," Willow agreed.

"And, I have the perfect strappy shoes to go with it," Buffy said happily. She shrugged. "I'll pull them out of my wardrobe and make a choice later."

"Don't leave it too late, Buffy. You know what you're like when it comes to making a outfit decision."

"A decision like this can't be rushed. I'll think on it while I have a bath." Buffy eyed her best friend, noting that Willow looked unhappy, though she was hiding it well. "So, what about you and Kennedy?" she enquired. "Got plans for tonight?"

Willow rolled her eyes. "We're staying in."

"Oh. Well... that can be nice," Buffy tried to be enthusiastic. "Cuddled up on the sofa with a romantic film on, maybe get with the smoochies."

"Or, she puts on some dumb action film, where things blow up and people get shot to pieces," the redhead sighed. "I... sometimes get the feeling that..." Willow looked around, wanting to be sure they were alone. The last thing she wanted was to open up about her concerns, then find someone had overheard and gone to Kennedy about it. "Sometimes, I get the feeling we're drifting apart," she admitted. "There are times when something will happen and it'll smack me right in the forehead just how different we are, you know?"

"Well... that ins't new, Will. You two have always been chalk and cheese. Back in Sunnydale, none of us could understand the attraction, but you guys made it work."

"Maybe that was just because all our lives were in danger. Maybe it was the fear that it may all soon be over was what drove us together, but now that life has settled..." Willow shrugged. "Tara was my first girlfriend and into the same things I was, do you think I should be with someone so completely different from her? Kennedy's not into the magic, she doesn't like the music I like..."

"Faith and I are completely different," Buffy interrupted. "Chalk and cheese. And yet we're somehow in a relationship, somehow making it work." She reached out and covered one of Willow's hands with her own. "Do you love Kennedy?" she asked quietly.

"I... yes, I do. I wouldn't be with her if I didn't."

"She drives you crazy, but there are moments when she makes you deliriously happy?"

Willow smirked and nodded. "Yeah."

"Can you imagine going to bed without her, waking up without her beside you?"

Willow inhaled deeply. "It's been so long since I've slept alone. I'm fairly sure I'd hate it."

Buffy smiled. "You have to look for the positives, Will. Sure, she'll drive you crazy, sure she has annoying little habits you can't seem to get rid of, like putting her dirty boots all over the nice clean coffee table, and sure, every now and then she'll go out drinking with her friends and come home almost paralytic!"

"Are we talking about my girlfriend or yours?"

Buffy waved a hand at the redhead. "My point is, despite all that, we love them. Every now and then they'll say the right words, they surprise us with an unexpected gift, or do something that completely takes our breath away. That's what makes all this small stuff bearable, Will. I would rather have all this irksome stuff, than not have Faith at all."

"Wow, look at you giving out the relationship advice," Willow smirked. "Advice that makes a lot of sense."

"Being with Faith has taught me a lot," Buffy shrugged. "Now," she got to her feet, "I have to go get ready for my date tonight. You gonna be okay?"

Willow smiled and nodded. "Yeah, I'll be fine. In fact, I might just go and surprise Kennedy. You know, just because."

The blonde smiled. "Good thinking. Catch you later." With a wave, Buffy left the kitchen, her thoughts immediately turning to what she should wear that evening and what accessories would go nicely with her outfit.

* * * *

Faith sat opposite Buffy in the Italian restaurant, her foot tapping restlessly, eyes darting about nervously. The small box sitting in her trouser pocket felt like a ten-pound weight.

"Faith, are you all right?"

Brown eyes darted to the blonde. Buffy looked amazing, elegant and beautiful in a form-fitting black dress, her hair was pinned up, showing off a delicate silver cross around her neck and gold hoops in her ear lobes. "Yeah, fine. Why?"

"You seem... nervous."

"What have I got to be nervous about? We're just... here, in this fancy restaurant again."

Buffy frowned as she looked around. "Just like last year," she shrugged, not seeing what the big deal was.

"No," Faith shook her head. "It's different this year."

"Why's it different?"

"We're together this year," Faith explained. "Last year, I just had to convince you to stay and have dinner with me. This year, you're my girl and I have to make this special, make you feel special, and remind you I love you and love bein' with you."

"Faith," Buffy uttered softly, her eyes watering, a lump forming in her throat from the sentiment. "No pressure. I know you love me, you show it every day in little things you do. You always make me feel special as well. Like the other morning, when you woke me up with kisses, then..." Her cheeks turned red as memories of what had come next flashed in her head. "Uhm..." She cleared her throat, whilst Faith sat back smirking. "And afterwards, you made me breakfast in bed and we cuddled up and spent quality time together."

Faith leaned forward and fiddled with her cutlery. "I'm just not good at this stuff, B. I don't wanna screw it up."

Smiling lovingly, Buffy reached across the table and took her girlfriend's hand. "You're doing great, Faith. This return to where we had our first not-a-date-date is a nice touch."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

Faith affectionately squeezed the fingers that held her own. "So, other than not makin' you breakfast in bed this morning, forgettin' to get you flowers or chocolates when I went out shoppin', I'm doin' okay?"

"Pretty much."

"So I might get lucky later?"

"Faith!" Buffy laughed and snatched her hand back, her cheeks again turning red. "Maybe," she said softly, after making sure no one was paying close attention to them. "So anyway," she decided to change the subject. "You went shopping with Willow. Did she... say anything to you?"

"She said plenty to me, B. Anythin' in particular you're interested in?"

"Kennedy. Did she talk to you about her?"

Faith stalled by picking up her wine glass and sipping at the dark red wine. "She mentioned they have good days and bad. Like most couples I guess." She saw something was bothering Buffy and knew the blonde wouldn't bring it up unless pressed. "Why d'ya ask, B?"

"No reason."

"You spent some time with Red today. Did you get the sense somethin' was wrong?"

Buffy hesitated, not sure she should say anything. But we're together and couples share things and tell each other stuff. "I don't think she's happy."

"With work, life, or Ken-doll?"

"With Ken-d... neddy," Buffy corrected herself, rolling her eyes at Faith, as the brunette grinned. "Tara was her first girl love. Into magic, kind, gentle, a calming influence. When she was... killed, Will was devastated. We were all devastated. But Will turned to black magic and tried to end the world because of her pain."

"B, I've heard all this. What's your point?"

Buffy rolled her eyes. "You're so impatient!" she complained. "Willow went to England to get help and only came back because of our big problem. She came back early, she wasn't ready, but she came back, and then there was Kennedy."

"Rebound," Faith filled in, getting Buffy's point suddenly.

"She's the rebound," Buffy nodded. "None of us got the attraction when they hooked up, but we were in the middle of something huge and didn't have time to dwell on it. Things were tense, desperate, dangerous, no one was sure if they were gonna make it... now... now things are different. Things have calmed down, there's no big bad to deal with and things aren't working out between them."

Faith picked up her wine glass. "Babe, no offence, but forget about this."

"Forget about it?" Buffy scowled. "Willow's my best friend, Faith."

"Yeah, but today ain't the day to be worryin' about your best friend's relationship. Today's about us."

Buffy blinked, letting the words digest. She felt her anger subside and shook her head at herself, knowing Faith was right. "I'm sorry. You're right." She smiled and reached across the table for Faith's hand again, wanting the contact. "Today is about us. Everything else can wait."

"Right," Faith nodded. She got the sudden feeling that this was the moment. This was the perfect moment to propose, instead of waiting until they were eating dessert like she had planned. "B," her voice came out nervously high-pitched. She cleared her throat and tried again. "B, this past year has been amazin'. Bein' with you is amazin'..."

Buffy smiled lovingly. "Being with you is amazing, Faith. I thought having feelings for you was crazy at first, but..."

"B," the brunette interrupted. "Just let me... let me talk."

"Sorry. Go on."

Faith frowned, trying to remember her place in her prepared speech. "Uhh... I wasn't sure I could do a relationship, but I can, and I'm glad I found that out with you. It hasn't all been smooth goin', but that's 'cause it's us, and things are never gonna be completely smooth when we're involved. We're passionate, we have fire, so we work and it don't hurt that the sex is fuckin' hot..."

"Faith!" Green eyes darted to the nearest tables to see if her girlfriend had been overheard.

"I know it might seem a bit soon, but what I'm tryin' to say is... SON OF A BITCH!" Faith yelped loudly, as hot carbonara was spilt on her by an off-balanced waiter. She jumped to her feet, pasta and sauce sliding off her to land in a puddle at her feet, and tugged her shirt away from her skin.

"Signora! I am so sorry!" the horrified waiter apologised.

"Faith, are you all right?" Buffy asked, seeing signs of an angry Slayer.

"I want to go home," Faith said surprisingly calmly. "If you don't mind skippin' dessert, B?" She watched her wide-eyed girlfriend shake her head.

"Signora," a dark-haired man greeted, as he hurriedly approached their table. "My sincerest of apologies. Your meal is on the house, of course. It's the least we can do for you."

Faith looked at him, recognising him as the front of house guy. "Throw in dessert to go and you have yourself a deal."

* * * *

Holding onto Faith's arm, Buffy happily strolled next to her girlfriend, as they made their way along the street, heading for home. The evening had been wonderful, well, up until Faith had hot food tipped over her. The brunette was caring, and sweet, and if Buffy remembered correctly, had been in the middle of saying something to her. Something important.

"Faith?"

"Yeah, B?"

"You were saying something back at the restaurant," the blonde reminded her. "Something about it being too soon. What's too soon?"

Faith looked around at their surroundings. It wasn't very romantic and she had drying carbonara all down her. When she proposed, she wanted it to be memorable for the right reasons. "It can wait, B. Right now, I just want to get home and out of these clothes."

"Hmm, I like the way you think," Buffy smiled, boldly flirting.

"You flirtin' with me, Miss. Summers?"

"Bet your cute arse I am. Now, let's get moving."

Of course, life for a Slayer was never that easy and out of the shadows stepped a tall, muscular demon, blocking their path. It was red in colour, with eyes that flickered like dancing orange flames.

"Oh, come on!" Faith exclaimed in disbelief, beginning to think she was jinxed.

"Slayers," the demon growled, hundreds of razor sharp teeth briefly on show. "My name is Cupid and I have come to kill you."

Buffy couldn't help but giggle. "Cupid? You don't look like a cute, chubby little cherub."

The demon growled in annoyance. "I was born on this insipid holiday and my parents thought it would be... amusing."

"Ahh, that's so sweet," Buffy teased.

"I killed them and fed them to my friends," the demon replied, grinning widely and showing off his teeth again.

"O-kay." Buffy looked at Faith. "Honey, would you mind taking care of this? I kinda like this dress and these shoes. I don't want to ruin them."

"With pleasure, B. Got some frustration to get out." Handing the blonde the bag that held their dessert, Faith cracked her knuckles and smirked at the red demon. "You have no idea how much pain you're about to be in." Before she could take a step towards him, Faith found herself hoisted into the air and suddenly flying backwards.

"Faith!" Buffy winced, seeing where her girlfriend was going to land and knowing it was going to hurt.

The Slayer hit the front of a parked car hard, denting the bonnet and making the windscreen implode. Luckily it didn't appear to be alarmed. The last thing they needed was the owner coming out.

"I'm okay," Faith replied, shaking her head and struggling to get up.

"You've pissed her off now," Buffy warned the demon. She leaned back against a car and watched her girlfriend charge at the demon, a flurry of punches hitting him in the face, before Faith was swotted aside by a large fist. Buffy winced as Faith hit ground hard. "Do you need a hand, Faith?"

"No," Faith snapped, embarrassed and pissed off. "I've got it covered, B." Getting to her feet, she ran at the demon again.

"Are you sure? I don't mind jumping in if he's too tough for you." Buffy pouted down at her dress. "Even if it means destroying yet another of my outfits."

"I've got it, B." Faith flipped over the demon's head and landed smoothly behind it. "Just wanted to get warmed up." Grabbing its head, she twisted sharply until hearing a satisfying crack. Cupid fell to the pavement dead, while Faith brushed her hands together. "All right, let's go home. Quickly, before anything else happens."

Taking Buffy's hand, Faith started walking fast in the direction of the house they shared with the other Scoobies. Each step made her nervous though, each step took her closer to having to pop the question.

She wasn't sure it was such a good idea now. It had seemed like it was earlier, but now she was sure she was jinxed, or maybe the day was jinxed. She had food tipped on her, she had a demon kick her arse for awhile and... in fact, now she thought about it, she seemed lighter, her pocket not as bulgy as it was. Slipping a hand discreetly down to her pocket, her worse fears were proven. The box was gone.

Buffy gasped aloud, as she was suddenly tugged to a stop. She looked around, fearing another attack. "What is it? What's wrong, Faith?"

"Nothin'!" Faith responded, trying to work out when she'd lost the engagement ring. "I'm just... uhh... itchy! The dryin' carbonara is makin' me itchy! We better get home." Re! I need to talk to Red! Faith thought desperately. She can do a spell maybe. Hopefully. God, I hope so! If I have to backtrack and search every inch of pavement all night, I'm not gonna be happy!

* * * *

"There's nothin' wrong with my room, B. I just... you need to go wait in yours a minute," Faith told her girlfriend, needing to slip away so she could talk to Willow. She couldn't let Buffy go in her room, where candles had been set up and flower petals scattered until they formed a heart.

"I don't understand, Faith!" Buffy complained. "I can just sit on the bed until you're done showering. You have a television to keep me company."

"I have to go talk to Red first."

"Willow? Why?"

"Damn, woman! Will you please just do as I ask for once?" Before Buffy could respond, Faith hurried up the stairs, heading for Willow and Kennedy's room. Approaching the door, she could hear romantic music softly playing and just knew she was going to be interrupting something. It couldn't be helped. Desperate times called for desperate measures. She knocked on the door and waited.

After a minute or two passed, Willow opened the door frowning, then smiled when she saw it was Faith, only to frown again when she took in the state of the brunette. "Faith! What happened? Did she say no then throw food at you?"

"What? No. We were attacked by this demon..."

"And it exploded on you?"

Faith glanced down at herself. "No. This is carbonara. A waiter dropped a plate on me."

"Oh. That's... unfortunate."

"Yeah, no kiddin'!" Faith snorted. "Look, I need your help. I know I'm interruptin' your night, but I need you to do a spell."

Willow shook her head. "I can't do a love spell. If she said no, then you're out of luck, buster."

"I haven't asked her yet!" Faith snapped, growing frustrated and irritated. "I was gonna do it at the restaurant, but that waiter dropped hot food on me. So I planned to do it back here, but we were walkin' home and got jumped by that demon and... I've lost the ring," she sighed, running a hand through her loose hair. "It must have fallen out of pocket when..."

"Whose at the door, babe?" Kennedy asked, before pulling the door open wider and seeing Faith. "Oh, hey, Faith. What's up?"

"Jesus!" Faith slapped a hand over her eyes. "Could you wear somethin' more revealin'!"

Kennedy looked down at her robe that just about covered her modesty. "You're interrupting our night, Faith. You're lucky I'm wearing anything."

"She'll be back with you in a minute. I'm just askin' a favour. Go away and give us some privacy."

"Can't tell me what to do. This is my door, if I wanna stand here..."

"Kenny," Willow intervened. "I'll be back in a minute."

Shrugging, Kennedy leaned in to kiss Willow briefly on the lips, then disappeared back inside.

"It's probably in this car I got thrown into," Faith said, now that they were alone again.

"You were thrown into a car?" Willow's eyes went wide. "Are you all right? Is Buffy all right? Did you kill...?"

Faith flapped a hand at the redhead. "I'm fine, B's fine, demon's dead. Red, will you do the spell or not?"

"Sure," Willow shrugged. She closed her eyes and muttered a few words under her breath. Holding out her hand, the box that held the engagement ring suddenly appeared. Opening her eyes, she smiled triumphantly at Faith. "There you go, one shiny and very pretty engagement ring."

Faith took the box and cracked it open, wanting to be sure it was okay.

"What are you doing?" Buffy asked from her position at the top of the stairs. "Are you...? Why do you...?" Her eyes widened and flicked from Faith to Willow, then to the ring. "Oh, my God! Are you two...?" Her eyes filled with tears. "I can't believe you'd do this to me!"

Faith frowned not understanding what was going on, while Willow frantically shook her head in denial, knowing just what her best friend had wrongly assumed.

"My best friend and my girlfriend!" Buffy shouted. "Shopping together earlier. What was that? Code?"

Kennedy appeared at the door again. "What's going on? Why's the princess shouting?"

"B, what the hell are you...?" Faith looked from the blonde to Willow, then burst out laughing, as she realised what her girlfriend thought was going on. "There ain't nothin' goin' on between me and Red, B."

"Oh, really? So, I'm not seeing you standing at her door with an engagement ring?" Buffy snapped. "You were acting weird all night, I should have guessed!" She spun around and started marching away.

"Whoa! Hold up," Kennedy spoke up. "What have I missed?"

"Buffy, it's not like that!" Willow called out desperately, hurrying after her friend.

"She's right, B. Red was just helpin' me get this back," Faith said, as she hurried after the pair.

Buffy spun around suddenly, Willow almost smacking into her, and Faith almost into the back of Willow. "I don't want to hear your excuses! I hope you're happy together!"

"Buffy, Faith lost the ring," Willow explained. "She came to see me to ask if I would do a spell to get it back for her."

Faith nodded along, seeing Buffy was starting to doubt her version of events. "She's tellin' the truth, B."

"Then why can't I go into your room?" the blonde asked. "And why have you been acting so weird?"

Taking Buffy's hand, Faith led her over to her room and pushed the door open. She hung back as Buffy inside, the blonde following the petals towards the foot of the bed.

Reaching the heart shape, Buffy turned to face the brunette, frowning in confusion as she found Faith down on one knee. "Faith?"

"I love you, B. Despite your craziness that occasionally pops up, I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you." Faith held out the box. "I know it might seem a bit soon. We've only been dating a year, but technically, if you think about it, we've known each other a lot longer and... I don't want to waste any more time. Will you give me forever?"

Tears falling freely down her cheeks, Buffy nodded as she moved towards Faith. "Yes!"

Smiling in happiness and relief, Faith took the ring out of the box and slipped it onto Buffy's ring finger. "Thank God for that!" she sighed, getting to her feet and wrapping her arms around the blonde.

"Look, Will!" Buffy shrieked at her best friend, who had followed them into the room. She held out her hand for the redhead to see the sparkling diamond ring. "I'm engaged! I'm going to get married!"

"It's beautiful, Buffy," Willow replied, her own eyes filling with happy tears. "I'm so happy for you!"

"That's what all this is about?" Kennedy asked in disbelief.

Buffy let go of Faith and headed over to her best friend, embracing her happily. "We'll have to buy loads of those bridal magazines! I'm not settling for any old dress!" she said, ignoring Kennedy. "Then... then we'll have to go shopping for bridesmaid dresses! Ooh! And you'll be my Maid of honour, won't you?"

"Of course!"

"And Giles can give me away!"

"Just one thing, B," Faith spoke up. "We are not gettin' married on Valentine's Day!"

The End.


Chapter Views:




Please note: If you are using IE (particularly IE9) and having problems with the review form, try turning off text editor. Otherwise, try a different browser.